Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Enough is enough Mar 10, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Eva Stoppa wrote:
agencies don't seem to care what rates one states on the Profile.

One of the mysteries I have yet to fathom out since starting freelancing (other than Italian translators living in Italy with their parents and working for 2-3 cents per word) is the glowing BB reviews made by European translators (living in Finland, Germany, France etc.) for Indian agencies. When you check out the profiles of some of those translators you see that they work for no less than 0.10-0.12 EUR per word, but the Indian agency they praised so highly offers no more than 0.05 EUR per word for my language pair. So, is there a double standard at play here? Does that Indian agency really fork out 0.10 per word to that Finnish translator, because he is living in an expensive country and deem a few Chapatis (whoops! that's politically incorrect, right?) enough for me and my language? How does that work? Do those European translators feel philanthropic every now and then, and lower their rates to accommodate the agencies of the third world?

Always the same stupid cliché...

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:55
English to Turkish
Care to explain that? Mar 10, 2022

Francesco Toscano wrote:

I have no idea what you're on about.

Danielle Crouch
Danielle Crouch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Found a fix! Mar 10, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

In the Financial section --> Show rate to: Everyone

If it still doesn't show up, wait a few minutes.

Thanks! That particular drop-down menu wasn't what fixed it, but I changed the "Show rates in" menu below it and for some reason now it's working. Technology is weird sometimes...

Mr. Satan (X)
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
The 'bamboccioni' Mar 10, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Francesco Toscano wrote:

I have no idea what you're on about.

Hi, Baran

Being Italian like yours truly, I guess Francesco may have been referring to this snippet specifically, from your previous post,

Baran Keki wrote:
(other than Italian translators living in Italy with their parents and working for 2-3 cents per word)

If this is the case, Francesco could have cropped your contribution, for clarity.

This said, you may want to edit 'translators' to something that better describes those people (they are called 'bamboccioni'* in Italian). As it stands, in fact, that might be perceived as also including professional translators, living on their own and on their hard-earned money.
Not a cliché per se, I concur, though it's a fact that this form of parasitism exists.

'Due to a lack of stable employment, 64.3 percent of young Italian adults aged 18 to 34 still live with their parents. They are known as “Bamboccioni" or "big babies". Recently, Italy's Supreme Court put an end to a judicial saga that had been gripping the country. For the past five years, a 35-year-old part-time musician had been relentlessly suing his father for financial support. But the court ruled against him: in essence, the judges told him "to grow up".'
https://tinyurl.com/356fnkj2

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Figured as much Mar 10, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

If this is the case, Francesco could have cropped your contribution, for clarity.

This said, you may want to edit 'translators' to something that better describes those people (they are called 'bamboccioni'* in Italian). As it stands, in fact, that might be perceived as also including professional translators, living on their own and on their hard-earned money.
Not a cliché per se, I concur, though it's a fact that this form of parasitism exists.

'Due to a lack of stable employment, 64.3 percent of young Italian adults aged 18 to 34 still live with their parents. They are known as “Bamboccioni" or "big babies". Recently, Italy's Supreme Court put an end to a judicial saga that had been gripping the country. For the past five years, a 35-year-old part-time musician had been relentlessly suing his father for financial support. But the court ruled against him: in essence, the judges told him "to grow up".'
https://tinyurl.com/356fnkj2

I've seen it mentioned more than a few times on these forums about a large number of Italian translators bidding for jobs paying 3 cents, and I couldn't (and I still can't) believe it. I mean, Italy is in the EU, the living standards there must be four or five times what we have here in Turkey. When I asked about this, I was told pretty much what you just said. I still can't wrap my head around it. Even if you live rent-free, 3 or 4 cents per word in a EU country sounds mad.
I mean I'm doing alright here, but I couldn't hope to live as a freelance EN>TR translator in Hamburg or Amsterdam. I'd be homeless...
Btw living with one's parents is nothing to be ashamed of. The majority of unmarried/divorced adult Turkish people live with their parents as well.

[Edited at 2022-03-10 12:25 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Matthias Brombach

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Mar 10, 2022

Danielle Crouch wrote:

Thanks! That particular drop-down menu wasn't what fixed it, but I changed the "Show rates in" menu below it and for some reason now it's working. Technology is weird sometimes...

I can see them now...

Mr. Satan (X)

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Parasitism Mar 10, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Maybe you are ignoring the wider picture of Italian culture and society and the Italian employment market? Just wondering...

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ciao, Giovanni Mar 10, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Maybe you are ignoring the wider picture of Italian culture and society and the Italian employment market? Just wondering...

Giovanni, I was merely acknowledging a fact.
Here are the data collected by Istat (the national institute for statistics) for 2020,
https://tinyurl.com/4u45txpr

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Mar 10, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Giovanni, I was merely acknowledging a fact.
Here are the data collected by Istat (the national institute for statistics) for 2020,
https://tinyurl.com/4u45txpr

as I said, I was wondering...

Barbara Carrara

Francesco Toscano
Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
what do Italians have to do with low rates? Mar 10, 2022

[quote]Baran Keki wrote:

One of the mysteries I have yet to fathom out since starting freelancing (other than Italian translators living in Italy with their parents and working for 2-3 cents per word)

You keep saying that there is nothing wrong with your statement. I do not understand how you are allowed to make such a 'FUNNY' post. Do you want a round of applause?

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Sorry if you're offended Mar 10, 2022

Francesco Toscano wrote:
You keep saying that there is nothing wrong with your statement. I do not understand how you are allowed to make such a 'FUNNY' post. Do you want a round of applause?

There is nothing 'funny' about my post. It was your compatriots who brought up that issue of low rates more than once. Check out the past forum topics.

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time to Raise Translation/Interpretation Rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »