You may receive job notifications from companies using the translation center powered by ProZ.com
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Dec 2, 2015

Dear members,

Some time ago ProZ.com decided to offer to corporate members the job management platform created and donated to Translators without Borders and used by TWB and its volunteers to donate over 28 million translated words to other humanitarian organizations. T
... See more
Dear members,

Some time ago ProZ.com decided to offer to corporate members the job management platform created and donated to Translators without Borders and used by TWB and its volunteers to donate over 28 million translated words to other humanitarian organizations. This was announced in a dedicated blog post, in the ProZ.com newsletter and in a couple of forums targeting outsourcers. This platform is described in a dedicated page.

Several translation companies have accepted this offer and are actively using it to manage their translation jobs. In each case, an instance of the translation center is created for the company that manages it, displaying its logo and name.

This means that you may receive an invitation to join the translation center instance managed by one of these companies, as well as invitations to participate in jobs posted by them.

The invitation messages have a standard subject line:
[{company name}] Invitation to {company name} Translation Workspace

These invitations include a link to a page where you may accept using your ProZ.com profile (thus sharing the same username and password you use at ProZ.com, some additional advantages available), to accept with a separate profile or to decline the invitation. The content of these notifications will be improved to help translators understand the context of the invitation.

ProZ.com role here is simply the technical support of the platform (and providing support to the companies when requested by them). Corporate members interested in using this platform should submit a support request. You are kindly invited to contact me via my profile for any suggestions and requests.

Kind regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Dec 2, 2015

Thank you Enrique, it sounds much better than some other online platforms: Ihave translated for TWB and I have to say that working in this platform is easy and fast.

Regards.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates Dec 2, 2015

Dear Enrique,

Is there a standard rate as in the turnkey translation jobs? Or is the company free to offer any rate and we free to accept or decline? Or are we supposed to apply with our own rates?

I think I've read it all and haven't found any line on this matter.

Could you please explain?

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Operation is in the hands of the outsourcer Dec 2, 2015

Dear Walter,

This is not the turnkey operation, it is a different mechanism.

An instance of the translation center is made available to a corporate member, with their logo, name and total control of the operation. This outsources is then free to invite their trusted translators to get access to this platform, and to post jobs there and to assign them as they consider appropriate.

Translators are free to accept or decline the agency invitation or, in case o
... See more
Dear Walter,

This is not the turnkey operation, it is a different mechanism.

An instance of the translation center is made available to a corporate member, with their logo, name and total control of the operation. This outsources is then free to invite their trusted translators to get access to this platform, and to post jobs there and to assign them as they consider appropriate.

Translators are free to accept or decline the agency invitation or, in case of acceptance, the posted jobs.

ProZ.com in this case is just providing a platform, supporting its operation and providing support in the start-up of the operation with each outsourcer.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just to be sure Dec 2, 2015

Dear Enrique,

Today I received a ProZ enabled e-mail from a Lituanian company stating "We will be assigning projects through Proz platform ." and whether I was interested in joining their team.

After reading your post I'm no longer sure this was just poor English. Is ProZ offering a special platform for outsourcers to post jobs to teams of selected ProZ members?

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2015-12-02 20:44 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Platform provided to corporate members Dec 2, 2015

Dear Gerard,

As stated above, ProZ.com has made available the platform originally developed for Translators without Borders (and since then modified to suit the need of commercial operations) to ProZ.com corporate members. These outsourcers invite the translators to their operation and then post jobs in the platform. Several companies have been operating this way since May and over a million words have been delivered overall in the several instances of the translation center.
... See more
Dear Gerard,

As stated above, ProZ.com has made available the platform originally developed for Translators without Borders (and since then modified to suit the need of commercial operations) to ProZ.com corporate members. These outsourcers invite the translators to their operation and then post jobs in the platform. Several companies have been operating this way since May and over a million words have been delivered overall in the several instances of the translation center.

I hope this answers your question.
Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I didn't receive a standard invitation Dec 2, 2015

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Dear Gerard,

I hope this answers your question.
Regards,
Enrique

No Enrique,

Of course this doesn't answer my question. The invitation I received didn't have the standard subject line you described in your first post. Maybe this Lithuanian outsourcer has found a loophole already. They can use ProZ technology for a mailing to all translators in their selection and afterwards use ProZ technology to post jobs to selected translators on the platform. What's the advantage for me?

Can outsourcers use the platform to simultaneously post jobs to several translators? Is it up to the outsourcers when or if they react to interested translators? Have those outsourcers endorsed the professional guidelines of this site?

One of the professional guidelines for translation service providers I endorse is to: "answer, courteously, inquiries related to services, fees and available equipment,". (No idea why the comma's still there.) Am I in breach of this guideline when I treat invitations to join teams on this platform as spam?

Cheers,
Gerard

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com will provide you with options to connect, you decide what to do with those connections Dec 3, 2015

Sorry for jumping in here.

Gerard de Noord wrote:
No Enrique,

Of course this doesn't answer my question. The invitation I received didn't have the standard subject line you described in your first post.

My understanding is that one is provided with a template and may edit, among other things, the subject line (Enrique, correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe this Lithuanian outsourcer has found a loophole already. They can use ProZ technology for a mailing to all translators in their selection and afterwards use ProZ technology to post jobs to selected translators on the platform.

How would that be a loophole? That is pretty much the essence of the site: people make connections, and the site does what it can to enable them, but what each party does with them is, ultimately, up to them. In the event that a company does not already have translators to fill certain needs, being able to find them and then work with them and build a relationship with them, would seem important to me. This would not differ from how the job posting system, or more importantly, the directory, work. The advanced directory has been working in this way for years-- those with translation needs can contact potential translation providers, and subsequently contact specifically those with whom the experience has been good for future needs

What's the advantage for me?

Maybe for you, none, I don't know. ProZ.com's main purpose is to provide different means for language professionals to get their work done, and to connect. The platform that Enrique is developing seeks to help companies more efficiently coordinate their workflow, and seeks to better enable those connections with clients and collaborators. As with the other means provided here for connecting with potential clients and collaborators, the translation platform should be considered as such-- just another potential channel for making connections. What you do with them, as always, is entirely up to you!

Can outsourcers use the platform to simultaneously post jobs to several translators? Is it up to the outsourcers when or if they react to interested translators? Have those outsourcers endorsed the professional guidelines of this site?

As I understand it: yes, yes, and not necessarily. The same as with other means of connecting elsewhere on the site, be it via job posting, the directory, or direct contact through profiles.

One of the professional guidelines for translation service providers I endorse is to: "answer, courteously, inquiries related to services, fees and available equipment,". (No idea why the comma's still there.) Am I in breach of this guideline when I treat invitations to join teams on this platform as spam?

I don't know, but I don't think so. That might be a question better directed at other professional translation service providers, but my first take would be that it would depend on the nature of the contact. And again, one may choose what to do with the potential connections that are provided to them.

Jared

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Help companies, not translators. Dec 3, 2015

Jared Tabor wrote:

ProZ.com's main purpose is to provide different means for language professionals to get their work done, and to connect. The platform that Enrique is developing seeks to help companies more efficiently coordinate their workflow, and seeks to better enable those connections with clients and collaborators. As with the other means provided here for connecting with potential clients and collaborators, the translation platform should be considered as such-- just another potential channel for making connections. What you do with them, as always, is entirely up to you!
hu

I'm afraid this is not good for us. One of the biggest translation companies in the world uses its platform to send job requests to hundreds of translators in its resources base. Sometimes they offer me ridiculous rates, and their job offers are accepted in less than a minute. If the companies have the efficiency of offering 1 tranlation job to thousands of translators, not hundreds, at the same time, we the freelancers will soon have to pay in order to get a single job.

Ops... I forgot we live in a free market world. I have to accept its rules.

Clarisa

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This is meant to be a company's working environment Dec 3, 2015

The translation center is different from the posting of jobs, or a directory search, where translators can be contacted by an outsourcer through their ProZ.com profiles in order to offer them a single job.

The translation center is meant for a company to keep its team of trusted translators and to manage all their work. In order to invite a translator, a commercial agency needs to enter the provider's email address (not provided by ProZ.com), and the translators may even not be ProZ
... See more
The translation center is different from the posting of jobs, or a directory search, where translators can be contacted by an outsourcer through their ProZ.com profiles in order to offer them a single job.

The translation center is meant for a company to keep its team of trusted translators and to manage all their work. In order to invite a translator, a commercial agency needs to enter the provider's email address (not provided by ProZ.com), and the translators may even not be ProZ.com users.

In other words, ProZ.com is not providing contact information on the translators, only providing a platform where the normal work interaction of the company can take place.

Of course companies will invite translators, especially when they start operating with the platform, but if you decline an invitation you will no longer be contacted by this company through the platform.

The version of this same platform that Translatos without Borders uses has a different recruiting mechanism, but this is a process where translators request to be included, and they are fast-tracked in or screened. In commercial operations, it is up to the company managing it to invite their team (or translators they would like to have in their team).

Of course it is up to every professional to decide if they want to work with an agency, or if they are interested in the conditions associated with a job. They can always quit a working environment if they don't consider it appropriate to them.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:27
English to German
+ ...
Thoughts Dec 3, 2015

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

The translation center is meant for a company to keep its team of trusted translators and to manage all their work. In order to invite a translator, a commercial agency needs to enter the provider's email address (not provided by ProZ.com), and the translators may even not be ProZ.com users.

In other words, ProZ.com is not providing contact information on the translators, only providing a platform where the normal work interaction of the company can take place.

Of course companies will invite translators, especially when they start operating with the platform, but if you decline an invitation you will no longer be contacted by this company through the platform.

The version of this same platform that Translatos without Borders uses has a different recruiting mechanism, but this is a process where translators request to be included, and they are fast-tracked in or screened. In commercial operations, it is up to the company managing it to invite their team (or translators they would like to have in their team).

Of course it is up to every professional to decide if they want to work with an agency, or if they are interested in the conditions associated with a job. They can always quit a working environment if they don't consider it appropriate to them.

Regards,
Enrique

This is part of the message I received from an outsourcer:
"...We will be assigning projects through Proz platform.
If you are interested in joining our team, kindly get back to us.
When doing so, please indicate your rate for
translation/proofreading, indicate your daily output and attach
your CV"

I didn't know what that meant until I read your explanation. But it seems the company counts on the name "proz.com platform" - I assume they are referring to that very thing - in a way that gives it a professional image - at least that's what my first thought was. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that at all. But I can imagine that it might be used by an outsourcer to indirectly justify lower rates.
However, as you said, it's up to any of us to decide what to do with such invitations.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
English to German
I am happy to try it! Dec 3, 2015

Next time I get such an invitation I will know it's not a scam, where someone is using a legitimate site like Proz to gain translators' trust.

Quite frankly, if they don't pay the rates I ask this involvement will be short lived.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You may receive job notifications from companies using the translation center powered by ProZ.com

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »