Poll: Have an AI subscription?
Konuyu gönderen: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SİTE PERSONELİ
Oct 2

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have an AI subscription?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rocío M. Rodríguez. View the poll results »



 
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danimarka
Local time: 19:06
Üye (2003)
Danca > İngilizce
+ ...
Other - NONE Oct 2

While I admit that AI can be useful in many situations, I prefer to do without it myself.

I avoid the AI-generated summary on Google searches and go to a human-generated source.
Wikipedia does not allow AI-generated content, but AI content may originate from there. I want to know, if possible where the information actually comes from.

You never know how much AI has garbled or hallucinated. You may be able to trust it, of course, while humans are prone to mistakes
... See more
While I admit that AI can be useful in many situations, I prefer to do without it myself.

I avoid the AI-generated summary on Google searches and go to a human-generated source.
Wikipedia does not allow AI-generated content, but AI content may originate from there. I want to know, if possible where the information actually comes from.

You never know how much AI has garbled or hallucinated. You may be able to trust it, of course, while humans are prone to mistakes and misunderstandings, so AI kan find plenty to pass on. I want to judge for myself, if I can!
From there, I formulate my own opinions - then I really have to work them out and stand by them, instead of adopting a phrase that sounds good, but does it really say what I mean?

AI is not actually more intelligent than a picture of Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein or [insert your own suggestion here]. It is just a collection of algorithms, bits and bytes.

Apart from that, AI uses enormous amounts of scarce resources - power, cooling water and web capacity. I believe it should be used carefully, when it serves a purpose, not thrown at everyone, whether they want it or not. I do not need AI and do not know what to do with it, so I leave it for those who can use it wisely.
▲ Collapse


expressisverbis
Aisha Maniar
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Claudio Machado Junior
Harishankar Shahi
Geddy Sokolowsky
Zea_Mays
 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Belçika
Local time: 19:06
Üye (2020)
Fransızca > Hollandaca
+ ...
Affirmative Oct 2

Have a DeepL subscription. Very useful. Not sure interesting question. Will see. Depend on answers. Got to go now. Work to do. Bye. Later.

Chris Spurgin
Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Alex Lichanow
Bruno Veilleux
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
 
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Birleşik Krallık
Local time: 18:06
İngilizce > Lehçe
Other - No Oct 2

Where is a clear answer "I don't have any" instead of choices which one I have. "Other" can mean "I subscribe to something not listed".

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ana Martins
Silke Walter
Maria Laura Curzi
Philip Lees
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portekiz
Local time: 18:06
Üye (2007)
İngilizce > Portekizce
+ ...
Subscription Oct 2

I'm subscribed to DeepL Pro. I used ChatGPT only once out of curiosity and the results made me run away from it as fast as I could...

Claudio Machado Junior
 
Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Almanya
Local time: 19:06
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
No Oct 2

Have a full sentence for the title?

Claudio Machado Junior
Slobodan Vinulović
Daryo
Maria Laura Curzi
Philip Lees
 
Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
Brezilya
Local time: 14:06
Üye (2014)
İngilizce > Portekizce
+ ...
Other = No Oct 2

No. And I don't think I'll ever pay for something like that. The cost of living is skyrocketing, and I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on something else.

Slobodan Vinulović
Silke Walter
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belçika
Local time: 19:06
Üye (2009)
Hollandaca > Flamanca
+ ...
No Oct 2

Didn't fill in the poll. My choice isn't there

writeaway
Ana Martins
Silke Walter
Maria Laura Curzi
Philip Lees
 
Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi  Identity Verified
Hindistan
Üye (2014)
İngilizce > Hintçe
+ ...
The best clarification. Oct 2

Christine Andersen wrote:

While I admit that AI can be useful in many situations, I prefer to do without it myself.

I avoid the AI-generated summary on Google searches and go to a human-generated source.
Wikipedia does not allow AI-generated content, but AI content may originate from there. I want to know, if possible where the information actually comes from.

You never know how much AI has garbled or hallucinated. You may be able to trust it, of course, while humans are prone to mistakes and misunderstandings, so AI kan find plenty to pass on. I want to judge for myself, if I can!
From there, I formulate my own opinions - then I really have to work them out and stand by them, instead of adopting a phrase that sounds good, but does it really say what I mean?

AI is not actually more intelligent than a picture of Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein or [insert your own suggestion here]. It is just a collection of algorithms, bits and bytes.

Apart from that, AI uses enormous amounts of scarce resources - power, cooling water and web capacity. I believe it should be used carefully, when it serves a purpose, not thrown at everyone, whether they want it or not. I do not need AI and do not know what to do with it, so I leave it for those who can use it wisely.



A complete answer and realistic picture. AIs are totally depend on unreliable sources. And language is terrible.


Maria Laura Curzi
Yaotl Altan
 
Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
Birleşik Krallık
Local time: 18:06
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
none Oct 2

I refuse to use AI in my private life after my experience of it prior to quitting the translation profession. I don't feel the need to rely on it when I am perfectly capable of researching a topic and drafting communications using my own competences. My view is that it only serves to benefit people who are particularly lazy or not very competent in the first place by doing the donkey work for them. Also the fact it is so demanding of environmental resources conflicts with my green values.

Maria Laura Curzi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
 
Ricardo Aries
Ricardo Aries  Identity Verified
Endonezya
Local time: 00:06
Üye (2020)
İngilizce > Endonezyaca
+ ...
Claude's Loyal Subscriber Oct 2

I subscribed to Claude Pro. It's not just for term-search assistance. It can handle requests far more complex than simple translation, such as reproducing a raw scanned document from scratch, which helps me produce a finely tuned translation. If you think it's a mistake to use AI in your workflow, then you're missing out a lot.

Alan Corbo, CT
Philip Lees
Marina Meier
WolfgangS
 
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Yunanistan
Local time: 20:06
Yunanca > İngilizce
Research 04:50

I use ChatGPT as a kind of not very bright research assistant when I'm looking for information that is difficult to find using a regular web search - for example, tracking down a series of books I vaguely remember reading as a child. I also use it to help draft official documents in Greek, for submitting applications to various state authorities and so on. Of course, I check everything I get from it carefully before going any further, but ChatGPT can do bureaucratic Greek better than I can - bur... See more
I use ChatGPT as a kind of not very bright research assistant when I'm looking for information that is difficult to find using a regular web search - for example, tracking down a series of books I vaguely remember reading as a child. I also use it to help draft official documents in Greek, for submitting applications to various state authorities and so on. Of course, I check everything I get from it carefully before going any further, but ChatGPT can do bureaucratic Greek better than I can - bureaucratic English, too, for that matter.

And sometimes it's just good for brainstorming.

This is just the free version of ChatGPT - I don't pay for a subscription, which is what I assume the poll was supposed to be asking.
▲ Collapse


Christine Andersen
 
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
İtalya
Local time: 19:06
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
very smart 11:22

Ricardo Aries wrote:

reproducing a raw scanned document from scratch



What a great idea! ...


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
Fransa
Local time: 19:06
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
My impression is 12:04

that most of the answers (no, never...) sound like the times when we all said: nothing will ever replace human translators.

Christine Andersen
Maria Laura Curzi
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Bu forumun moderatörleri
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have an AI subscription?






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »