The oldest technology you ever used in translating?
Thread poster: Daryo
Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
Serbian to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2021

and how it compares to what's available today.

I started with a mechanical typewriter, and a collection of paper dictionaries.

First piece of "IT hardware": a Sinclair ZX-81 and a dot matrix printer.

There is one term that I found how to translate after going for around 5 hours through several (paper) glossaries and dictionaries; today all you have to do is to ask a search engine the right question and you get the answer in 5 seconds.

Paper g
... See more
and how it compares to what's available today.

I started with a mechanical typewriter, and a collection of paper dictionaries.

First piece of "IT hardware": a Sinclair ZX-81 and a dot matrix printer.

There is one term that I found how to translate after going for around 5 hours through several (paper) glossaries and dictionaries; today all you have to do is to ask a search engine the right question and you get the answer in 5 seconds.

Paper glossary:0 Web:1

I found the unusual meaning of a quite common term when used in a very specific context in a paper glossary in less then a minute; the last few years, just out of curiosity, I check from time to time if you can find on the Web this term as used in this specific context. Nope, zilch,nada! Whichever way you try, you won't find it.

Paper glossary:1 Web:0
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Notepad Jul 23, 2021

I used to like to type in plaintext.

I'd just shrink the window to several lines wide to declutter and see my source document.

Yeah, I'm a younger generation. Never had a typewriter. My first PC was a used 286 with Windows 3.1 in like 3rd grade.

[Edited at 2021-07-23 17:47 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My brain Jul 23, 2021

The oldest technology is my brain, 61 years old. I prefer my BAT (Brain Assisted Translation) tool.
Oh, I also had a ZX81 but was not translating then.
I still remember the noise of the cassette when loading a file (ssssshhh wshhhhhs woosssssshh woom woom...) and the burning smell from the printer. The printout was on a small silver paper roll.

Christopher McColl

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A typewriter Jul 24, 2021

… was the only tool of the trade when I started translating professionally in the early 1980s. I used to write my first draft by hand, and then type it up very carefully on a manual typewriter. Those were the days when correcting the slightest mistake seemed like an almost insuperable task: re-typing all over again (before the age of the correction tape and the correcting fluid). Still remember the day I bought an IBM electric typewriter (a Selectric) with all those special type balls. What a ... See more
… was the only tool of the trade when I started translating professionally in the early 1980s. I used to write my first draft by hand, and then type it up very carefully on a manual typewriter. Those were the days when correcting the slightest mistake seemed like an almost insuperable task: re-typing all over again (before the age of the correction tape and the correcting fluid). Still remember the day I bought an IBM electric typewriter (a Selectric) with all those special type balls. What a change we “oldies” have witnessed… and enjoyed!Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Paweł Hamerski

Steve Robbie
Steve Robbie
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
German to English
+ ...
In this career, a dictionary, but... Jul 24, 2021

I've been translating only since 2012, so in this career I'm pretty much an internet native. Once in a while a consult a paper dictionary, usually when a common word occurs with an uncommon meaning.

In my first career (accountancy/auditing), I remember writing out working papers in pencil by hand, and transcribing figures onto an actual spreadsheet - that is, a piece of A3 paper divided into countless columns. After a year, they gave us all laptops and this kind of thing stopped.... See more
I've been translating only since 2012, so in this career I'm pretty much an internet native. Once in a while a consult a paper dictionary, usually when a common word occurs with an uncommon meaning.

In my first career (accountancy/auditing), I remember writing out working papers in pencil by hand, and transcribing figures onto an actual spreadsheet - that is, a piece of A3 paper divided into countless columns. After a year, they gave us all laptops and this kind of thing stopped.

One extraordinary client still kept a handwritten general ledger for a business with turnover of £3 million a year. In the 1990s, that seemed like a relic of the Stone Age.
Collapse

Christopher McColl

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:11
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Pentium 4 based desktop PC.... Jul 24, 2021

...Windows XP, 14" CRT monitor, Wordfast 3.35x and Trados 5.5, ...

Yes, the ZX81 was my first computer (not for translation, of course). I still keep it in working order.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I like that one! Jul 27, 2021

**BAT (Brain Assisted Translation)**

Still the #1 tool! But seems to be neglected or even going out of fashion ...

New technologies are really a huge improvement, but need to be handled with great caution.

Otherwise you can easily end up with the linguistic equivalent of blindly following your GPS and driving a huge lorry in a muddy country lane or walking in a fog straight over a cliff edge.

I did use the ZX81 for translating, although at fi
... See more
**BAT (Brain Assisted Translation)**

Still the #1 tool! But seems to be neglected or even going out of fashion ...

New technologies are really a huge improvement, but need to be handled with great caution.

Otherwise you can easily end up with the linguistic equivalent of blindly following your GPS and driving a huge lorry in a muddy country lane or walking in a fog straight over a cliff edge.

I did use the ZX81 for translating, although at first it was just a rare novelty toy.
Collapse

Christopher McColl
Sara Massons

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Pen and paper Jul 27, 2021

Pen and paper- I can't think of any technology that's older than that.

Christopher McColl
Sara Massons

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Well Jul 27, 2021

Scribbling on walls, cave or otherwise, with other rocks or dirt

Tom in London wrote:

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not for translating Jul 27, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Of course there is older technology than pen and paper - but not for translating; have you done any translation by scribbling on walls?

[Edited at 2021-07-27 13:40 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Aren't you forgetting something iconic? Jul 27, 2021

Rosetta Stone (the boulder, not the app)

Tom in London wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Of course there is older technology than pen and paper - but not for translating; have you done any translation by scribbling on walls?

P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:11
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Luxury! Jul 27, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I sense a Four Yorkshiremen-style tale coming: Scribbling with rocks or dirt? You were lucky! I used to bite off the top of my fingers from one hand and write with my blood, while fighting sabre-toothed tigers with the other! And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Adieu
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Baran Keki
Kevin Fulton

Christopher McColl
Christopher McColl
Spanish
+ ...
A cardboard box Jul 28, 2021

I used it take all my notes and books to the examination centre in Barcelona to take the Institute of Linguists exam.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Paper and ball-point-pen Jul 28, 2021

Back in 1975 a friend asked me to translate something pulp-mill related, some 4 pages. I wrote my translation on paper and never heard about it later. The first paid translation I did in 1992 on my Atari-ST and a 24-matrix printer The subject was waste dump sites.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old tech Jul 29, 2021

Turn-of-the-century Systran. I had a copy on CD. Early in the 21st century they upgraded it and I found the new version less user-friendly, so stopped using it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The oldest technology you ever used in translating?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »