Off topic: EMF
Autor wątku: humbird
May 26, 2010

Hi All!

Now that we are sitting in front of computer for long hours in order to perform our task (needless to say to make living), we have a reason to be concerned about harmful effect that the notrious EMF have on us.
What is EMF? In this case it stands for the electro magnetic fields.
This cause some of us cancer whatever form it would be.

This subject is suddenly became close to me as I recently have gone through a removal of renal caricinoma in my left
... See more
Hi All!

Now that we are sitting in front of computer for long hours in order to perform our task (needless to say to make living), we have a reason to be concerned about harmful effect that the notrious EMF have on us.

This subject is suddenly became close to me as I recently have gone through a removal of renal caricinoma in my left kidney. Oh no, the kidney was not removed from me. I was saved from such disaster by sheer luck. This is why.
When I went through a CAT scan one day, they found something in the kidney.
I heeded my doctor's recommendation of going through biopsy. So I did. The result was positive -- lo, I have a seed of cancer there (about 6 mm in size).
The procedure quickly removed that source of potential life threatening situation. Now the carcinoma is burnt, and was put out of the harm's way.

OK, this is a long story. You are wondering what such a personal medical history story (in this case this is herstory) to do with you.
It is because I recently found potentially good news for you guys and gals.

Buy a pot of cactus; place it near your computer. Be careful that you don't place it in a position so its thorns don't hurt you!
It will protect you from the EMF, thus possible cancer menace.
Source: WDDTY newsletter

Happy translation and health for you all

[Edited at 2010-05-26 18:47 GMT]
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 18:47
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Do it 'cause you like cacti... May 26, 2010

I am very glad to hear that you are OK, but I seriously doubt that you can count on any real shielding effects from a cactus.

Sitting a bit further away from the monitor might prove more useful.

humbird
humbird
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for your interest in this matter May 26, 2010

David Russi wrote:

I am very glad to hear that you are OK, but I seriously doubt that you can count on any real shielding effects from a cactus.

Sitting a bit further away from the monitor might prove more useful.

I don't know how far is good, as well as how we can sit away from the monitor vis-a-vis our individual eye sight situation.

The site was started by Lynn McTaggart the author of "The Field" and other books, and while opinion may vary, I rely quite a bit on WDDTY as this is quite reliable medical information source and good forum on exchange experiences and information with fellow subscribers all over the world.

The info I just conveyed to you is based on a scientifc (LO, a magic word of 21st century!) research.

Don't take me wrong but I happen to be living in a tropical desert country where all types of cacti are abandant.
I may be biased on this choice due to that fact, though everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Good health and happy translations!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 01:47
szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Does it? May 26, 2010

I'm very sorry to hear about your illness, but happy to hear that you're recovering.
humbird wrote:

But do you have any to peer reviewed scientific research confirming this statement?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 01:47
szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Sorry, missed this one before May 26, 2010

humbird wrote:

The info I just conveyed to you is based on a scientifc (LO, a magic word of 21st century!) research.

I'm always interested in serious scientific research which might hep all of us live healthier/happier lives. Could you please provide a link to Lancet or wherever this research was published?

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 02:47
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski
+ ...
EMF? Sounds more like BS to me May 26, 2010

So, we're expected to believe that placing a cactus TO ONE SIDE of a computer monitor will somehow protect the person sitting IN FRONT of said monitor. How does that work then? Do cacti project force fields to deflect the EMF away from the user? Or maybe their spines somehow attract the radiation and absorb it? I suppose putting a cactus, or several cacti, in front of the screen might have an effect, but it might be a bit tricky to work! In any case, how much radiation does a modern LCD screen e... See more
So, we're expected to believe that placing a cactus TO ONE SIDE of a computer monitor will somehow protect the person sitting IN FRONT of said monitor. How does that work then? Do cacti project force fields to deflect the EMF away from the user? Or maybe their spines somehow attract the radiation and absorb it? I suppose putting a cactus, or several cacti, in front of the screen might have an effect, but it might be a bit tricky to work! In any case, how much radiation does a modern LCD screen emit?

Andy
Collapse

humbird
humbird
NOWY TEMAT
Here is the site May 27, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I'm always interested in serious scientific research which might hep all of us live healthier/happier lives. Could you please provide a link to Lancet or wherever this research was published?

Hi Madeleine,
The site is here.

http://www.wddty.com/news

There are virtually hundreds of health-medical information here, and this afternoon while I am idle between assignments, I went through the News site.

Unfortunately I could not find this "cactus -- EMF connection" ariticle once I found and wish to make link here, but if you are a so-called "health nut", please go there and read any topic of your interest.
It is quite interesting. Besides it is Britain based.

Thank you for your kind words about my health. I am feeling very healthy now.

Kind regards,

[Edited at 2010-05-27 00:31 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 20:47
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Flat screen EMF - anyone know? May 27, 2010

There may be something about the EMF-cancer connection. I had a friend who passed away about 10 years ago from a brain glioblastoma, and the Montreal Neurological Institute, certainly one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the field (with many peers doing peer reviews...), told him it originated from EMF, caused by many years of exposure to an unvarying EMF field - in this case it was the wiring in his house and his habit of spending many hours every day for years in the same livin... See more
There may be something about the EMF-cancer connection. I had a friend who passed away about 10 years ago from a brain glioblastoma, and the Montreal Neurological Institute, certainly one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the field (with many peers doing peer reviews...), told him it originated from EMF, caused by many years of exposure to an unvarying EMF field - in this case it was the wiring in his house and his habit of spending many hours every day for years in the same living room chair.

Not sure about the cactus, tho'.

But the question leads me to wonder, are LCD screens safer? They don't have the powerful magnets and electron beams that the old CRT monitors had.
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
angielski
+ ...
I'm a skeptic. May 27, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

There may be something about the EMF-cancer connection. I had a friend who passed away about 10 years ago from a brain glioblastoma, and the Montreal Neurological Institute, certainly one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the field (with many peers doing peer reviews...), told him it originated from EMF, caused by many years of exposure to an unvarying EMF field - in this case it was the wiring in his house and his habit of spending many hours every day for years in the same living room chair.

Not sure about the cactus, tho'.

But the question leads me to wonder, are LCD screens safer? They don't have the powerful magnets and electron beams that the old CRT monitors had.

Hi John,

I worked as a student for a short time in the Montreal Neurological Institute, but that does not qualify me to speak in its name. Was this opinion given by the medical board, an attending physician, a resident, a student, a ward clerk? Certainly, wherever that pronouncement came from, it isn't valid unless it is supported by scientific evidence, and currently that evidence is, at best, inconclusive.

I would like to see the study that shows that cactus protects us from the harmful effects of electromagnetic fields, when in fact, there is no incontrovertible evidence that there is any effect.

See:

Electromagnetic radiation — Cancer was first associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) in 1979 when it was reported that children dying from cancer resided more often in homes believed to be exposed to higher EMF than did healthy control children [36]. The risks were as high as 2.2 for all cancers, 3.0 for leukemia and 2.4 for brain cancers. Wire configuration around houses was used as a surrogate for direct EMF exposure measurements. Twenty-one other studies of EM radiation exposure of variable methodology have reported odds ratios from 0.3 to 13.1 and standardized mortality ratios ranging from 114 to 340 [2].

Other observations have cast doubt on the possibility that EM radiation causes brain tumors. Biological plausibility has yet to be established, subsequent studies have reported conflicting results, and the probable roles of bias and confounding in these earlier studies have been emphasized. Many of the above studies have used wire configuration around houses as a surrogate for direct EMF exposure measurements. However, studies using more rigorous methodology, including direct, in-home measurement of EM radiation, have concluded that a large effect of this type of radiation on the risk of adult brain tumors can be excluded [3,37]. Similarly, there is no evidence that exposure of children or pregnant women to magnetic fields from high current power lines, electric heating sources, or electric appliances is associated with the subsequent occurrence of brain tumors in children [37-41]. Analyses of occupational exposure to magnetic fields have also failed to establish a relationship to the risk of brain tumors [42].

Radiofrequency radiation — Radiofrequency (RF) radiation exposures mainly involve microwave and radar equipment and occupational exposures (sealers, plastic welders, amateur radio operators, medical personnel, and telecommunications workers). Cellular telephones are also sources of RF exposure that have received coverage in the popular media as potential risk factors for brain tumors, presumably due to exposure of the head of the user to radio frequency energy. Unlike mobile cellular phones, portable cellular phones include an antenna as part of the headset, theoretically increasing cranial exposure to RF energy. Exposures to RF energy are difficult to quantify, even under laboratory conditions [43].

Both case control and cohort studies provide epidemiologic evidence that cellular telephone use does not have a large effect on the incidence of brain tumors [44-53]. These results are illustrated by two large studies:

* In a case-control study, the relationship between cellular telephone use and brain tumors was evaluated by comparing 782 patients with intracranial central nervous system tumors with 799 control patients admitted to the same hospitals with a variety of nonmalignant conditions [44]. The relative risks associated with cumulative use of cellular telephones for more than 100 hours were 0.9 for glioma (95 percent confidence interval [CI] 0.5 to 1.6), 0.7 for meningioma (95% CI 0.3-1.7), 1.4 for vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma) (95% CI 0.6-3.5), and 1.0 for all tumors combined (95% CI 0.6-1.5).
* A cohort study from Denmark of 420,000 cellular telephone users with a follow-up of five to 20 years compared the incidence of brain tumors and other cancers to the expected incidence in that population [45]. The standardized incidence ratio (SIR) for brain tumors was 0.97 (95%CI 0.93-0.97). Furthermore, no increase in risk could be identified in persons with 10 or more years of cellular telephone use.

Michael

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Cereus peruvianus et al... May 27, 2010

So pleased to hear of your successful treatment and recovery, humbird!

This article quotes one of the cactus experiments you refer to (about three quarters of the way down a long page): http://www.cogreslab.co.uk/computers.asp.

It goes into detail about lots of problems connected with emissions from computers, and suggests a range of solutions, keeping an open mind on
... See more
So pleased to hear of your successful treatment and recovery, humbird!

This article quotes one of the cactus experiments you refer to (about three quarters of the way down a long page): http://www.cogreslab.co.uk/computers.asp.

It goes into detail about lots of problems connected with emissions from computers, and suggests a range of solutions, keeping an open mind on some of the more far-fetched ones.

I've long respected Lynn McTaggart's awareness raising campaigns, and the articles in WDDTY go some way to redressing the balance when we're bombarded with government and pharmaceutical company "information" on health issues.

As for the cactus - it might not help, but why not ? Apart from the fact that cacti might not enjoy sitting by computers any more than we do! Right now mine is soaking up the sun outside and busy making lots of flower buds. So maybe I should go and do the same...

Best wishes,
Alison

[Edited at 2010-05-27 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Francja
francuski > angielski
+ ...
I'm more than skeptical May 27, 2010

Wordeffect wrote:

Right now [my cactus] is ... busy making lots of flower buds. So maybe I should go and do the same...

There is more chance of you sprouting flower buds than there is of a cactus off to the side of a monitor reducing the EMF field in front of it

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Take care! May 27, 2010

humbird wrote:
This subject is suddenly became close to me as I recently have gone through a removal of renal caricinoma in my left kidney. Oh no, the kidney was not removed from me. I was saved from such disaster by sheer luck. This is why.

EMF or not EMF, I am happy to hear that you are safe. Take care!!

humbird
humbird
NOWY TEMAT
We are damned if we do and ............. May 27, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

There may be something about the EMF-cancer connection. I had a friend who passed away about 10 years ago from a brain glioblastoma, and the Montreal Neurological Institute, certainly one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the field (with many peers doing peer reviews...),

Governments of many nations are slowly admitting that the usage of cellphone cause brain damage. While ramping the brain damage with cancer is too short circuited point to make, my point is made in the caption of this posting ---- neither choice is the best but we have to live with it. For now please see this article for cellphone danger (among others in your resource and accessibility)

http://www.wddty.com/mobile-phones-could-cause-cancer-government-agencies-admit.html

Mind you, cancer death is leading and increasing cause of our generation regardless of what age brackets, and we must wonder if there is any corelation of that with proliferation of magnetic tools that making our life so convenient.

I'm truely thankful for all who responded to my posting, and whether you are skeptic or not, someone like McTaggart are out there for reason.

[Edited at 2010-05-27 16:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-27 18:44 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Maybe, maybe not May 27, 2010

I'm no great believer, but this was told him by the doctor at MNI in charge of his case.

On the other hand...

In another McGill University hospital I once saw a poster on the wall, officially issued by the hospital, mapping cases of leukemia with proximity to a major electric power transmission line, over the last 5 years. Statistical proof of a connection between EMF and cancer....?

Then it came out a few months later that this particular power line had b
... See more
I'm no great believer, but this was told him by the doctor at MNI in charge of his case.

On the other hand...

In another McGill University hospital I once saw a poster on the wall, officially issued by the hospital, mapping cases of leukemia with proximity to a major electric power transmission line, over the last 5 years. Statistical proof of a connection between EMF and cancer....?

Then it came out a few months later that this particular power line had been out of service for 20 years, but the researchers hadn't thought to ask.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EMF

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »