Multiple projects as reference material. Please help!
Thread poster: johnnyb669
johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
Local time: 00:06
Nov 14, 2008

I'd like to create reference material for future projects from all previously translated projects (let's say I have more then 50 projects).

How do I proceed?

1. I copy all language files from my projects into one folder (*.DEU and *.ROM (in my case)) and I set as reference material this folder

or

2. Is there another way to create let's say a project that should include all previous projects, or something like that?

I tried adding a
... See more
I'd like to create reference material for future projects from all previously translated projects (let's say I have more then 50 projects).

How do I proceed?

1. I copy all language files from my projects into one folder (*.DEU and *.ROM (in my case)) and I set as reference material this folder

or

2. Is there another way to create let's say a project that should include all previous projects, or something like that?

I tried adding all projects individually but it took a lot of time and I gave up, plus that I sometime couldn't add more than 5 projects.

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Transit XV Pro 3.1 SP 23

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-14 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 23:06
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
RTFM :-) Nov 14, 2008

Look up "Reference Extract"

Antonin

johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
TOPIC STARTER
help Nov 14, 2008

I did, but couldn't find anything useful. Please help!

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Open Transit Help Nov 14, 2008

Read chapter 4.9 Creating project-independent reference extracts

Everything is explained there very clearly - if that is not useful for you, nothing I can tell you would possibly help.

Antonin

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
User's Guide Nov 14, 2008

You can download the User's Guide from ftp://ftp.star-group.net/doc/manual/Transit/eng/tr/userguide.pdf

johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
TOPIC STARTER
reference created Nov 17, 2008

Ok, I followed the instructions from chapter 4.9 and I created a folder with reference files.
What now?
I set as reference the entire folder but fuzzy shows no progress and transit hangs. I can only close it with "End Now"
I tried to select only Reference.DEU, not the other files Reference1.DEU, Reference2.DEU ....
I hangs also
any ideas?

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-17 07:10 GMT]

johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Nov 19, 2008

I managed to create a reference extract of more than 52000 language files. I left it to work over night.
It's about 600 Megs.

Now my question is:

- if I want to add another project (language pair files) to my existing reference extract, how exactly can I do that?

Do I load the existing reference files and the new project and create a new reference extract each time I want to add a new reference material to my existing reference extract?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Using reference materials in Transit Nov 19, 2008

IMHO, this is a big advantage of Transit: you can always pick the reference you want for each particular project. In practice, if you have too many references in the project (several dozen of them on my machine), the fuzzy search slows down a bit.

Antonin

johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
TOPIC STARTER
new project in reference material Nov 19, 2008

ok, but how can I add a new project to my existing reference?

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Add a project in the usual fashion Nov 19, 2008

Maybe there is a way of updating your extract after each project conclusion without having to "leave your PC work overnight", but I am not aware of it.

What you can do is in:

Projects -> Settings -> Reference material

a) add the folder where your extract is located
b) add the folder with the project you want to include, but is not contained in the extract

and from time to time generate your huge updated extract.

Good luck!

johnnyb669
johnnyb669
Albania
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 24, 2008

All worked well in the end.

Thank you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple projects as reference material. Please help!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »