Sep 13, 2011

I’ve just set up my website, and each time I log in, I see the following:

To-Do List

55% Complete

- Start a Blog
- Add Keywords and a Site Description
- Check out XXX
- Invite a friend to YYY

(XXX and YYY stand for something else, but I don’t want to violate against the ProZ rules again…)

When I was still working as an executive assistant from 9 to 5 (or often a little later) in Germany, I never wanted t
... See more

To-Do List

55% Complete

- Start a Blog
- Check out XXX
- Invite a friend to YYY

(XXX and YYY stand for something else, but I don’t want to violate against the ProZ rules again…)

When I was still working as an executive assistant from 9 to 5 (or often a little later) in Germany, I never wanted to register with Facebook, Linkedin or the like. But now, having my own business, I am wondering:

Should I start a blog for marketing purposes?

Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 19:52
Russian to English
+ ...
Ask yourself: who your readers will be Sep 14, 2011

and why on earth they would want to read it - that is, provided they can find your website in the universe of others.

I have two personal blogs - one where I display my paintings and another where I post pictures and commentary when I travel. Overall, there are probably no more than half a dozen friends and family world over who read it, but I don't really give a rat's batooty if anyone does at all. I just have to let this stuff out.

If you don't have that kind of itch
... See more
and why on earth they would want to read it - that is, provided they can find your website in the universe of others.

I have two personal blogs - one where I display my paintings and another where I post pictures and commentary when I travel. Overall, there are probably no more than half a dozen friends and family world over who read it, but I don't really give a rat's batooty if anyone does at all. I just have to let this stuff out.

If you don't have that kind of itch in the tips of your fingers, don't bother "for marketing purposes".
Collapse

Kaj Genell
Kaj Genell
Sweden
Local time: 01:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
I think I would try Linkedin if I was you ! Sep 14, 2011

Hi!

I think Linkedin would be perfect for you, since it is mainly for professional people - looking for business opportunities - and it is easy to get contacts in various groups ( there are many ) there. One can be as active or inactive as one likes, and the tone and climate is very polite.

To get contacts is easy and people are well educated. My experience from Facebook is, that one does not get any contacts related to the projects one is working with.

... See more
Hi!

I think Linkedin would be perfect for you, since it is mainly for professional people - looking for business opportunities - and it is easy to get contacts in various groups ( there are many ) there. One can be as active or inactive as one likes, and the tone and climate is very polite.

To get contacts is easy and people are well educated. My experience from Facebook is, that one does not get any contacts related to the projects one is working with.

All the best!

Kaj B. Genell / Sweden

Marina Steinbach wrote:

To-Do List

55% Complete

- Start a Blog
- Check out XXX
- Invite a friend to YYY

When I was still working as an executive assistant from 9 to 5 (or often a little later) in Germany, I never wanted to register with Facebook, Linkedin or the like. But now, having my own business, I am wondering:

Should I start a blog for marketing purposes?

Collapse

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 01:52
German to Slovenian
+ ...
matter of preference Sep 14, 2011

Hi Marina,

I believe a blog is a matter of preference. The first question you should ask yourself is: Do you have time and will and ideas to write a blog?

Besides the part of being interesting etc., a blog for marketing purposes is mostly effective if you update it regularly.

But on the other hand, an old, "dead" blog might cause an opposite effect and dissatisfaction of its visitors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add a Blog? Your Opinion!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »