Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 11, 2010

I am working on a comparison between various cat tools, how tags are presented and handled there.
Now I have a project in Transit XV and would like to know where to find informations how to identify tags:

Another question is, if I can delete the tag pair <F id="7"> and </F> and be able to create the final document without any problems.
... See more
I am working on a comparison between various cat tools, how tags are presented and handled there.
Now I have a project in Transit XV and would like to know where to find informations how to identify tags:

Another question is, if I can delete the tag pair <F id="7"> and </F> and be able to create the final document without any problems.
Because I have created the document myself, I of course know exactly what hides behind those tags. But I seem not to be able to find this information when I would only have the Transit project and the corresponding PDF - because in the PDF you will NOT see the impact of these tags.
Last question: can the tag order in Transit be changed and the target still produced?

Thank you very much for all kind answers - this is not a request for help, but just a question for research purposes.
MTIA
Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Transit versions May 12, 2010

Hi Jerzy,
working with tags in Transit XV is a pain in the ar**. Transit NXT uses a much better approach to tags, which can be deleted and moved around segments at your will.

Transit NXT displays a separate pane where tagging (or markup – as they call it) information is displayed for the active segment. You can then use your mouse or keyboard shortucts to insert the tags at the relevant positions.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but I still find the way Trados
... See more
Hi Jerzy,
working with tags in Transit XV is a pain in the ar**. Transit NXT uses a much better approach to tags, which can be deleted and moved around segments at your will.

Transit NXT displays a separate pane where tagging (or markup – as they call it) information is displayed for the active segment. You can then use your mouse or keyboard shortucts to insert the tags at the relevant positions.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but I still find the way Trados (TagEditor + Studio) handles tags faster and more intuitive.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have Transit NXT May 12, 2010

so can't compare.
And I must admit I am shocked by the price policy of Star...
There seem not to be any demo software and the freelance version, fully cut in its functionality, shall cost 75 EUR for just three months or 225 EUR for a year. It seems to be what they previously called Satellite...
Quite ridiculous I would say.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You're right May 12, 2010

Hi Jerzy,
you are completely right about Transit pricing. However, if you later decide to purchase e.g. the Freelance Pro version, the amounts you have so far paid for the year-based licenses will deduce from the Freelance Pro purchase price. At least the official Czech distributor says so.

Anyway, Transit itself is very expensive indeed, let alone with any additional filters which need to be purchased separately (INDD, FM, DWG: each of them around € 1,000). On the other han
... See more
Hi Jerzy,
you are completely right about Transit pricing. However, if you later decide to purchase e.g. the Freelance Pro version, the amounts you have so far paid for the year-based licenses will deduce from the Freelance Pro purchase price. At least the official Czech distributor says so.

Anyway, Transit itself is very expensive indeed, let alone with any additional filters which need to be purchased separately (INDD, FM, DWG: each of them around € 1,000). On the other hand, it needs to be stressed that it is also very reliable and quick.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Tags in Transit XV May 12, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

working with tags in Transit XV is a pain in the ar**

Well, I liked XV better than NXT from this point of view - there is a "plain text" mode in XV in which you can type and delete any tags as you like.

Regearding tags and project exporting (i.e. getting the original file format after completing the translation) - "simple formatting" tags in Word files can usually be deleted without any problems; but you have to be careful with tags and be sure of what you are doing to avoid disasters (but this is a very useful rule of thumb in any CAT tool for sure).

When I was buying my NXT Pro licence as an upgrade from XV Pro, together with a one-year service contract it cost me between 1 and 2 thousand EUR, if I remember correctly. Well, my current versions of Transit have altogether cost me more than my current Trados versions, but the usefulness of the former as compared to the latter has been much higher for me. I still sometimes (exceptionally) do use Trados, but Transit is my first-choice tool.

AFAIK, Star rejected the "Satellite" policy since people had a tendency to think the full versions were similar to Satellite (which they really were far from) and they provide this "starting package" price for a version with more feratures than those of Satellite.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleting tags in Transit May 12, 2010

Antonin, thank you for your insights.
I must admit I have been hoping you would answer here.
This is not to prove which program is better, but just to understand the way they work.

Dealing with tags needs care, regardless the software, no doubt. However, it is IMHO easier to deal with them, when you can read what they mean, like for example on this Tageditor screenshot:
... See more
Antonin, thank you for your insights.
I must admit I have been hoping you would answer here.
This is not to prove which program is better, but just to understand the way they work.

Dealing with tags needs care, regardless the software, no doubt. However, it is IMHO easier to deal with them, when you can read what they mean, like for example on this Tageditor screenshot:

So my question is: is it possible to identify tags in similar way in Transit? Is there an tag reference material, like it used to be available for Trados (File Format Reference Guide)?

Thanks again
Best regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2010-05-12 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Transit versions May 12, 2010

Well, the problem is I have been working exclusively in NXT for quite a long time now, so I have forgotten some of the "hands-on" experience with XV. Anyway, I do not think there is a way of displaying "self-explaining" forms of the tags like you displayed. The explantions of particular tags may be readable from the language pair files, especially if you get deeper into the stuf concerning creating your own filters - there is a manual for that and though I have never given it a "real" try (only... See more
Well, the problem is I have been working exclusively in NXT for quite a long time now, so I have forgotten some of the "hands-on" experience with XV. Anyway, I do not think there is a way of displaying "self-explaining" forms of the tags like you displayed. The explantions of particular tags may be readable from the language pair files, especially if you get deeper into the stuf concerning creating your own filters - there is a manual for that and though I have never given it a "real" try (only played with it a little), the idea you can create your own filters for importing projects to custom neeeds is nice. I always treated tags in XV based on experience (most files I processed were MS Word and InDesign) so I got into some kind of "expert knowledge stage" - I got some feeling for which tags I could edit and what the consequences could be. However, I never really tried to formalize this knowledge since I did not feel the need to.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sufficient information May 12, 2010

Thank you, Antonin.
The idea of creating own filters is indeed a great one.
I think I have now enough impression on how Transit does work.
It looks like playing around with tags would be possible in a similar way to Trados, but only you would need to put more work in understanding tags until getting an "expert knowledge in that field".

I will use all this information (and the corresponding information for MemoQ from a parallel topic) for my presentation during the
... See more
Thank you, Antonin.
The idea of creating own filters is indeed a great one.
I think I have now enough impression on how Transit does work.
It looks like playing around with tags would be possible in a similar way to Trados, but only you would need to put more work in understanding tags until getting an "expert knowledge in that field".

I will use all this information (and the corresponding information for MemoQ from a parallel topic) for my presentation during the Tradulinguas conference in Lisbon.

Many thanks for all your isights.
Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Font information can be changed May 25, 2010

Another question is, if I can delete the tag pair and and be able to create the final document without any problems.
Because I have created the document myself, I of course know exactly what hides behind those tags. But I seem not to be able to find this information when I would only have the Transit project and the corresponding PDF - because in the PDF you will NOT see the impact of these tags.
Last question: can the tag order in Transit be changed and the target stil... See more
Another question is, if I can delete the tag pair and and be able to create the final document without any problems.
Last question: can the tag order in Transit be changed and the target still produced?

Yes, as far as font information is concerned, you can delete or add them or change their order.

Geneviève.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to identify tags in Transit XV?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »