Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.
Thread poster: Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Feb 11, 2022

I just had to share this because it is so ridiculous.

I was recently contacted through Smartcat by a person claiming to represent an Austrian University.

This job entailed the proofreading of a transcript of 800 minutes of conference footage. So, very dense speech and, from the sound of it, the transcript had been computer-generated.
For this they wished to pay €0.3 per program minute.

[Edited at 2022-02-12 07:15 GMT]

philgoddard
Barbara Carrara
Adieu
Christel Zipfel
Charlotte Englund

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ragnar Feb 11, 2022

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:
I essentially spent the rest of the thread trying to get her to understand what that actually means in terms of an hourly wage.

Good. Client education is part of our professional duty.

Ragnar Egilsson
Ana Andrade
Barbara Cochran, MFA

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Politeness Feb 11, 2022

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:

I just had to share this because it is so ridiculous.

I was recently contacted through Smartcat (my fourth job offer through that service in as many years) by a person claiming to represent an Austrian University.

This job entailed the proofreading of a transcript of 800 minutes of conference footage. So, very dense speech and, from the sound of it, the transcript had been computer-generated.
A low estimate would be 120 thousand words.

For this they wished to pay €0.3 per program minute.
That is 240 EUR.
For something that can't possibly take less than 7 full workdays.

I essentially spent the rest of the thread trying to get her to understand what that actually means in terms of an hourly wage.

P.S.

I am based in Iceland which is one of the top 5 most expensive places to live by any measure, so a salary like that is lightyears away from the norm in most countries, let alone here.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 14:50 GMT]

Just politely say no - with the excuse that you're already very busy with other work. Keep your emotions to yourself and move on. Let some other sucker take on this job.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 14:56 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
ATIL KAYHAN
Wioleta Kwiatkowska
Jorge Payan
Helena Chavarria
Philip Lees
Pedro Álvares

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
As a freelancer... Feb 11, 2022

...it is your prerogative to set both the rates your customers would have to pay for your service, as well to refuse unrealistic job offers, either in regards to the required time to complete the task, or regarding the offered rate.

I know how expensive Iceland is, so yes, an income of 240 euros a week barely let's you survive for a couple of days only.

If your prospective customer doesn't offer a good rate, preferably agreeing to yours, then just say, thank you and mov
... See more
...it is your prerogative to set both the rates your customers would have to pay for your service, as well to refuse unrealistic job offers, either in regards to the required time to complete the task, or regarding the offered rate.

I know how expensive Iceland is, so yes, an income of 240 euros a week barely let's you survive for a couple of days only.

If your prospective customer doesn't offer a good rate, preferably agreeing to yours, then just say, thank you and move on.
Collapse

Ragnar Egilsson
Philip Lees
Marijke Singer
Laura Kingdon

Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Politeness Feb 11, 2022

I believe it is the height of rudeness to undervalue my work, and the work of my profession, to such an extent.
I usually don't respond to these offers but, every now and then, I will take the fight out of professional pride. I'm sure a housepainter would feel the same way if he was offered 1 GBP/hour or saw the work being handed to people who had no experience of painting houses.

Conflict-aversion and fatalism is for conservatives.
I believe in ensuring a fair wage for
... See more
I believe it is the height of rudeness to undervalue my work, and the work of my profession, to such an extent.
I usually don't respond to these offers but, every now and then, I will take the fight out of professional pride. I'm sure a housepainter would feel the same way if he was offered 1 GBP/hour or saw the work being handed to people who had no experience of painting houses.

Conflict-aversion and fatalism is for conservatives.
I believe in ensuring a fair wage for everyone - starting with myself

[Edited at 2022-02-11 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Grace Anderson
Wioleta Kwiatkowska
Jocelin Meunier
Ana Andrade

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:09
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Just Say No Feb 11, 2022

I tend to think that there will not be any ridiculous job offers left any more if at least 90 % of all translators reject any offer which is anything below their rates.

I get such ridiculous offers all the time. Sometimes they are half my regular rate. I simply say NO. I do not hear from them again. Case dismissed.

janezhangpch
Philip Lees
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Laura Kingdon
Serhan Elmacıoğlu

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Glorious future Feb 11, 2022

Offer a long-term collaboration with very competitive rates later on!
Or say that you'll take this project on as a tryout - if the agency is satisfactory, you're virtually certain to lower your rates for subsequent projects.

P.L.F. Persio
Andrea Hermanová

Leonardo Faria
Leonardo Faria  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I Received one and I tried to negotiate Feb 12, 2022

Once a person, with an email from Russia (I'm Brazilian) contacted me with the email title "Re: Quoting for Proz Job" but I couldn't notice any responding mail, and the ones I sent with this title have nothing to do with the offer. Hence, he offered me USD0.01 for European Portuguese.

I asked if he found me here, what was his agency, renegotiated the rate for one that wasn't even competive, but better, and said I write only in the Brazilian Portuguese. He vanished. Maybe he was a S
... See more
Once a person, with an email from Russia (I'm Brazilian) contacted me with the email title "Re: Quoting for Proz Job" but I couldn't notice any responding mail, and the ones I sent with this title have nothing to do with the offer. Hence, he offered me USD0.01 for European Portuguese.

I asked if he found me here, what was his agency, renegotiated the rate for one that wasn't even competive, but better, and said I write only in the Brazilian Portuguese. He vanished. Maybe he was a Scam and I would ask to pay half or it all first. We won't know. But USD 0.01 is ridiculous, also.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
Ridiculous job offer Feb 12, 2022

For small jobs, I respond as follows: "I don't take jobs this small but I know someone in India who might be willing to take the job. I can contact them if you like. I'm sure the job would buy a few chapatis".
-----------------------
Example of ridiculous job posted on proz.com: Bids are solicited for TEN LINES OF JAPANESE. Over 20 people responded.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I refer them Feb 12, 2022

to the chimpanzee house at their local zoo.

There's nothing wrong with small jobs, though. Just badly paid ones.

[Edited at 2022-02-12 05:15 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 18:09
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Such a racist remark! Feb 12, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

For small jobs, I respond as follows: "I don't take jobs this small but I know someone in India who might be willing to take the job. I can contact them if you like. I'm sure the job would buy a few chapatis".

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Rui Domingues
Julia de Santiago
Joe France
Srini Venkataraman

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:09
English to Turkish
What's wrong with this picture? Feb 12, 2022

Help me understand. Isn't Icelandic supposed to be a rare and therefore valuable language (as compared to, say, Spanish)? I just looked up the population of Iceland, it's about 370,000.
How many English to Icelandic translators must be living there?
Have the housewives, retirees, students in Iceland taken an interest in English to Icelandic translation all of a sudden?
That 'ridiculous' job offer should be a one-off thing, I'm sure you don't get those as often as those workin
... See more
Help me understand. Isn't Icelandic supposed to be a rare and therefore valuable language (as compared to, say, Spanish)? I just looked up the population of Iceland, it's about 370,000.
How many English to Icelandic translators must be living there?
Have the housewives, retirees, students in Iceland taken an interest in English to Icelandic translation all of a sudden?
That 'ridiculous' job offer should be a one-off thing, I'm sure you don't get those as often as those working in oversaturated language pairs do. I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
If you are not a monkey, stop working for peanuts! Feb 12, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

(I refer them) to the chimpanzee house at their local zoo.

Which reminds me,

https://nopeanuts.wordpress.com/

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
philgoddard

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmm Feb 12, 2022

My own experience working with faster-paced transcripts of chatty focus groups back in the day suggests more like 6k words/hour

Academics are NOT known for high proficiency and endurance at fast-paced public speaking.

6k times 13 hours... let's round to 80k words.

240 euros for 80k words monolingual(?) proofreading(?) ?

Yeah it's cheap-ish.

But perhaps they just mean to pay you to play the recording (probably at 1.5x) and check th
... See more
My own experience working with faster-paced transcripts of chatty focus groups back in the day suggests more like 6k words/hour

Academics are NOT known for high proficiency and endurance at fast-paced public speaking.

6k times 13 hours... let's round to 80k words.

240 euros for 80k words monolingual(?) proofreading(?) ?

Yeah it's cheap-ish.

But perhaps they just mean to pay you to play the recording (probably at 1.5x) and check the text for glaring errors because they are too lazy to drop 13 hours on final QC verification?

[Edited at 2022-02-12 10:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-12 10:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-12 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What Wilsonn Perez Reyes said Feb 12, 2022

Racist indeed, and I like chapatis very much.

Laura Massara

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »