Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:02
German to English
A repeat suggestion - glossary "clean up" Sep 18, 2006

This has already been suggested many times in forum discussions before, but I thought I would mention it again here.

Not just the KudoZ glossary, but all the personal glossaries, which also appear in the ProZ.com term search, need to be "cleaned up."

I agree with most of the other suggestions, so this is my only one for the time being.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:32
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ivana! Sep 18, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:
(292 words – The best I can do – I felt I had to explain the reasons of my points)

Thanks!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please think big! Sep 18, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:
- We need your clear answer to past events posted in the Spanish community. I mean a clear explanation.

OK, OK already. But is this really one of the top three things you would do if I turned the site over to you for, say, a year? Isn't there something more significant than that that you could do for our membership? Remember the mission statement!

I have a feeling people are focusing on the more recent things, not the big picture. Please think big!

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
Local time: 03:32
English to Spanish
But it is important, Henry Sep 18, 2006

Henry wrote:

Alicia Casal wrote:
- We need your clear answer to past events posted in the Spanish community. I mean a clear explanation.

OK, OK already. But is this really one of the top three things you would do if I turned the site over to you for, say, a year? Isn't there something more significant than that that you could do for our membership? Remember the mission statement!

I have a feeling people are focusing on the more recent things, not the big picture. Please think big!

I absolutely second Alicia's point.

Verónica

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:32
Catalan to English
+ ...
Priority No. 1 Sep 18, 2006

Henry wrote:

Alicia Casal wrote:

---o---

Firstly, thank god (or should I say Paul) that the original, extremely patronising title of this thread has been changed.

The FIRST thing I would do is clear the air. Only then would this thread make any sense and have any chance of producing something constructive.

In fact, I would not have opened this thread in the first place.

Henry, if you really want "suggestions to improve ProZ.com" you've got 50 pages x 15 suggestions per page in the "Suggestions" Forum.
Approximately 750 ideas, not all of which will have been implemented.

Your priority right now should be to stop opening pointless threads, give a full and clear explanation of the case in hand and, if you’re lucky, you may be in time to prevent many others following Atenea’s example.

(130 words – I’ll reserve the other 120, if you don’t mind)

Andy

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:32
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My quick suggestions that came to mind first Sep 18, 2006

I know many non-members will disagree with me, but the first thing I would change is

1. Give more benefits to members and fewer benefits to users. After all, it is the members who make this site and operation possible. Right now, as I see it, there is not much difference between being a member and being a user (a couple of former members have told me that they can get almost everything from ProZ.com without paying a dime, so why rene
... See more
I know many non-members will disagree with me, but the first thing I would change is

1. Give more benefits to members and fewer benefits to users. After all, it is the members who make this site and operation possible. Right now, as I see it, there is not much difference between being a member and being a user (a couple of former members have told me that they can get almost everything from ProZ.com without paying a dime, so why renew it?) Of course, there are some minor differences between a member and a user, but currently they are just minor. The main difference, as I see it, is that a member can ask up to 15 questions a day and a user can ask up to 5. Many members do not even ask that many questions per month. Give more Jobs Benefits to members, for example, by making jobs “For Members Only” as a default, during the first 12 or 24 hours.

2. Raise quality of jobs that enter via ProZ.com. I know we cannot fix pricing, but there should be a way to find a decent solution. Some are talking about moderating jobs: that might help.

3. On a more personal request, I would enjoy a writable Personal Calendar on my profile, where I can put my due dates and other important dates there. This is not a must, but it would be nice of course.

Have a lovely day everyone,
Monika
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:32
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Sep 18, 2006

1) Finding a way to tidy up the KOG. Using volunteers or without their help, but it's an old request. The sooner the better.

2) Finding another way to deal with visitors (not-registered members) to get rid of the "Pro" vs. "non-Pro" division. Making any visitor's question "not-for-point" may be a possible way.

3) Finding a way to tie answers given to the questions asked without the arbitrarily chosen number of questions per day/week/month. The current scheme is too comp
... See more
1) Finding a way to tidy up the KOG. Using volunteers or without their help, but it's an old request. The sooner the better.

2) Finding another way to deal with visitors (not-registered members) to get rid of the "Pro" vs. "non-Pro" division. Making any visitor's question "not-for-point" may be a possible way.

3) Finding a way to tie answers given to the questions asked without the arbitrarily chosen number of questions per day/week/month. The current scheme is too complex and artificial. I believe a more natural way of connecting questions & answers is possible.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Censorship is a big issue, I think... Sep 18, 2006

I believe that this site is over-censored and childishly punitive, and doesn't allow for freedom of expression. I have been noticing this for some time now. There seems to be way too much "wrist slapping," which I find condescending, to say the least.

In restricting people as to what they can say to one another, cultural differences are ignored and "political correctness" takes over. The result is the possibility of losing valuable members, just because they are not politically corr
... See more
I believe that this site is over-censored and childishly punitive, and doesn't allow for freedom of expression. I have been noticing this for some time now. There seems to be way too much "wrist slapping," which I find condescending, to say the least.

In restricting people as to what they can say to one another, cultural differences are ignored and "political correctness" takes over. The result is the possibility of losing valuable members, just because they are not politically correct. We're all grownups here...let's face facts: some people are naturally more outspoken than others, and can even be abrasive at times. Restricting freedom of speech just coddles people and fosters over-sensitiveness.

The natural solution to this, instead of handing out silly "yellow cards" and "red cards" as if we were playing soccer, would be to to advise someone whose verbal abusiveness seems excessive to take the discussion to private e-mail. This is what is often done on Yahoo groups, and it works just fine.

If ProZ had a more reasonable and less rigid approach to this issue, then we wouldn't lose valuable members...Jane Lamb Ruiz being just one example.
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 16:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Here's a big one for you.... Sep 18, 2006

...and a not so big one:)

First the little one: I don't like the way the article database works. I've only posted one article very recently (http://www.proz.com/doc/912) and the copyright options suck. One option gives total copyright to Proz in exchange for thousands of Browniz points and your article splattered all over the place for people to see and the other one leaves you the right to publ
... See more
...and a not so big one:)

First the little one: I don't like the way the article database works. I've only posted one article very recently (http://www.proz.com/doc/912) and the copyright options suck. One option gives total copyright to Proz in exchange for thousands of Browniz points and your article splattered all over the place for people to see and the other one leaves you the right to publish it elsewhere...but....Proz tucks it away in a corner somewhere with no exposure at all. Unfair? I think so.

Your competitors don't ask for copyright and guess who has the larger database of articles? Taking it one step further, imagine ditching the whole idea of copyright and handing out Kudoz points in a literary field in exchange for articles. The articles would flood in!

Now for the biggie: Proz acts as a big brother kind of figure against unscrupulous agencies who don't pay up. Actually, I think this has been brought up before but how about under circumstances where Proz is satisfied that an injustice has taken place then they send an email to the agency threatening to blacklist them big time. Let's face it, Proz does have a big presence and just a few words could make the difference. I think if agencies knew that it would be published that Proz had to intervene even in the smallest way by a single email then they would find it in their best interest to play fair.

I've run out of words...best wishes,

Mark
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
My suggestions Sep 18, 2006

1) Provide additional guidance for new translators. Before creating a profile, ask translators for their years of experience. Based on this information, guide them towards relevant knowledgebase articles, discussions, etc. so that they will be armed with the information they need both as new translators as well as new members of this community before they set up shop. This would result in their increased satisfaction and reduce the number of repeated forum postings, inquiries, etc. Perhaps this ... See more
1) Provide additional guidance for new translators. Before creating a profile, ask translators for their years of experience. Based on this information, guide them towards relevant knowledgebase articles, discussions, etc. so that they will be armed with the information they need both as new translators as well as new members of this community before they set up shop. This would result in their increased satisfaction and reduce the number of repeated forum postings, inquiries, etc. Perhaps this will discourage some from starting up so quickly, but they will return later as more satisfied “customers” after doing their “homework”.

2) Foster greater participation (in the forums and articles, for example) from outsourcers, project managers and purchasers of translation services. In order to compete in today’s market, many of us have had to specialize and/or implement unique added-value services. It could be financially beneficial to us to hear from outsourcers and PMs about things other translators have done that have impressed them and those things that have not.

3) Implement a system to reward those outsourcers with good track records, verified identity/business licenses, good payment history, etc. by providing them with incentives – such as job postings highlighted in a different color, etc.

4) And finally – remember you asked us to THINK BIG. A ProZ payment escrow service. Outsourcers would place payment in an optional escrow account until translation project is complete, thus guaranteeing payment. This could also be an additional source or revenue for Proz in the form of an escrow fee.

(word count: 250)
Collapse

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
My List of 3 Sep 18, 2006

Here is what in my view should be done:

1. Treat members and users with respect: This includes actually paying attention to what is said and not simply going through the motions of appearing to do so, which I am afraid is the impression many people have now.

2. Curb abuses by moderators: Moderators often seem to be arbitrary and inconsistent in the rules they choose to enforce. Posters who suggest as much are met with resentment, evasive answers, and blocked acces
... See more
Here is what in my view should be done:

1. Treat members and users with respect: This includes actually paying attention to what is said and not simply going through the motions of appearing to do so, which I am afraid is the impression many people have now.

2. Curb abuses by moderators: Moderators often seem to be arbitrary and inconsistent in the rules they choose to enforce. Posters who suggest as much are met with resentment, evasive answers, and blocked access to the fora.

3. On a more nuts-and-bolts level, I think the "my lists" function could benefit from improvement. It is in my opinion one of the most valuable aspects of the site (for forming lists of potential translators on a project, among other uses), but is cumbersome and slow to use.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »