How hard has September 11th hit the translation market??
Thread poster: Alison kennedy (X)
Alison kennedy (X)
Alison kennedy (X)
Local time: 16:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2001

Well, I\'m sitting at my computer and I am about to do the monthly accounts. The problem is that December workwise has been a disaster.

I work out of Italy and have seen a significant fall in the amount of work available since September.

I would be interested in seeing whether this is the case of other freelance translators both in Italy and in other markets.
[addsig]

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The same here Dec 30, 2001

Hi Alison,

I am doing exactly the same. After a couple of very busy months (October and November), December has been extremely slow, and I am going to make monthly invoices for about 300 USD in total!

I have no idea about what will happen next year, I personally tend to get quite depressed when work disappears...

Happy New Year,

Laura

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same experience Dec 30, 2001

My experience has been the same as Laura\'s: very busy October and November, and an empty December.

Anyway, December is always a slow month, and things usually tend to go back to normal in January.

So, Laura, don\'t get depressed. It could be worse, you could be living in Argentina!

Happy New Year,

Patricia
[addsig]

cochrum
cochrum
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No work in December Dec 30, 2001

Same here (Germany)! I was quite busy in October, noticed a drop in November, no work in December. I did take a break the last two weeks, but I didn\'t even receive my usual phone calls asking if I\'m available.However, on an \"up\" note, I was informed that a large project is coming my way in January ) Hope that company doesn\'t go bankrupt by next month !

Nicole

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
For Patricia Dec 30, 2001

Hello Patricia,

I liked your black humour when you say \"things could be worse, you could be living in Argentina\". Well, I live in Jerusalem (Israel), so it\'s really a hard choice, isn\'t it?

Happy New Year,

Laura

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
More jobs have been coming my way since September 11 Dec 30, 2001

At least in my experience:

Three brand new clients with big projects, and a more steady flow from agencies I had been doing sporadic jobs for.

Perhaps it has to do with certain specializations?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-30 20:52 ]

sandra carrazzoni
sandra carrazzoni  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Patricia! Dec 30, 2001

Yes, Pat you\'re right! I was working pretty well till that terrible September 11th and then everything seemed to stop! AND I also live in Argentina (in the Patagonia)! So we share the same cross!!! Let\'s cry together...

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
My wife's outsourcing in December has been 10 times lower than a year ago Dec 31, 2001

...and a good 3 times lower than the average. I wish everyone a quick turnaround in 2002!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How hard has September 11th hit the translation market??

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »