Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:11
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting Sep 21, 2021

Interesting! I may have been so ignorant because I never really had to do with non-European languages and different scriptures.

I wonder, though, what is done when some sources do have a translated version and others don't - i.e. are all titles translated literally or is it indicated that a translated version exists... All this seems a lot of work that should be compensated, while I am usually told not to touch the references at all (even "available at" etc.), probably to keep the t
... See more
Interesting! I may have been so ignorant because I never really had to do with non-European languages and different scriptures.

I wonder, though, what is done when some sources do have a translated version and others don't - i.e. are all titles translated literally or is it indicated that a translated version exists... All this seems a lot of work that should be compensated, while I am usually told not to touch the references at all (even "available at" etc.), probably to keep the translation cheaper.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Existing translations Sep 21, 2021

Ines R, PhD wrote:

I wonder, though, what is done when some sources do have a translated version and others don't - i.e. are all titles translated literally or is it indicated that a translated version exists... All this seems a lot of work that should be compensated, while I am usually told not to touch the references at all (even "available at" etc.), probably to keep the translation cheaper.

Different style guides will handle this differently, but here is guidance from the Chicago Manual of Style showing how to distinguish between your own translation of the title and a situation in which a translated title already exists:

https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Documentation/faq0079.html

And yes, it is a lot of work that should definitely be compensated.

[Edited at 2021-09-21 23:06 GMT]

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
French to English
NEVER translate original titles in bibliographic references - two reasons Sep 22, 2021

Firstly, the references provide the academic sources that give credibility to the author's work and must be traceable. If they cannot be tracked down, the work may lose credibility. Further, translated versions of the references may exist but the author will have taken great care to make sure that they have provided the reference of the version they used. That version must remain.

Secondly, many researchers, and indeed students, now use bibliographic reference managers that are simp
... See more
Firstly, the references provide the academic sources that give credibility to the author's work and must be traceable. If they cannot be tracked down, the work may lose credibility. Further, translated versions of the references may exist but the author will have taken great care to make sure that they have provided the reference of the version they used. That version must remain.

Secondly, many researchers, and indeed students, now use bibliographic reference managers that are simple tools enabling the precise reference of an article accessed online, for example, to be entered automatically into the writing and a bibliographic entry to be made that corresponds to the exact reference of the work in question. A simple click enables the author to create the bibliography to be created. When creating the bibliography, the author will be respecting particular conventions of referencing (Harvard, APA, etc.). The slightest change to an in-text reference or to as little as a comma or a space in the bibliography entry will throw the whole thing out of sync. Translating entries will have a catastrophic effect on the bibliography the details of which will involve hours of corrective work for the author.

A clear piece of advice: don't touch it.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Never say never Sep 22, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:
Translating entries will have a catastrophic effect on the bibliography the details of which will involve hours of corrective work for the author.

A clear piece of advice: don't touch it.

I think that's going too far.

What you do to the text that appears on screen won't affect the address in the hypertext link. And even if you replaced the title with your translation, the original could be tracked down straight away using the information later in the reference.

Say you have an entry:

Xkjhlkjhfdgkjhdfkjg (2018). DSlsdkghlghlkfghsdkhsdkfg, 55-56.

How can it not add value to include a translation:

Government of Doubledutchia (2018). DSlsdkghlghlkfghsdkhsdkfg [Government Budget], 55-56.

As has been mentioned earlier, common sense needs to be applied. Think of the reader!

Having said that, "don't touch the references" are possibly the four most welcome words in the world. 99.9% of bibliographies are riddled with inconsistencies and errors, and sorting them out is a nightmare.

Adieu
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of references in a scientific paper

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »