Free, online CAT tool looking for beta testers
Thread poster: Philomelius
Philomelius
Philomelius
Local time: 09:28
English to French
+ ...
Dec 7, 2013

We have created an amazing CAT tool and it’s completely free. We have made it so much easier to use than the previous tools. With amigoCAT, you get an amazing interface, designed for efficiency and quality. All you need is a browser.

amigoCAT integrates the best terminology tools and will offer you a ton of productivity add-ons to automate as many things as possible, so you can focus on what you do best. With our app, you don’t have to worry about sending files and invoices, get
... See more
We have created an amazing CAT tool and it’s completely free. We have made it so much easier to use than the previous tools. With amigoCAT, you get an amazing interface, designed for efficiency and quality. All you need is a browser.

amigoCAT integrates the best terminology tools and will offer you a ton of productivity add-ons to automate as many things as possible, so you can focus on what you do best. With our app, you don’t have to worry about sending files and invoices, getting paid or managing your schedule. You can very easily find colleagues and clients. Better yet, the clients find you. If you want to send an email to every client you haven’t heard from during the last six months, you can do it. If you want to calculate your mean order, your transformation rate, you can do it. If you want to know how much money you will cash in next month, you can do it. If you’re simply wondering “Am I being productive this week? Could I improve something?” we have the answer to that.

For the first time, if you’re a great translator, you will be picked first for jobs. And with our collection services, you can rest assured that you will get paid, even by foreign clients.
This is what I call the translation revolution: translators will have a better way of doing their job. They will have more time, they will have more money, amigoCAT will have a meaningful impact in their lives.
I think the best way to see what I mean is to try the app. This is not a perfect product, but we will make it better with your feedback. Check our beta registration site at www.amigocat.com !
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:28
Finnish to French
How is "greatness" assessed? Dec 7, 2013

Philomelius wrote:
For the first time, if you’re a great translator, you will be picked first for jobs.

So if I got you right, amigoCAT is not only a CAT tool, it's also a place where "beauty contests" are organized and clients can "pick up" the best-looking translators? If it's some kind of market place like ProZ, where clients can hire translators, how will they be able to know who is a "great" translator and therefore pick her/him up first?

Philomelius
Philomelius
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only a CAT tool for now Dec 7, 2013

Dear Dominique,

No beauty contest there. We will work out the best system with our users. This part is not implemented and up for testing yet. Our objective is to allow serious translators to shine and allow rates to go up, not down as has been the trend for the last two decades.

Only the CAT layer is up for now, and translators will be able to use it as a standalone tool when the full product comes out.

[Edited at 2013-12-07 22:14 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
German to English
+ ...
Questions Dec 8, 2013

It is free. Will it always be free?

Does it include translation memory (TM)? I suppose it must, but I haven't found this stated.

Can the user manually specify exactly what is the next segment to translate? Rules for automated segmentation are often adequate but not always. Examples:
in some cases I want a semicolon (;) to terminate a segment; in some cases I don't.
The text may have a space missing: "This is a sentence.This is another, and the space was miss
... See more
It is free. Will it always be free?

Does it include translation memory (TM)? I suppose it must, but I haven't found this stated.

Can the user manually specify exactly what is the next segment to translate? Rules for automated segmentation are often adequate but not always. Examples:
in some cases I want a semicolon (;) to terminate a segment; in some cases I don't.
The text may have a space missing: "This is a sentence.This is another, and the space was missing."

I stated this problem here, 2 years ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/204631-segmentation_rules_are_not_intelligent_manual_adjustment_is_vital.html

Can existing TMs be uploaded, and can TMs resulting from using this CAT be downloaded (e.g. in .tmx or Wordfast text format)?

Oliver
Collapse

Philomelius
Philomelius
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes to mostly everything Dec 8, 2013

Dear Oliver,

Yes, the CAT will always be free and without limitations of any kind.

Yes, it will support TMs. No offense, but to me this was so obvious that I did not state it. Should I, according to you?

Can the user manually specify exactly what is the next segment to translate? Rules for automated segmentation are often adequate but not always.<... See more
Dear Oliver,

Yes, the CAT will always be free and without limitations of any kind.

Yes, it will support TMs. No offense, but to me this was so obvious that I did not state it. Should I, according to you?

Can the user manually specify exactly what is the next segment to translate? Rules for automated segmentation are often adequate but not always.

A definite no on that, at least for the moment. It would be a technical nightware and application stability would probably suffer. But if our users think this is a must-have, we will do our best to implement it. But not at the moment, though.

Can existing TMs be uploaded, and can TMs resulting from using this CAT be downloaded (e.g. in .tmx or Wordfast text format)?

Absolutely. They are your property. We support .tmx.
Collapse

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:28
Chinese to French
+ ...
That's about how free it is : Dec 9, 2013

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating and improving our Services, and to de... See more
"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services."

"Free" really is the most flawed of words in the English language.

[Edited at 2013-12-09 02:18 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
amigoCAT vs. Wordfast Anywhere Dec 9, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:
"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

To be contrasted with the Terms of use of another free, online CAT tool, Wordfast Anywhere:
All the data maintained by Wordfast LLC on your behalf is kept strictly confidential. Wordfast LLC will not reuse, sell, reveal, distribute or in any way disclose the data you entrust in our servers. We mean all data: documents, translation memories, glossaries, personal information, etc. Documents or accounts that are deleted by you are permanently and irretrievably erased.

[Edited at 2013-12-09 07:16 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFA's terms are just not stated, that's all Dec 9, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

To be contrasted with the Terms of use of another free, online CAT tool, Wordfast Anywhere...

1. You're comparing apples and oranges. The amigoCAT quote is about licence , and the WFA quote is about confidentiality. AmigoCAT also has a statement of confidentiality on their web site -- why not mention it? Why do you compare WFA's confidentiality statement with amigoCAT's licence statement and not with amigoCAT's confidentiality statement?

2. Perhaps the reason why you don't compare WFA's statement about licence with amigoCAT's statement of licence is because WFA doesn't have a statement of licence. With WFA, the Wordfast company chose to make certain assumptions that amigoCAT's developer chose not to make.

The assumption made by WFA is that if a user uploads content to the site, then the user would naturally always consent to the content being stored, copied, hosted, and altered, and that to the alterations being stored, copied and hosted, and that the content and alterations be made available anywhere to in the world, from anywhere in the world. Wordfast chose to risk it and not inform its users of the licence that they implicitly agree to. AmigoCAT chose to put it into words and inform its users of the licence explicitly. Does that make Wordfast a better, more honest company?

Philomelius
Philomelius
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Free" still means free Dec 9, 2013

This paragraph

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly displa... See more
This paragraph

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give amigoCAT a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

Releates to technical aspects necessary for any Internet application to operate. We need your permission to host, store, modify your content (to... translate it) and create and manage your TMs. You own your content, and it is your intellectuel property, as stated

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content.

We will monetize our company with additional services, but the CAT layer will always be free and without limitations.

If Wordfast did not state this in their terms, they should get a better lawyer. Without this, any user can sue on the grounds of copyright and intellectual property, even though we are just using their content for their translation purposes.
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Predictive typing Dec 9, 2013

Any form of predictive typing included?
How does AmigoCAT handle subsegments? Can you get a view of all files in a multi file project?

Philomelius
Philomelius
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We love predicitive typing Dec 9, 2013

Any form of predictive typing included?
How does AmigoCAT handle subsegments? Can you get a view of all files in a multi file project?

We will include predictive typing. Right now we are testing a more basic version of the CAT tool to ensure stability. But it is definititely coming, and soon.

We hate subsegments and hope to limit them as much as possible.

Can you get a view of all files in a multi file project?

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Subsegments are good, not bad (the view from CafeTran). Dec 9, 2013

Philomelius wrote:

Hi Philomelius,

I’m not sure you understood Wolfgang. As far as I understand the matter, subsegments, as in 'subsegment matching' are actually a good thing, and one which only a few CAT tools can currently do.

I think it is called DeepMiner/Assembly in DVX2, and in CafeTran is is just called 'subsegment matching'.

This is how we have described it over at CafeTranhelp.com:

'AUTO-ASSEMBLING EXPLAINED

Auto-assembling, fuzzy and subsegment matching:

These functions make up the core of CafeTran's translation engine, where the current segment is matched against your translation memories and termbases. Auto-assembling is highly dependent on the size of the memory. The bigger the memory is, the more accurate results you can expect. Glossaries can also be used for Auto-assembling.

Exact subsegment matches

These are 100% matches for the subsegments of the current segment.

Fuzzy matches

The program gives three best fuzzy matches for the current segment. The default minimum threshold is 33% of accuracy and can be changed by setting the Fuzzy Match Threshold field in the Edit > Options > Memory dialog.

Subsegment matches

Subsegment matches are approximate matches for subsegments of the current segment.

Note: Move the mouse over the numbers of the hits to display the subsegment in full context.

Fuzzy AutoCorrector

Fuzzy matches can be corrected automatically by applying exact subsegment matches to their missing (incorrect) parts. For example, imagine that you have the following English-Spanish translation unit in your translation memory or termbase
I like the red car = Me gusta el coche rojo
Later, when you translate the similar English sentence such as:
I like the blue car (Me gusta el coche azul)
CafeTran will retrieve the following fuzzy match from your translation memory or termbase:
‘Me gusta el coche rojo’
With the Fuzzy AutoCorrector function on, the program can substitute the missing word ‘azul’ for the word ‘rojo’, provided that:

• it finds the translation for ‘blue’ (blue = azul) in your translation memories or termbases, and/or
• it finds the translation for ‘red’ (red = rojo) in in your translation memories or termbases.

The Fuzzy AutoCorrector can be turned on/off by checking/unchecking ‘Fuzzy Auto-correction’ at Translation > Options.

Virtual matches

These are the best subsegment matches of all the subsegment matches, selected by CafeTran. The ‘Subsegment to Virtual threshold’ can be set in the Edit > Options > Memory dialogue.'

Source: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/diving-into-it-automatic-translation-fuzzy-and-subsegment-ma + http://cafetran.wikidot.com/definitions

Michael

PS: Please excuse any errors in the above text. CafeTranhelp.com is a relatively new resource and the work of only two volunteers (Hans and yours truly).

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
subsegments, views Dec 9, 2013

Philomelius wrote:

I think you misunderstood the question. Wolfgang probably referred to the ability that some tools have to extract data at the subsegment level. For instance, in Déjà Vu, it's called DeepMiner. memoQ has something called LSC (Longest substring concordance), which is not the same, but is also subsegment-level stuff.

Dealing with subsegments requires some (actually quite a lot of) extra work (from the tool). You don't have to "hate" subsegments or do anything special to "limit" them: just do nothing and you'll be fine! People who are interested in the subsegment stuff can look elsewhere.
Philomelius wrote:
Wolfang wrote:
Can you get a view of all files in a multi file project?

I'm not sure I understand your question, sorry.

In order to understand the question, you'd need to have some knowledge of tools that use "views", for instance Déjà Vu or memoQ.

Philomelius
Philomelius
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh I indeed misunderstood Dec 9, 2013

We're still working on it. It's not implemented right now.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Supported formats Dec 9, 2013

Supported formats

Word (all versions), PowerPoint (all versions), Excel (All versions) Open Office (all versions) , .txt, .rtf, XML (all versions), HTML, xHTML, TMX, XLIFF, TTX, ODD (all versions), comma separated values (.scv), tab separated valued (.tsv), DocBook and of course PDF. Need more formats? Let us know.

InDesign, InCopy
... See more
Supported formats

Word (all versions), PowerPoint (all versions), Excel (All versions) Open Office (all versions) , .txt, .rtf, XML (all versions), HTML, xHTML, TMX, XLIFF, TTX, ODD (all versions), comma separated values (.scv), tab separated valued (.tsv), DocBook and of course PDF. Need more formats? Let us know.

InDesign, InCopy and FrameMaker are supported by almost all CAT tools. Perhaps you can add support for sdlxliff, mqxliff, txlf formats as well. And PO files.

Selcuk
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free, online CAT tool looking for beta testers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »