Off topic: ProZ's Recipes from Around the World
Autor de la hebra: J Celeita (X)
J Celeita (X)
J Celeita (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
español al inglés
+ ...
Jun 7, 2010

Hi everyone! I have been wanting to start a thread specifically for us to post recipes. If you love cooking (and eating) as much as I do, please share your tried and true recipes and even new ones you are thinking of trying.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 16:06
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Here's one that's tried and true! Jun 7, 2010

This isn't Brazilian, but it's great for people who don't eat eggs and love chocolate, and you won't believe how delicious it is! You can frost it with your favorite icing.

VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 heaping tbs cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
6 tbs oil
1 tbs white or rice vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients in a larger bowl and wet ingredients in a sma
... See more
This isn't Brazilian, but it's great for people who don't eat eggs and love chocolate, and you won't believe how delicious it is! You can frost it with your favorite icing.

VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 heaping tbs cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
6 tbs oil
1 tbs white or rice vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients in a larger bowl and wet ingredients in a smaller one. Add the wet to the dry and beat well. Pour into a greased cake pan. Bake at 350º for 35 to 40 minutes, checking to see that it's not under or over done. For a layer cake, double the ingredients.
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
Miembro 2005
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Great idea! Jun 7, 2010

I love cooking and eating, too. I'd be happy to share my recipes and learn from others'. I sometimes google for other countries' recipes because I like to try new things, but I think there's nothing like a real person telling how it is (there's a lot of "adapted" dishes out there).

So, count me in, Jesi! We just post our recipes here? What's your idea?

Have a great evening,

Cristina

J Celeita (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Hi ladies! Jun 8, 2010

The cake recipe sounds delicious! It's funny because I had started beating the butter for a yellow cake earlier and realized I had no eggs...so this recipe is perfect! That happens to me quite often. =-)

Cristina I know exactly how that is. I have been searching for a good recipe for Naan bread for years, and have tried several different ones, but none even come close to the one I buy at the store.

Here is a recipe for Tres Leches Cake:

4 egg whites
... See more
The cake recipe sounds delicious! It's funny because I had started beating the butter for a yellow cake earlier and realized I had no eggs...so this recipe is perfect! That happens to me quite often. =-)

Cristina I know exactly how that is. I have been searching for a good recipe for Naan bread for years, and have tried several different ones, but none even come close to the one I buy at the store.

Here is a recipe for Tres Leches Cake:

4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar (230 g)
1 ts baking powder (1 teaspoon, 1 "cucharadita de té", 5 g)
1 cup flour (230 g)
4 spoonfuls (soup spoon size) of icy cold water

1 can condensed milk
1 box of whipping cream
1 can evaporated milk

Beat the egg whites until frothy, then add the egg yolks one at a time while beating (with electric mixer). Then add the cup of sugar, the 1 ts of baking powder, and finally the flour (mix in between ingredients). Once its all incorporated you add four soup spoon size spoonfuls of icy cold water and beat again. This goes in the oven (350 degrees) and to be honest I don't know for how long, but until you touch the top lightly and it feels firm (I think it's usually 45-60 minutes, no more than that). Or you can also stick a knife in and see if it comes out clean.

While the cake is cooking, in a bowl mix the can of condensed milk, the can of evaporated milk, and with the can of evaporated milk, measure a can of cream (if you buy the smaller box of cream that should be fine as well, I use a lot of cream for cooking so I usually buy the bottle). As soon as the cake comes out, place it in a serving dish or even a Pyrex that is bigger than the size of the cake (it gets messy if you don't put it in a pan or dish that is at least a little bit deep). While the cake is hot, pour the "leches" mix over it slowly, letting it soak it all up. Make sure to get the edges too. Once it's all poured out, with a spoon you can keep scooping the mix fromt he sides and pouring it on top of the cake. It's ok if it has some on the sides, the cake will eventually soak most of it up. Put it in the fridge to cool. It can be frosted with whipping cream if desired (it makes it too sweet for me).

I have been making it for years and everyone loves it! I even made it once (decorated with whipped cream and strawberries) for a cake auction and it sold for $ 100 and I got a prize ribbon!!

**With this same cake recipe, I make a delicious Tiramisú...I'll post that tomorrow.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 03:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-08 03:04 GMT]
Collapse

Judith Kiraly
Judith Kiraly  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
inglés al húngaro
It is Cherry season! Jun 8, 2010

HUNGARIAN CHERRY PIE (Cseresznyés lepény)

6 eggs, separated
2 oz butter (60 g)
7 oz granulated sugar (200 g)
4 oz fine breadcrumbs (120 g)
lemon zest (optional)
1 lb pitted cherries (500 g)

Grease lightly a 10” x 14” (approx., 25 cm x 35 cm) baking pan with butter.
Preheat the oven to 350 F (170 C).
Beat the butter and half of the sugar with the egg yolks (lemon zest) and stir until fluffy and airy. In another bowl, beat t
... See more
HUNGARIAN CHERRY PIE (Cseresznyés lepény)

6 eggs, separated
2 oz butter (60 g)
7 oz granulated sugar (200 g)
4 oz fine breadcrumbs (120 g)
lemon zest (optional)
1 lb pitted cherries (500 g)

Grease lightly a 10” x 14” (approx., 25 cm x 35 cm) baking pan with butter.
Preheat the oven to 350 F (170 C).
Beat the butter and half of the sugar with the egg yolks (lemon zest) and stir until fluffy and airy. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, add the other half of the sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat it again until stiff.
Fold alternately the beaten egg whites and the breadcrumbs into the yolk mixture, stir lightly.
Pour the dough into the pan. Drop in the cherries, pressing them lightly into the dough.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Cut it in squares until warm and serve sprinkling with powdered sugar.

This recipe is from The Traditional Hungarian Kitchen by Ilona Horváth and one of my family's favorites.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 02:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-06-08 02:50 GMT]
Collapse

J Celeita (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
Yum! Jun 8, 2010

Judith this sounds delicious!! I love cherry pie!

here is a great and fast oz/g calculator I found online for measurements in case anyone needs it:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/gram-conversions.aspx

[Edited at 2010-06-08 03:05 GMT]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:06
inglés al español
5-minute brownie... Jun 8, 2010

Disclaimer: Knowing how to make this easy microwave brownie in a cup should be considered a health hazard for stay-at-home freelancers that put on weight easily. Proceed at your own risk.

Original version: http://i.imgur.com/mqJK3.jpg
... See more
Disclaimer: Knowing how to make this easy microwave brownie in a cup should be considered a health hazard for stay-at-home freelancers that put on weight easily. Proceed at your own risk.

Original version: http://i.imgur.com/mqJK3.jpg

Instructables video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5n1NvS0f8&feature=player_embedded

(Instructables only added the chocolate chips and the cute girl. The oil can be substituted with melted butter, and of course you can add peanuts, walnuts, etc., but it's really nice even without any additions.)

[Edited at 2010-06-08 06:52 GMT]
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 21:06
Miembro
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
Pizza thread Jun 8, 2010

You may find a lot of pizza recipes from all over the word in this older thread. Enjoy!
Attila

J Celeita (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
Love Pizza! Jun 8, 2010

Thank you Attila! All the toppings sound great!

I make pizza at least once a week. Here's my easy pizza dough recipe:

1 or 2 packets of yeast (any kind, the yeast amount is up to how "yeasty" you want the dough to taste).
1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 ts sugar
salt (about 1 teaspoon, can be more)
2 tbs honey
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix the warm water, yeast, and sugar, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Add the honey and salt. If I h
... See more
Thank you Attila! All the toppings sound great!

I make pizza at least once a week. Here's my easy pizza dough recipe:

1 or 2 packets of yeast (any kind, the yeast amount is up to how "yeasty" you want the dough to taste).
1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 ts sugar
salt (about 1 teaspoon, can be more)
2 tbs honey
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix the warm water, yeast, and sugar, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Add the honey and salt. If I have time I add 1 cup of the flour and let that rise, then add the remaining 2.5 cups, if not, you can add the entire 3.5 cups of flour at once. Knead the dough lightly and let it sit in a bowl (floured) to rise (covered with a dry cloth). Usually after 30-45 minutes it's risen to double its size, and then I knead it some more. Pour olive oil in two pizza pans (or any pan), stretch the dough, and put in the oven, which needs to be preheated to 400-415 degrees. Cook pizza (with nothing on it) for about 8-10 minutes. Take them out and put the sauce and toppings, then pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 17:59 GMT]
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
inglés al alemán
uhm...not to beat my own drum but Jun 8, 2010

I have a recipe blog with mostly vegetarian recipes

J Celeita (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
Hi Rebekka! Jun 8, 2010

Your recipes look great! I eat vegetarian quite a bit. Do you eat tofu?

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
inglés al alemán
tofu Jun 9, 2010

Jesi Celeita wrote:

Your recipes look great! I eat vegetarian quite a bit. Do you eat tofu?

Occasionally, not very often. I prefer mediterranean-style cuisine.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia y Herzegovina
Miembro 2009
inglés al croata
+ ...
Carrot Cake Jun 9, 2010

Here's one:

500 g grated carrots
7 spoons brown sugar ( or more / less, depends how sugary you like it)
4 eggs
1 cup oil
3 tsp baking powder
400 g flour
Lemon juice (half a lemon)
Grated lemon peel ( 1 lemon)
Cinnamon, vanilla and some ginger optionally ( you choose the quantity according to your taste).

Mix all ingredients together, adding flour and baking powder at the very end. Then pour the mixture in
... See more
Here's one:

500 g grated carrots
7 spoons brown sugar ( or more / less, depends how sugary you like it)
4 eggs
1 cup oil
3 tsp baking powder
400 g flour
Lemon juice (half a lemon)
Grated lemon peel ( 1 lemon)
Cinnamon, vanilla and some ginger optionally ( you choose the quantity according to your taste).

Mix all ingredients together, adding flour and baking powder at the very end. Then pour the mixture into a greased cake pan. Bake for about 50-60 minutes on 250 C, in a preheated oven. You may spread some sugar powder on the cake once it's baked.

This one is particularly useful if you can't make your child eat carrots, because it's delicious and they won't even feel the carrot. ; )
Collapse

J Celeita (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
Old Fashioned Pancakes Jun 12, 2010

Here is the basic recipe:

3 Tb butter (40 g)
1 egg
3 1/2 ts baking powder
1 1/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 cup of flour
1 TB sugar
pinch of salt

Mix butter, sugar, and egg together. If egg is cold from the fridge the butter will get "chunky", just keep beating and it will be ok once you add the other ingredients. Add the baking powder, milk, salt, and flour.

I add 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. You can also add
... See more
Here is the basic recipe:

3 Tb butter (40 g)
1 egg
3 1/2 ts baking powder
1 1/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 cup of flour
1 TB sugar
pinch of salt

Mix butter, sugar, and egg together. If egg is cold from the fridge the butter will get "chunky", just keep beating and it will be ok once you add the other ingredients. Add the baking powder, milk, salt, and flour.

I add 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. You can also add chocolate chips, or a mashed banana.

They are delicious!

[Edited at 2010-06-12 05:44 GMT]
Collapse

Jenni Lukac (X)
Jenni Lukac (X)  Identity Verified
español al inglés
+ ...
an eggplant recipe called Imam Bayildi - supposed "The Priest Fainted" Jun 12, 2010

This is one of my favourite eggplant recipes. It can be served warm or at room temperature. Perhaps a Turkish - English translator can tell me if the English name is a good translation. I have also seen "The priest was astounded", perhaps by the wonderful favour of the dish offered to him. This recipe crops up throughout Greece, Turkey, and Bulgaria with variations in the herbs used to spice the dish.

Ingredients:
4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
3 medium long and narrow egg
... See more
This is one of my favourite eggplant recipes. It can be served warm or at room temperature. Perhaps a Turkish - English translator can tell me if the English name is a good translation. I have also seen "The priest was astounded", perhaps by the wonderful favour of the dish offered to him. This recipe crops up throughout Greece, Turkey, and Bulgaria with variations in the herbs used to spice the dish.

Ingredients:
4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
3 medium long and narrow eggplants, about 1 lb. each
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 crushed garlic cloves
3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup dried currants
salt and pepper to taste
an additional 1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 tsp. whole thyme
2 crumbled bay leaves
1 tsp. sugar
the juice of 1 lemon

Peel and dice the tomatoes. Drain them in a colander for 1 hour. Discard the juice.
Cut the stems off the eggplants. Cut them in half lengthwise and using a vegetable peeler, remove three long strips of the the skin. Using a metal spoon, scoop out enough of the center to make a boat that has very thick sides and bottom. Coarsely chop the scraped eglant and reserve.

Sprinkle salt on each eggplant boat and set on a rack to drain, skin side up for 45 minutes.

While the eggplant "sweats" prepare the filling:

Heat the large frying pan and add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and the garlic. Sauté the garlic for a moment and then add the onions and the chopped pulp you have scraped out of the eggplants to make boat forms. Sauté these ingredients until the onions are transparent. Remove from the heat and place the onions, garlic, eggplant scrapings, tomatoes, parsley, and currants in a bowl and mix them gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Wipe the eggplant boats dry, fill each with the prepared filling and place them in an ovenproof cassarole. Mix the additional 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1/2 cup of water andadd the thyme, bay leaves, sugar, and lemon juice. Pour 2 Tbsp. of this mixture over each eggplant boat and pour the remaining liquid into the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and continue to simmer until the eggplants are quite soft, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the dish to cool without removing the lid.

Serve cold or at room temperature.
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ's Recipes from Around the World

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »