Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 15:23
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 12

If you want to have a good laugh, followed by a really good cry. Quite amazing. (credits: Mind Huntress on Facebook)

424589787_7165280180174485_1095034954808601500_n

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-12 14:10 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
writeaway
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
ibz
Lingua 5B

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Business thinking Feb 12

This reminds me of an interview with a not so successful businessman who worked in sales. Sales of his goods were very poor, which is why he lowered the price considerably (he thought that this was a very clever move). Sales then went wonderfully well, but to his great astonishment he was still making a loss. His conclusion: Big volumes make no sense if the price isn't right.

Lieven Malaise
Tom in London
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Volume discounts Feb 12

ibz wrote:
This reminds me of an interview with a not so successful businessman who worked in sales. Sales of his goods were very poor, which is why he lowered the price considerably (he thought that this was a very clever move). Sales then went wonderfully well, but to his great astonishment he was still making a loss. His conclusion: Big volumes make no sense if the price isn't right.

Indeed. That's exactly the reason why I never give volume discounts. I've never thought it made sense that you are paid less for more work.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-12 15:05 GMT]

ibz
Tom in London
Lorenzo Meloni
Wolfgang Schoene
Christel Zipfel
Rachel Waddington

Lorenzo Meloni
Lorenzo Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2022)
English to Italian
Don't see the point of volume discounts Feb 12

Honestly, after many years, I still don't understand why volume discounts should even be a thing in translation.
Sure, they make sense if you have a machine printing pieces, where the higher the volume, the lower your fixed costs per piece.
But as a linguist there is no economy of scale, you'll always output the same amount of words per hour, regardless of whether you're translating a 1000 or 10 million.

Tom in London
Lieven Malaise
Wolfgang Schoene
Lingua 5B
Gerard Barry
Rachel Waddington

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have even better to offer Feb 12

Too bad, if anyone would have been interested, the deadline has already passed...:(((

"Manual Italian to German translation project
Veröffentlicht: 10 Feb 2024 12:23 CET (GMT+1) (GMT: 10 Feb 2024 11:23)
A job notification was sent to you.

Job type: Übersetzungs-/Lektorats-/Korrekturleseauftrag
Sub-item Service required: Translation

Sprachen: Italienisch > Deutsch

Job-Beschreibung:
Job Title: Manual Italian t
... See more
Too bad, if anyone would have been interested, the deadline has already passed...:(((

"Manual Italian to German translation project
Veröffentlicht: 10 Feb 2024 12:23 CET (GMT+1) (GMT: 10 Feb 2024 11:23)
A job notification was sent to you.

Job type: Übersetzungs-/Lektorats-/Korrekturleseauftrag
Sub-item Service required: Translation

Sprachen: Italienisch > Deutsch

Job-Beschreibung:
Job Title: Manual Italian to German translation project
Employer: XXX Translations

We have a project needing Italian to German translators.
Applicants need to clarify their proficiency in TRADOS and XBENCH.

If you are interested in doing such jobs, please send your email and template information to:
[HIDDEN]

When you contact, please provide your background information in the following template: [... ]

Budget and payment details:
Hide / show
$0.01 USD to $0.03 USD per word
Estimation in your preferred currency (using today's conversion rate):
€0.009 EUR to €0.028 EUR per word"

Mind you, the job was posted on a Saturday at noon, with deadline at 9:00 the following Monday.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Wolfgang Schoene
Zea_Mays
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
ibz

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 12

"Don't overthink"... right. I shall make a rash decision based purely on gut feeling. My gut is screaming "noooooooooooooooooooooo!". Sorry 'bout that!

Lieven Malaise
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Yuri Larin
Robert Rietvelt
Christine Andersen

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Feb 12

I searched the Net for the full text of the ad job and found it on another translation platform. One thing jumped out at me: the agency begins by saying “My team only uses 100% human translation” but is looking for freelancers who do MTPE…

Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Sebastian Witte
Aurélien ARPAZ
Yuri Larin
Robert Rietvelt

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Mind control Feb 12

Kay Denney wrote:

"Don't overthink"... right. I shall make a rash decision based purely on gut feeling. My gut is screaming "noooooooooooooooooooooo!". Sorry 'bout that!

Mind control: don’t overthink.

The text is hilariously worded. Attach CV by uploading it? Are there ways to attach something other than uploading it? “Lace your shoes by using your fingers”.

Where do they find these assistants and project managers, how do they source them? Just based on that letter, I would turn down the offer, even in the case of a good rate. I can’t trust a company whose employees don’t know how to write.

P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Robert Rietvelt
JH Trads

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
That’s right Feb 12

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I searched the Net for the full text of the ad job and found it on another translation platform. One thing jumped out at me: the agency begins by saying “My team only uses 100% human translation” but is looking for freelancers who do MTPE…

It’s like they have two opposite sides. When they turn to clients, they say “we do human translation only”, and when they turn to translators, they say “we do MTPE only”.

[Edited at 2024-02-12 17:53 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Sebastian Witte
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Volume discounts Feb 12

Lorenzo Meloni wrote:
Honestly, after many years, I still don't understand why volume discounts should even be a thing in translation.
Sure, they make sense if you have a machine printing pieces, where the higher the volume, the lower your fixed costs per piece.
But as a linguist there is no economy of scale, you'll always output the same amount of words per hour, regardless of whether you're translating a 1000 or 10 million.

It's not as simple as that, though, is it? With a big project:

1. You will normally save time by reusing research.
2. You will normally save time by copying repeated text.
3. You will save time on admin.
4. Probably most importantly, you will cut out dead time between jobs.

All the above justify a volume discount.

That said, I don't give volume discounts. I don't see why the customer should get to benefit from the above; I should.

Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Taner Tanrıöver
Philip Lees
Tanja Oresnik

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Neck, hands, eyes Feb 12

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lorenzo Meloni wrote:

That said, I don't give volume discounts. I don't see why the customer should get to benefit from the above; I should.

Will you also save your neck, hands, eyes? You do realize that you will get very tired on a big volume, most likely resulting in drowsiness and turning down other projects.

Lorenzo Meloni
Lorenzo Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2022)
English to Italian
It would already be a win-win Feb 12

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I agree, but the client will also benefit from all 4 points (the TM you build as a result of your research will increase match % and cut costs, same goes for any repeated text, the client will also save time on admin by working with the same linguist and they will eliminate the need to spend time and effort looking for a linguist).
I'd say a long-term collaboration is a win-win for both, so I don't see why a volume discount is needed on top of that.

Then I can definitely see a linguist who's struggling to fill their agenda accept a volume discount to secure a long-term project, but I still don't think it's "right".

P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 08:23
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
That's just the tip of the iceberg Feb 12

"You'll lose money on every sale, but you'll make it up on volume"
"Don't think of rowing one mile is tough, think of the vast ocean, plenty of rowing for the rest of your miserable life"
"Don't think that consistency gets more difficult in large projects, let alone mental fatigue and peripheral artery disease... we'll reduce your invoice further at the end only if the client finds out"
"Meanwhile we're getting $0.20 from the end-client doing nothing, and your friend is still m
... See more
"You'll lose money on every sale, but you'll make it up on volume"
"Don't think of rowing one mile is tough, think of the vast ocean, plenty of rowing for the rest of your miserable life"
"Don't think that consistency gets more difficult in large projects, let alone mental fatigue and peripheral artery disease... we'll reduce your invoice further at the end only if the client finds out"
"Meanwhile we're getting $0.20 from the end-client doing nothing, and your friend is still making money from that fart video he posted on YouTube 10 years ago"
"Oh yeah, we almost forgot, it's your computer and your electric bill. Not ours."
Collapse

Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Magnus Rubensson
JH Trads

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Um… Feb 12

Lingua 5B wrote:
Will you also save your neck, hands, eyes? You do realize that you will get very tired on a big volume, most likely resulting in drowsiness and turning down other projects.

Are you saying you won’t get tired or have sore body parts if you charge full price? 😂

Anton Konashenok

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 08:23
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Large projects, bait for children and beginners, and Nigerian princes Feb 12

Then I can definitely see a linguist who's struggling to fill their agenda accept a volume discount to secure a long-term project, but I still don't think it's "right".

They promise you 20,000 to start, you get a total of 25,000 (if they're honest), you get paid for 15,000.
Proz should make a survey among those working 20+ years in the industry: "How many of the promises about long-term projects actually materialized?" Beginner's bait to lower your price. A large agency had a real long-term project last year for a major retailer. The first files were ok. After two weeks, you ended up "processing" files full of MT and TM matches on a slow online system, average pay resulted in less than $6/hour. Obviously at that point I quit, same day, and asked the PM to reassign my files to anyone else.

Lingua 5B
Renée van Bijsterveld
P.L.F. Persio
Tanja Oresnik
Anne Maclennan

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next-level LSP shamelessness

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »