Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:37
English to Turkish
Actually Feb 7, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
like Mr Keki does with his impeccable photo, for instance.
Can you think of other ways to signal quality?

Mr. Keki is wearing a white t-shirt (underwear) in that photo, what you see is a photoshopped picture.
You see, sometimes you gotta make the most of, exploit the truth as far as you can in your photographs to look 'impeccable', but God forbid you should do the same with your resume! That would be unethical, to say the least.
I can think of a few ways to signal quality, but I'm concerned that Proz would remove my post if I said what I think. So I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your opinions are welcome Feb 7, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I can think of a few ways to signal quality, but I'm concerned that Proz would remove my post if I said what I think. So I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Posts are removed (hidden) when they don't comply with rules. There are 13 rules to be observed when posting. That is true.

Generally, there is some leeway in applying the rules, but if the violation is obvious, rules need to be applied. Sorry about that.

Back to the topic:

Of course, one way would be a directory maintained by an international organisation (e.g. FIT). Like, you provide a link to the client, and the client can check your details. I'm afraid this would not work unless the address is provided, and made public, as well.

Some might not also like that, in this approach, if you don't satisfy a client who has a complaint, you're out. You are temporarily removed from the directory.

There are other ways to signal quality that haven't been mentioned, which can be used individually. But I don't want to lecture anyone here and, honestly, some of my ideas might be rather outdated.

Mr Keki, please feel free to share your thoughts while trying to remember we have an audience, and potential clients might be part of it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Signalling quality Feb 8, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
What do you mean?

Don't worry about it. I was just being the kid at the back of the class with his hand in the air who knew the answer.

Providing quality is essential. No doubt about that. Sadly, it might not be enough.

Maybe, but word of mouth is how I've prospered.

Can you think of other ways to signal quality?

Nice clothes, a fancy website and/or being a smooth talker will doubtless work wonders on some.

Posting words of wisdom on LinkedIn might impress others.

A high rate definitely signals quality. A big-name client list should help, if you have one.

But there's no point signalling quality if you can't deliver it. I think that should be the priority.

Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:37
English to Turkish
LinkedIn Feb 8, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
Posting words of wisdom on LinkedIn might impress others.

Posting cringeworthy, tedious politically correct cliches and videos seems to impress most of them.

Christopher Schröder

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reputational transfer Feb 8, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Don't worry about it. I was just being the kid at the back of the class with his hand in the air who knew the answer.

No problem. I can understand.

I appreciate your taking the time to offer some good advice.

Personally, I have some doubts about the list of clients. A concept of self-value should, ideally, be self-contained. I will not argue, though, that listing big names among your clients will not help attracting new clients. It probably will.

Thanks.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Member (2008)
Italian to English
uh Feb 8, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

..... there is almost no market for premium-quality translation.

I've just done one.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality of a translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »