Does Transit XV run in Windows 7, 64 bit?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jul 5, 2010

Hello fellow Transit users!

I'm considering*) making the shift from Parallels Desktop, WinXP 32 and Transit XV to Windows 7 64 bit (Bootcamp). My question is:

Does the old 32 bit version of Transit XV run in Windows 7 64 bit (of course in 32 bit mode) or do I have to install Microsoft's WinXP virtualization solution?

Thanks,

Hans

*) OS X freezes once or twice a day. Parallels support cannot find the cause.

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, it does Jul 5, 2010

Hi Hans,

I have installed Transit XV on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and it works as usual.

You should indicate a special Installation directory (other than the default one), such as "TRANSIT INSTALLATION", where you should install the programme.

Path: Computer -> C: -> TRANSIT INSTALLTION

Otherwise, Transit selects a path, which is different from the normal default one you know from XP.

HTH
Heike

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It works also with Vista Home Premium 64 Jul 5, 2010

without problems.
As for the paths, it is very similar to WinXP, but instead of program files it is "Program Files (x86)"

But I do not save Transit projects there. So no big difference to WinXP for me.

[Edited at 2010-07-05 10:44 GMT]

Cristina Di Bartolo
Cristina Di Bartolo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
GHOST FOLDERS, INVISIBLE FILES - S.O.S.! Jul 9, 2010

Hello all,

I have a big problem. 2 days ago I installed my usual Transit XV on my new Windows 7 and proceeded, completely normally, to proofread a project. The point is that, when the time has come to send the .pxf to the client, I discovered with horror that the folder doesn't seem to exist on my PC!

I mean, in transit environment it does (of course, if not I wouldn't be able to open language pairs) and even if I run a search, Windows does find the file, but then, if
... See more
Hello all,

I have a big problem. 2 days ago I installed my usual Transit XV on my new Windows 7 and proceeded, completely normally, to proofread a project. The point is that, when the time has come to send the .pxf to the client, I discovered with horror that the folder doesn't seem to exist on my PC!

I mean, in transit environment it does (of course, if not I wouldn't be able to open language pairs) and even if I run a search, Windows does find the file, but then, if I try to open it, I receive the error "invalid path".

Indeed, if, within transit, I go to projects>new>create new project based on (the name of the ghost project)... >Files and I select "Select folder", my original folder does appear, with a lock on it, and inside all the files (.txf, .ita, .esp, Export folder) appear. Only, if I drag and drop them in my draft mail, I get an error saying that the file cannot be attached, as its size is 0k. If I try to copy it the files on my desktop, they just don't appear.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I can only think it's some installation or license issue.

Any help will be warmly welcome

Thanks

Cristina
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Probably problems with folder ownership Jul 9, 2010

If you have Transit in Program Files, see

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Antonin

Wendy Lewin
Wendy Lewin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
German to English
program files Jul 30, 2010

windows 7 will not allow you to maje any changes in folders under program files
I have installed transit outside of program files and all my new projects are created there no problem. BUT I had to put my reference work created before windows 7 in program files so that the path to find it works
This solution works fine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Transit XV run in Windows 7, 64 bit?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »