Should I propose contract to solidy term
Thread poster: vchristopher
vchristopher
vchristopher
Bahrain
Jun 7, 2021

I have been working for a Surabaya-based publisher for the last three years. Money is good enough and orders never stop. Lately, I begin to think about my future contracts, especially on our term of agreement and I want make it black and white. So far, we conducted our business based on trust solely. Rather than follow up this plan, I get little worry about my publisher reactions. Do they want settle our business relationshil up in that way? In my way? Guys, help me please! I have fork in the ro... See more
I have been working for a Surabaya-based publisher for the last three years. Money is good enough and orders never stop. Lately, I begin to think about my future contracts, especially on our term of agreement and I want make it black and white. So far, we conducted our business based on trust solely. Rather than follow up this plan, I get little worry about my publisher reactions. Do they want settle our business relationshil up in that way? In my way? Guys, help me please! I have fork in the road.Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 17:08
English to German
In memoriam
Look at your big picture Jun 7, 2021

This client of yours is only ONE client, and it seems everything is fine right now with them, so why change anything?

What you really should consider is your overall situation. Are you dependent on this one client only? For a sustainable freelancing business, you need a bunch of clients, so that you have no worries when a client stops sending you work for whatever reason.

Also, mind your Proz profile. At the moment it states that you are native in Old (medieval) English
... See more
This client of yours is only ONE client, and it seems everything is fine right now with them, so why change anything?

What you really should consider is your overall situation. Are you dependent on this one client only? For a sustainable freelancing business, you need a bunch of clients, so that you have no worries when a client stops sending you work for whatever reason.

Also, mind your Proz profile. At the moment it states that you are native in Old (medieval) English, which I find hard to believe.
Collapse

neilmac
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Vera Schoen
Kevin Fulton
Tina Vonhof (X)
philgoddard
Sara Massons

Danielle Crouch
Danielle Crouch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:08
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
I agree Jun 25, 2021

I agree with Kay-Viktor. If things are going well and you are satisfied with the money and the relationship, I see no reason to change anything. Asking for a specific/different contract at this point could even make the client nervous or cause them to send less work.

However, if there is something specific about the relationship (money, client's expectations, etc.) that you are unhappy about, it would be useful to renegotiate your terms. If you decide to do that, having a contract s
... See more
I agree with Kay-Viktor. If things are going well and you are satisfied with the money and the relationship, I see no reason to change anything. Asking for a specific/different contract at this point could even make the client nervous or cause them to send less work.

However, if there is something specific about the relationship (money, client's expectations, etc.) that you are unhappy about, it would be useful to renegotiate your terms. If you decide to do that, having a contract setting out your new terms in black and white is an option. I would only recommend doing that if you are prepared to lose some or all of the client's business, or if the situation with the client has changed to the point where you were considering ending the relationship from your side.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I propose contract to solidy term

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »