Czech Republic
Local time: 00:26
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
That's nice Jan 16, 2006

theDsaint wrote:

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

I'm only 23. Don't tell me I'm the youngest in here.
Am I the baby of the whole Proz.com family?

Prokop

I'm 23 too and, being born at the end of the year, I'm likely to be younger than you!

I'm happy that I'm not alone among all the experienced translators. Actually, I was born on Guy Fawkes' Night, i.e. November 5th.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!! Jan 16, 2006

Tim Drayton wrote:

Well, I am rapidly approaching the age of fifty, and noticed that the number of translators suddenly drops after that age. I wonder where they all go.

Just the question I wanted to ask!!!!!

WHERE?????

I'm thinking they just get a bit tired and move into other sectors or jobs.....

I also think that maybe the data is slightly distorted by the fact that the number of translators overall has grown hugely with the Internet, and so there is a disproportionate amount of people in the younger age brackets....

20 or 30 years ago, entry to teh profession /demand would have been far, far more difficult / lower.

[Edited at 2006-01-16 22:33]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Having worked... Jan 16, 2006

Having worked as a translator for longer than probably half of the people on Proz.com have been alive (though it's not broken down precisely that way) I can tell you it's worth it, both to have lived and to have worked.

The secret is to keep on learning every day, and those days really add up.

By the way, Prokop, congratulations on sharing my birthday, of course not the same year, you understand. Just who was Guy Fawkes? The day I was born FDR was elected for his third
... See more
Having worked as a translator for longer than probably half of the people on Proz.com have been alive (though it's not broken down precisely that way) I can tell you it's worth it, both to have lived and to have worked.

The secret is to keep on learning every day, and those days really add up.

By the way, Prokop, congratulations on sharing my birthday, of course not the same year, you understand. Just who was Guy Fawkes? The day I was born FDR was elected for his third term, and I kept my mother from voting for the old devil!
Collapse

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Henry and about the poll Jan 17, 2006

First for Henry Hinds: In 1605, thirteen young men planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Among them was Guy Fawkes, Britain's most notorious traitor.

As regards the poll,I am above 50 and have been working with computers for almost 25 years and know a lot about them. Much to my generation's surprise,I started learning how to program in Basic, together with my daughter. Internet has started recently, and perhaps in the years to come people will get used to it and the poll wil
... See more
First for Henry Hinds: In 1605, thirteen young men planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Among them was Guy Fawkes, Britain's most notorious traitor.

As regards the poll,I am above 50 and have been working with computers for almost 25 years and know a lot about them. Much to my generation's surprise,I started learning how to program in Basic, together with my daughter. Internet has started recently, and perhaps in the years to come people will get used to it and the poll will change its figures. Frequently, I teach how to deal with some programs to colleagues of mine. It is not age but to feel like learning anything, whatever it is.

Nice poll.

Cheers.
Inés
Collapse

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
Birthdays and GUY FAWKES Jan 17, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:
By the way, Prokop, congratulations on sharing my birthday, of course not the same year, you understand. Just who was Guy Fawkes?

Here's a nice little article about Guy Fawkes and the origins of the word 'guy':

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-guy1.htm

Thomas

Carina Lucindo
Carina Lucindo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:26
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
burnout Jan 17, 2006

Maybe the decrease in the number of translators above the age of 50 has to do with a problem that affects our profession: burnout.

Maybe, as it was already mentioned in this discussion, some translators just end up giving up the hardships of the profession after some time.

What do you think?

Regards,

Carina

theDsaint
theDsaint
French to Italian
+ ...
it's official Jan 17, 2006

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

I'm happy that I'm not alone among all the experienced translators. Actually, I was born on Guy Fawkes' Night, i.e. November 5th.

You're not the youngest ProZ member: 29th November! So, am I the baby girl? I cant' belive there's nobody born in 1983...:o

Prokop Vantuch
Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
under 18 Jan 18, 2006

theDsaint wrote:

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

You're not the youngest ProZ member: 29th November! So, am I the baby girl? I cant' belive there's nobody born in 1983...:o

Well, I think that there was somebody who voted for the "under 18" option in the poll, so I think there must be somebody younger than the two of us. Or was it just somebody's joke?

Prokop

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How old are you?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »