Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2009

Hi all

pls have a look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6493869/NEC-unveils-Tele-Scouter-translation-glasses.html

Anto

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a gadget Nov 4, 2009

To me this is yet another gadget. The same way as automatic translation, I don't see it as part of our business or related to our business. The business of a translator today is translating everything a machine will translate poorly.

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Tomás Nov 4, 2009

It's a gadget, but it's interesting: just another try to replace human translation

Antonella

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not replacing us! Nov 4, 2009

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:
It's a gadget, but it's interesting: just another try to replace human translation

I don't think these gadgets and software products are aimed to replace professional translation. They just offer a possibility to roughly understand the source conversation or text, and their users would not pay a professional translator for that.

When an accurate document or interpretation is needed, human translators and interpreters will be there to assist.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:30
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Wow... Nov 4, 2009

I'd love to have one like this.

Hope it does not emit radiation like the cell phone does...

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
But... Nov 4, 2009

Quote: "The Japanese manufacturer admits that the device's translation capabilities are limited at the moment, so it will market the device as a wearable, hands-free data display. NEC envisages that it could be used by engineers and technicians to view user guides or manuals while installing and repairing hardware."

Plus: "A Tele Scouter system capable of supporting up to 30 users will cost around Y750 million (around £5.1 million), and NEC is hoping to sell 1,000 of
... See more
Quote: "The Japanese manufacturer admits that the device's translation capabilities are limited at the moment, so it will market the device as a wearable, hands-free data display. NEC envisages that it could be used by engineers and technicians to view user guides or manuals while installing and repairing hardware."

Plus: "A Tele Scouter system capable of supporting up to 30 users will cost around Y750 million (around £5.1 million), and NEC is hoping to sell 1,000 of these systems within the next three years."
Sweet dreams of NEC executives.
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
GBP 170,000 per user Nov 4, 2009

This is what I call 'nice price'.

For this money I could sign a 3-year interpretation job contract. I could even wear this gadget attached 24/7 to my glasses.

And seriously: this is just a one-eye display. Similar (or maybe identical) devices have been used for a number (15?) of years by military pilots. None of a technological break though
... See more
This is what I call 'nice price'.

For this money I could sign a 3-year interpretation job contract. I could even wear this gadget attached 24/7 to my glasses.

And seriously: this is just a one-eye display. Similar (or maybe identical) devices have been used for a number (15?) of years by military pilots. None of a technological break though, I'm afraid.

Besides, in order to work, a computer is still necessary with voice recognition and machine translation software.

AM
Collapse

Valters Feists
Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:30
English to Latvian
+ ...
Rich customers, low expectations, unclear pricing method Nov 4, 2009

"A Tele Scouter system capable of supporting up to 30 users will cost around Y750 million (around £5.1 million), and NEC is hoping to sell 1,000 of these systems within the next three years."

It would sound okay if it were the cost of developing it... for all their potential customers. But big companies tend to squander money on development and overheads.
Running an IT system (servers, mobile communications, maintenance and updates of SW and HW) is an ongoing service, and thus ought to be priced for a specific time period.
A mere product consisting of 30 end-user devices, servers and software costing £5 million sounds like a luxury -- the vendor must be targeting a rich clientele with relatively simple requirements. Machine translation is currently successful only for simple content translated between "similar" languages, no wonder it is given away for free by Google and others.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 00:30
English to German
Funny Nov 4, 2009

The real fun part for me was on the bottom where there is advertising for Lasik eye surgery...

Uwe

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation glasses? Nov 4, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

To me this is yet another gadget. The same way as automatic translation, I don't see it as part of our business or related to our business. The business of a translator today is translating everything a machine will translate poorly.

If they translate from Japanese to Japanglish as some translators do, we are got ready...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation glasses?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »