Time to Raise Translation/Interpretation Rates
Thread poster: Reza Delavari
Reza Delavari
Reza Delavari
Local time: 02:39
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Mar 8, 2022

I have been actively working in translation/interpretation/transcription/editing/proofreading areas for nearly 25 years and I see the world and life expenses have overwhelmingly changed and the prices have gone up multiple times ever since. However, while I started doing translation on the net nearly 20 years ago at the rate of 0.08/w, and I see it not only has not changed upwards and that the translator could be given the right to provide estimates in the past, yet I see now agencies or general... See more
I have been actively working in translation/interpretation/transcription/editing/proofreading areas for nearly 25 years and I see the world and life expenses have overwhelmingly changed and the prices have gone up multiple times ever since. However, while I started doing translation on the net nearly 20 years ago at the rate of 0.08/w, and I see it not only has not changed upwards and that the translator could be given the right to provide estimates in the past, yet I see now agencies or generally clients have come up with new approaches-they send notifications where they include their own prices and rates. Nonetheless, there is yet the worst to come: I have seen on numerous occasions, the rates they had offered were even less than half the regular supposed-to-be rates for proofreading!

I am rather more surprised by all the translators and translation agencies remaining silent and saying nothing about this, than the crazy payment situations.

Therefore, I strongly believe it is time to raise translation rates.
Collapse

Armine Abelyan
ATIL KAYHAN
Slama-Clauzel Traductions
Machteld Sohier
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
English to French
+ ...
And, how do you propose to achieve that? Mar 8, 2022

I am not disagreeing with you, but, do you have a plan?

Reza Delavari wrote:

... I strongly believe it is time to raise translation rates.

[Edited at 2022-03-08 15:18 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Baran Keki
expressisverbis

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:39
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Community Rates Mar 8, 2022

As most folks know, there is a section called Community Rates at ProZ, which is under the Tools menu. Let me quote directly from Community rates:

"This page lists the average rates reported by ProZ.com's community of freelance translators and translation companies. Please be aware that this data does not necessarily reflect the average of rates actually charged and paid for real-world projects; it is only an aggregate view of the rates that users have entered into their ProZ.com pr
... See more
As most folks know, there is a section called Community Rates at ProZ, which is under the Tools menu. Let me quote directly from Community rates:

"This page lists the average rates reported by ProZ.com's community of freelance translators and translation companies. Please be aware that this data does not necessarily reflect the average of rates actually charged and paid for real-world projects; it is only an aggregate view of the rates that users have entered into their ProZ.com profiles. (That said, because the rates entered are used to filter notifications, etc., they can be considered relatively representative of actual fees.) Furthermore, not all users have reported rate data; please take note of the sample size when evaluating this information."

I believe there are ways to tackle this issue of translation/interpretation rates. First, it is to the advantage of translators to report their rates in their ProZ profile. As it says above, there are translators who do not do that now. When your rates are crystal clear on your profile, you naturally reduce your chances of being offered absolute low rates. Also, your rate information is then taken into account when calculating the Community Rates. Second, it is of course your right to determine and announce the rates that you will charge well in advance of doing a job. It is also being honest with yourself as well as with your clients. Needless to say, I always report my rates in my profile. That way, I know where I am going, and my potential clients know where they are going as well. If you feel the need to raise your rates for some concrete reason, then you simply do that by updating your ProZ profile. I think every translator should seriously think about reporting their rates on their ProZ profile.
Collapse

Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Rates on profile seem to be invisible to agencies Mar 9, 2022

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:
First, it is to the advantage of translators to report their rates in their ProZ profile. As it says above, there are translators who do not do that now. When your rates are crystal clear on your profile, you naturally reduce your chances of being offered absolute low rates.

I agree that it's a good idea to put your rates on your profile. However, even though I do that, it seems that many aspiring clients don't look at them, even though they're contacting me through my profile.

Just the other day I had a request for my "best rates in US dollars". Apparently this translation agency was unable to "translate" the euros on my profile page into another currency.

Mr. Satan (X)
Machteld Sohier
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Tony Keily
Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Yes, right Mar 9, 2022

Reza Delavari wrote:
yet I see now agencies or generally clients have come up with new approaches-they send notifications where they include their own prices and rates. Nonetheless, there is yet the worst to come: I have seen on numerous occasions, the rates they had offered were even less than half the regular supposed-to-be rates for proofreading!

I receive such notifications from time to time (usually from the 'London based' agencies peopled by Eastern European PMs), the rates are never more than 4-5 cents per word, and the jobs never remain available for more than 2 minutes. Yes, 2 minutes (I swear I timed it). The bottom-feeders get at those jobs like piranhas devouring a hapless body in the river.
So, for as long as there are people (er 'colleagues') like this I don't quite see how you propose to raise your rates other than deciding 'it's time'.
Mind you, these 'dear colleagues' do not come from Upwork or Fiverr, they find those agencies through Proz, probably after having read and benefitted from the posts of the usual advice-givers on the Getting Established threads.

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Jorge Payan
Matthias Brombach

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 08:39
English to Romanian
+ ...
Keep your Inbox clean Mar 9, 2022

Focus on what matters.

Mental energy is a limited resource. Spend wisely.

Ying-Ju Fang

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Note to self? Mar 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Focus on what matters.

What does that even mean? How does this contribute to this thread?

Does this one fall into the note-to-self category, perhaps?

Baran Keki
Michael Le Cruguel
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
writeaway

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Of course! Mar 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

And you're setting a perfect example of that with your pearls of wisdom on these 'fora'.

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Matthias Brombach

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Barbara, Baran Mar 9, 2022

What do you suggest?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It means... Mar 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

What do you suggest?

... to accept the proposed 4-5 cents, right?

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reply to Mihai Mar 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

What do you suggest?

If you can read between the (many, many) lines I've written to you during the (many, many) stints of you registering/leaving/joining/cancelling/re-registering on this site, you should have a pretty clear idea by now.

Apologies to Reza.

Baran Keki

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thanks Mar 9, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:
If you can read between the (many, many) lines I've written to you during the (many, many) stints of you registering/leaving/joining/cancelling/re-registering on this site, you should have a pretty clear idea by now.

Apologies to Reza.

Thanks, Barbara. I appreciate it.
I like when people are straightforward.

Regards,

Mihai

bytranslators.com

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Can't wait! Mar 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
bytranslators.com

I can't wait to avail myself of the invaluable resources this groundbreaking, breathtaking, game-changing website will provide to us.

Barbara Carrara

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Don't take it too literal Mar 9, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

Focus on what matters.

What does that even mean? How does this contribute to this thread?

Does this one fall into the note-to-self category, perhaps?

It's a kind of "Don't worry, be happy" advice, but then different (I think).

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
A compliment Mar 9, 2022

It's a kind of "Don't worry, be happy" advice, but then different (I think).

Thanks.

@Baran: It is a very limited initiative. Book reviews. It will be online in a couple of weeks. Thanks for raising some attention for it.
Everyone will be welcome, once it is launched.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time to Raise Translation/Interpretation Rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »