Copy segment source on no match?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
May 25, 2022

Is it possible to configure Swordfish IV to automatically copy the source to target for the current segment if no match is found? I don't mean a bulk action but something that happens each time when I visit a segment that has no TM match. I could not find anything to that effect in Settings > Preferences.
(Edit: I built the program from source, if that's important. The OS is Windows 8.1.)

[Edited at 2022-05-25 20:00 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Macro May 25, 2022

In case this feature is not supported, you could create an AHK macro.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:01
English to Russian
Maxprograms support May 25, 2022

You can contact their support at [email protected]
Also try Ctrl+Shift+P

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+(Shift)+P not quite what I want May 25, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can contact their support at [email protected]
Also try Ctrl+Shift+P

Thank you Stepan for the support email address. Ctrl+(Shift)+P is not quite what I want. With Ctrl+P, I need to press that shortcut each time, while Ctrl+Shift+P copies the source unconditionally to all empty targets, some of which may get a match later.

Stepan Konev

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macro not needed May 25, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

In case this feature is not supported, you could create an AHK macro.

I can copy source using the Ctrl+(Shift)+P shortcut, no macro needed. But it's not automatic or conditional.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
How to built a program from source May 26, 2022

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I built the program from source
Can you suggest a tutorial or instructions on how to compile a program from github files please? Does it require special skills or software? I would appreciate if you share some training materials/links on this subject. Thank you.

Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Macro May 26, 2022

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

I can copy source using the Ctrl+(Shift)+P shortcut, no macro needed. But it's not automatic or conditional.

You can make a macro that checks if text is present and that is fired automatically.

And since you have the source code, you can add your own features. Or pay someone to do this for you.

The fact that the source code is open, is fantastic. It’s just that I would have to learn to write Java and JavaScript. And then it would take me years to get the tool to the level of refinement of my current tool. 🤣

[Edited at 2022-05-26 07:11 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are instructions specifically for Swordfish May 26, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I built the program from source
Can you suggest a tutorial or instructions on how to compile a program from github files please? Does it require special skills or software? I would appreciate if you share some training materials/links on this subject. Thank you.

Swordfish GitHub page (https://github.com/rmraya/Swordfish) has instructions how to build the program from git, you just need to scroll the page down. The only bit missing from there is the fact that you need to install git itself.

The process is as follows (see software versions on the above Swordfish page):

1) Install git for your OS from here: https://git-scm.com/downloads
You may need to answer several questions on how exactly you would like to set up git. I believe you can just accept the defaults everywhere, but I chose an alternative terminal program in the Windows installer.
2) Install JDK from here: https://adoptium.net/
You need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable. Don't know about other OSs, but the installer GUI for Windows has an option to do that. I believe you always need to reboot for newly set system-wide environment variables to take effect, so that is assumed everywhere environment variable are mentioned below.
3) Download Ant from here: https://ant.apache.org/
Unpack it somewhere and set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the full path to the directory that is inside the distribution archive. In my case, the directory name was "apache-ant-1.10.12".
Add the full path to the "bin" subdirectory inside that directory to your PATH environment variable.
I also ran
ant -f fetch.xml -Ddest=system
from command line as suggested in Ant install guide but am not sure if that was really necessary. It took a while.
4) Install NodeJS from here: https://nodejs.org/
For Windows, that's just a simple installer executable.
5) Go to the directory where you want to store Swordfish files and run the following in the command line:

git clone https://github.com/rmraya/Swordfish.git
cd Swordfish
ant
npm install

If it reports success, the program is installed.

6) To launch the program, run this in the command line:

npm start

Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you May 26, 2022

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
The process is as follows...
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to give these step-by-step instructions.

UPDATE: It was no easy feat, but I made it to the Getting Started with Swordfish IV window. Hooray!

[Edited at 2022-05-26 22:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy segment source on no match?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »