Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.
Thread poster: Ragnar Egilsson
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
What's with the ultrawide range of prices? Feb 13, 2022

Fat sub-3% bonus for Juris Doctors, should any apply?

writeaway wrote:

Job offer recently posted on Proz for a De-En job in the legal field. With the stipulation you'll only get paid once the client 'accepts' the translation. So that leaves the door wide open....
Today's translation world. Just keeps getting better.

Mr Tariq

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
My Best Paying Clients Are Often Writers Who Are Translators, Too Feb 13, 2022

Every author I have worked for, who has also worked as a professional translator, has paid me the best rates for my literary translations; and very promptly at that. No "60 days from date of invoice" kind of stuff. They have no need to be educated: they know exactly everything that is involved in the process of producing a translation that is more than just basic or straightforward. And, of course, they always like to get paid promptly for their own work. Who wouldn't?

[Edited at 2022-02
... See more
Every author I have worked for, who has also worked as a professional translator, has paid me the best rates for my literary translations; and very promptly at that. No "60 days from date of invoice" kind of stuff. They have no need to be educated: they know exactly everything that is involved in the process of producing a translation that is more than just basic or straightforward. And, of course, they always like to get paid promptly for their own work. Who wouldn't?

[Edited at 2022-02-13 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Ragnar Egilsson
Mr Tariq

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:49
German to English
+ ...
Yes I saw that one - Feb 14, 2022

writeaway wrote:

Job offer recently posted on Proz for a De-En job in the legal field. With the stipulation you'll only get paid once the client 'accepts' the translation. So that leaves the door wide open....
Today's translation world. Just keeps getting better.

Despite having left proz.com, and only taking occasional legacy client work, it really got to me. Or maybe it got to me because that kind of thing changed my mind about my profession, and yes, that might be an emotional reaction, but so be it. I value my education and my knowledge and I get upset when I find potential clients treating it as equivalent to polishing nails - and even then manicurists are paid better.

Ragnar Egilsson
Mr Tariq
writeaway
Barbara Carrara
Mr. Satan (X)
Kay Denney
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ignorant Attitudes RE: The Translation Industry Feb 14, 2022

On another site that is supposed to be for translators, but seems to exist more for certain other kinds of "groups", someone posted in one of the forums that he considered the translation industry to be a service industry, in the same way that the janitorial industry is. While I certainly don't look down on anybody who works in an honest profession, even if it does not require much education or training, if I applied online for a job as a janitor, my application would be deleted immediately, as ... See more
On another site that is supposed to be for translators, but seems to exist more for certain other kinds of "groups", someone posted in one of the forums that he considered the translation industry to be a service industry, in the same way that the janitorial industry is. While I certainly don't look down on anybody who works in an honest profession, even if it does not require much education or training, if I applied online for a job as a janitor, my application would be deleted immediately, as soon as they see that I have three language-related degrees, including a Master's in Literary Translation. But luckily, I don't have to work anymore if I don't want to, esp. for people who think like that poster on another site. So I'll stick with only translating projects I find interesting and which I believe to be worthwhile, and which reflect my skills and previous background as a writer/translator, as long as my fee is agreed to.

[Edited at 2022-02-14 22:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-14 22:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-15 14:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-15 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Pedro Álvares
Pedro Álvares  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'll keep this one short, but on topic Feb 14, 2022

Today I was offered $0.007 per word for an EN to PT translation. Their argument was that the volume of work would be large.

In my reply I politely suggested there was a typo on his email. Surely, he meant $0.07?

I don't believe he got the message, as he didn't come back to me.

[Edited at 2022-02-15 12:38 GMT]

Adieu
Kay Denney

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested changes were not made.
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
[deleted] Feb 15, 2022

[deleted]

[Edited at 2022-02-15 11:00 GMT]

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
:-) Feb 15, 2022

Funny how this rather important thread turned into a woke discussion.

Mr. Satan (X)

Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 05:49
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
woke discussion Feb 15, 2022

I completely agree with those who felt that the comments about Indian translation companies had a racist undertone.

There is a large number of Indian companies offering ridiculous rates but the issue here is not the fact that the average salary in India can't match the average salary in Holland, but rather that those companies have been able to find space in the market because major Fortune 500 companies are too cheap to recruit translation companies offering competitive rates.
... See more
I completely agree with those who felt that the comments about Indian translation companies had a racist undertone.

There is a large number of Indian companies offering ridiculous rates but the issue here is not the fact that the average salary in India can't match the average salary in Holland, but rather that those companies have been able to find space in the market because major Fortune 500 companies are too cheap to recruit translation companies offering competitive rates.

Bringing me back to my original point: Translation services are massively undervalued and we should call people out on that to maintain a certain standard.
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Grace Anderson
Kay Denney
Mr. Satan (X)
Noel McCourt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Everybody out Feb 15, 2022

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:

.....Translation services are massively undervalued .....

I know this is completely impossible, but how would it be if all the translators in the world suddenly stopped work?

With only MT available, would the world be able to continue?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
We’re really not that important Feb 15, 2022

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:

No, they can’t be. Market forces etc.

Translators as a body clearly overvalue themselves. As does pretty much every profession.

Tom in London wrote:
I know this is completely impossible, but how would it be if all the translators in the world suddenly stopped work?

Yes.

Jorge Payan
Gerard Barry

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:

I think nobody would really notice to be honest. We're not performing an essential service like delivering food, providing healthcare, refuse collection or the like.

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees

Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 05:49
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ice cream Feb 15, 2022

You do you.
I'll keep earning.

Tom in London
Olga Koepping

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Take control Feb 15, 2022

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:
You do you.
I'll keep earning.

That's missing the point.

Agencies looking for low rates are not looking for quality. If you can offer quality, you need to find clients who need it and will pay for it.

Translation per se is far from a skilled job and so it is not rewarded like one. Google Translate does it for free.

Translators are paid solely for the value they add beyond a mere word-for-word translation. In other words, writing skills. The better they write, the more value they add, the more they are paid.

It's how the market economy works.

Mr. Satan (X)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
There’s more to it. Feb 15, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Ragnar Egilsson wrote:

I think nobody would really notice to be honest. We're not performing an essential service like delivering food, providing healthcare, refuse collection or the like.

No commerce outside the borders then. Food, drugs, etc. (sheets, labels, declarations) all need to be translated as part of the import protocol (it’s required by the law). Let’s then stay within our own borders with just the local products and see how the world “does not change”. No announcements in English for you at airports as you travel to distant countries either (that’s translation as well). You are in China? Forget about the menu in English to help you as you eat in restaurants.

[Edited at 2022-02-15 23:53 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »