Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been rude to a client or agency?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Re> dog-eat-dog mirroring Feb 28, 2018

And how vulnerable are we to the predators with good manners when we lose control and go emotional?
That's why all the courteous predators easily take advantage of the fear-ridden, the familiar, the distressed, the unaware, the vulnerable, the politically-corrected, and the needy.

When enough is really enough.

Mario Acosta
Mario Acosta  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:05
English to Spanish
Yes Feb 28, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Some agencies apparently consider it "rude" when I want them to take our agreed payment term as seriously as I take their deadlines.

I'm on the same page. I experience the same problem.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:05
Member (2006)
German to English
No Mar 1, 2018

Why should you be rude? You can just make your point direct without being offensive, we are professionals after all.....

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
professional predators after all Mar 1, 2018

Michael, you must not be really rude, because any can turn around your simple words as an abuse or worse. Why, even your silence could be...

I think the very issue is people still cling to the outdated and even harmful 'win-win' style even at their expense. For what it's worth, it appears that polite and tolerant people is an easy prey.

Would one prefer a predator with good manners or any would do--the same?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:05
French to English
Never Mar 2, 2018

I don't see any point in being rude. Icy polite sarcasm works beautifully, as Christine said.

I might be rude to a potential client agency trying to get my services for next to nothing, but they're not a client and won't ever be.

I remember being told by my boss never to be rude, even to a stupid potential intern, because you never know if they might not wind up working for a big client. Not that he bothered to follow his own rule, but I think there's a certain truth
... See more
I don't see any point in being rude. Icy polite sarcasm works beautifully, as Christine said.

I might be rude to a potential client agency trying to get my services for next to nothing, but they're not a client and won't ever be.

I remember being told by my boss never to be rude, even to a stupid potential intern, because you never know if they might not wind up working for a big client. Not that he bothered to follow his own rule, but I think there's a certain truth to that.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:05
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rude is not the word Mar 2, 2018

I have been very harsh with clients, several times, mainly due to late payments and/or to incompetent revisers. But you can't say I was rude, although I'm sure many of these clients and revisers probably thought I was rude. Being a little aggressive and showing a little disatisfaction is not being rude, and it works just fine, whereas being always nice and polite in these cases is useless.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been rude to a client or agency?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »