Where is the Transit TM stored?
Thread poster: Gary Hess
Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
German to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

I'm studying Transit PXF files so I can translate Transit projects using another tool. I've got the PlusToyz macro working and I also installed ApSIC Xbench to extract a TMX file.

My question: Where does Transit store its translation memory? In the projects I receive, there are some fuzzy matches (100% matches are pretranslated) and I assume they are in some sort of TM file that is separate from the source and target files. I want to be able to extract this TM and I'm not sure that
... See more
I'm studying Transit PXF files so I can translate Transit projects using another tool. I've got the PlusToyz macro working and I also installed ApSIC Xbench to extract a TMX file.

My question: Where does Transit store its translation memory? In the projects I receive, there are some fuzzy matches (100% matches are pretranslated) and I assume they are in some sort of TM file that is separate from the source and target files. I want to be able to extract this TM and I'm not sure that ApSIC Xbench is doing that.

Thanks!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I used PlusToyz for this purpose Mar 24, 2009

Gary Hess wrote:
My question: Where does Transit store its translation memory?

see my profile to download plustoyz: it's a set of word VBA routines, including conversions between different bilingual formats:

Trados-like segmented text to Word table
Word table to Trados-like segmented text
Excel workbook to Trados-like segmented text
Wordfast TM to Trados-like segmented text
Trados TXT export to Word table
STAR Transit project to Trados-like segmented text and back
TTX (TagEditor) file to Trados-like segmented text and back If you want

The code is not locked so you can - if you care - reuse it.

By the way Transit format is pretty strange, it intermingles the textual information with binary (long integers) information.

Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the quick reply Mar 24, 2009

Hey Vito,

Thanks for the quick reply! I found PlusToyz earlier and it seems to work OK.

But maybe I misunderstood how it works. I used it to convert a project into the format Word can read. Then I created an empty Trados TM and used that to translate the source file.

I tried translating the same project in parallel in Transit Satellite version. In Trados, the fuzzy matches where missing.

So I tried to export a TM from the project using "ApSIC X
... See more
Hey Vito,

Thanks for the quick reply! I found PlusToyz earlier and it seems to work OK.

But maybe I misunderstood how it works. I used it to convert a project into the format Word can read. Then I created an empty Trados TM and used that to translate the source file.

I tried translating the same project in parallel in Transit Satellite version. In Trados, the fuzzy matches where missing.

So I tried to export a TM from the project using "ApSIC Xbench".

I just don't understand where Transit stores the actual TM that was included with the project and which contains the fuzzy matches!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My two cents Mar 24, 2009

Gary Hess wrote:
I just don't understand where Transit stores the actual TM that was included with the project and which contains the fuzzy matches!

Neither do I (g). I think (gut feeling) however, that the contents are split into *.ENG and *.SLV files (for English and Slovenian parts for instance) with the integers I mentioned gluing them together.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Reference files (not TM) - with the project manager Mar 24, 2009

Hi Gary,

If I understand correctly, the files you received from the project manager were already pretranslated and populated with fuzzy matches.

Transit doesn't have a Trados-type TM, the individual files make up the memory e.g. ***.ENG for English, ***.DEU for German etc. Fuzzy matches are taken from finished reference files from previously translated projects or from the files in the current project (you can specify the segment status in the profile settings - i.e. m
... See more
Hi Gary,

If I understand correctly, the files you received from the project manager were already pretranslated and populated with fuzzy matches.

Transit doesn't have a Trados-type TM, the individual files make up the memory e.g. ***.ENG for English, ***.DEU for German etc. Fuzzy matches are taken from finished reference files from previously translated projects or from the files in the current project (you can specify the segment status in the profile settings - i.e. minimum segment status for a fuzzy match = translated to avoid getting untranslated fuzzies). These files are paired by Transit and used as a basis for the fuzzies. This means that the project manager has the reference files (or "TM") for your project. The PM may have sent reference files with your project (not sure what the file extension is). If there are other files in the project open them (File > Open > Language pair) and take a look.

HTH,
Jill

[Edited at 2009-03-24 07:44 GMT]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
The TM is built "on the fly" from parallel files in the PXF Mar 24, 2009

The PXF file can contain reference file pairs called _aextr_n.SSS and _aextr_n.TTT (where "n" is a number, "SSS" is the source language extension and "TTT" is the target language extension, e.g. ENG).

Transit builds the TM "on the fly" from these file pairs. So you'd have to align these reference files to get a TM. Depending on the source files, this may range from quite straightforward to downright impossible.

Endre

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a minor point Mar 24, 2009

PXF files are just renamed zip files - if you rename the extension to .zip, you can open them and see what is inside.

Antonin

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Or... Apr 27, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

PXF files are just renamed zip files - if you rename the extension to .zip, you can open them and see what is inside.

Antonin

Or you can open them by double-clicking from within Total Commander.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is the Transit TM stored?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »