Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I am currently busy trying to establish contacts with agencies in the USA.

My language pairs are EN>ES(ES) and DE>ES(ES).

What is your experience with the rates US agencies usually offer when they negotiate with you? I have realized that many agencies in the US only look for freelancers located in the US and, if they answer to my e-mails, their rates are ridiculous, way down of the rates in Europe. I mean, I have been contacted by some agen
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am currently busy trying to establish contacts with agencies in the USA.

My language pairs are EN>ES(ES) and DE>ES(ES).

What is your experience with the rates US agencies usually offer when they negotiate with you? I have realized that many agencies in the US only look for freelancers located in the US and, if they answer to my e-mails, their rates are ridiculous, way down of the rates in Europe. I mean, I have been contacted by some agencies with a 5 LWA in the Blue Board and they intend me to translate for them for 0.03 USD. In Europe, agencies accept higher rates and I think that I don't have the most expensive rates yet.

The issue is that, even one agency in Turkey, which hasn't given me any job yet but the contact person made all his efforts to find a way for me to receive payments from Turkey and which has algo got a 5 LWA, accepted my rates (the same one I have for every agency in Europe and anywhere). I think that the affordable rates for a Turkish agency should be lower than for a German one, for instance.

As far as I know, in same countries, like the US, there aren't Bachelor's Degrees for Translation and Interpretation studies, like in Spain, but, according to what I see in Linkedin, there are associations of translators and interpreters there. Do the American agencies value even less our job than the rest of the countries?

Maybe it's me who don't know how to negotiate with an agency and re-offer a higher rate to find a satisfactory rate for both parties.

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Dec 13, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:
What is your experience with the rates US agencies usually offer when they negotiate with you?

In my experience, about half of them offer good, average rates. A quarter offer low rates, and a quarter offer high rates.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US agencies' rates Dec 13, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Samuel.

Mm, I am not sure if I have ever got an offer for my combination German into Spanish. I think so and it was not much better than English into Spanish but maybe it's a matter of language pairs. English into Afrikaans is much more difficult to find that my language pairs.

I am already working to add Dutch into Spanish to my language pairs. I hope it make a difference with those agencies in Germany, for example, that t
... See more
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Samuel.

Mm, I am not sure if I have ever got an offer for my combination German into Spanish. I think so and it was not much better than English into Spanish but maybe it's a matter of language pairs. English into Afrikaans is much more difficult to find that my language pairs.

I am already working to add Dutch into Spanish to my language pairs. I hope it make a difference with those agencies in Germany, for example, that tell me that they do not need my language pairs at the moment but they will keep my details for the future.

In any case, I love how Dutch sounds so I do not feel I am wasting time.

Greetings,
Jorge
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jorge Dec 13, 2021

I only work with a handful of US agencies for several reasons: 1. I have plenty of work from European agencies and direct clients; 2. They insist on paying by PayPal and I insist on being paid by bank transfer or Wise; 3. I find that they usually are much more filled with red tape than their European counterparts (endless registration processes and NDAs); 4. Like you much of the offers I receive are ridiculous (for the lack of a better word)…

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal Dec 13, 2021

Hello, Teresa,

That is another point. They insist on paying via PayPal and I completely refuse to use PayPal. In addition, they can do kind of a local transfer to our USD Wise accounts, so I do not see where the problem is.

Obrigado for sharing your experience,
Jorge

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
US Agencies rates Dec 14, 2021

US agency rates are by and large determined by who is running the agency. More and more US agencies are owned and run by people who come from outside the US: Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and India. You can expect the rates these agencies "offer" to reflect the economic culture from which they come. Most likely this will sound biased, but I increasingly make decisions based on the name of the owner/PM. Of course the US is a nation of immigrants. But there are immigrants and ther... See more
US agency rates are by and large determined by who is running the agency. More and more US agencies are owned and run by people who come from outside the US: Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and India. You can expect the rates these agencies "offer" to reflect the economic culture from which they come. Most likely this will sound biased, but I increasingly make decisions based on the name of the owner/PM. Of course the US is a nation of immigrants. But there are immigrants and there are immigrants. Also, you will find agencies with offices in New York or LA but they are most likely headquartered somewhere in East Gavnyukistan. They want Oxford quality at Calcutta rates. And you can find the usual caveats: "best rates", "rate based on long-term cooperation", etc., etc.Collapse

Adieu
Baran Keki
Jorge Payan
Liviu-Lee Roth
Abregado Wang
Mary Oboh (X)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
US agency rates Dec 14, 2021

Jorge, another caveat is that agencies in the US largely source their Spanish translators in Latin America and expect rock bottom rates as translators there are willing to work for a pittance given the dire economic circumstances the countries find themselves in. You would be better off looking for direct clients. Good luck!

Adieu
Kevin Fulton
Robert Forstag

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US agencies' rates Dec 14, 2021

Thank for sharing your opinion, Michael.

Yes, I tought about the US' agencies finding their freelancers in Latin America but it's not that usual that a translator from Latin America can translate from DE into ES(ES).

Apart from that, I would like to remark in this thread the practice of some US agencies when they post jobs on Proz. it's usually not very successfull to apply to those jobs posted because there are a lot of quoters but I have got a couple of jobs that way.
... See more

Yes, I tought about the US' agencies finding their freelancers in Latin America but it's not that usual that a translator from Latin America can translate from DE into ES(ES).

Apart from that, I would like to remark in this thread the practice of some US agencies when they post jobs on Proz. it's usually not very successfull to apply to those jobs posted because there are a lot of quoters but I have got a couple of jobs that way.

I have read from time to time a job post from the US (I don't know if it's always the same agency) that finishes with the sentence "the lowest rate gets the job". It's obvious that agencies take into account the rate but it's offensive for us, as professionals, to read such statements. Of course, I don't send quotes to such jobs and I would like nobody else does.

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:52
English to Turkish
Couldn't agree more Dec 14, 2021

Michael Newton wrote:

US agency rates are by and large determined by who is running the agency. More and more US agencies are owned and run by people who come from outside the US: Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and India. You can expect the rates these agencies "offer" to reflect the economic culture from which they come. Most likely this will sound biased, but I increasingly make decisions based on the name of the owner/PM. Of course the US is a nation of immigrants. But there are immigrants and there are immigrants. Also, you will find agencies with offices in New York or LA but they are most likely headquartered somewhere in East Gavnyukistan. They want Oxford quality at Calcutta rates. And you can find the usual caveats: "best rates", "rate based on long-term cooperation", etc., etc.

The same goes for the agencies 'headquartered' in 'London' (though their IP addresses always lead to Moldovia or some such place) and run by people with Eastern European/Slavic sounding names.

Jorge Payan

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Language pairs Dec 14, 2021

Yes, I thought about the US' agencies finding their freelancers in Latin America but it's not that usual that a translator from Latin America can translate from DE into ES(ES).

Jorge

I don't think many American agencies work from DE into ES and vice versa. Most American agencies work only with languages pairs of which English is one of the languages.

[Edited at 2021-12-14 18:39 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PayPal Dec 14, 2021

That is another point. They insist on paying via PayPal and I completely refuse to use PayPal. In addition, they can do kind of a local transfer to our USD Wise accounts, so I do not see where the problem is.

The problem is that electronic funds transfer is complicated and unusual in the United States, whereas payment by cheque or PayPal is considered so normal that you would be considered weird if you did not acccept either of them. So you have to ask yourself the question: do you want US clients or not?

Not accepting US payment methods for US clients is almost like refusing to use US spelling when translating into English for US clients.

[Edited at 2021-12-14 10:47 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Tina Vonhof (X)
William Yang

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DE>ES(ES) Dec 14, 2021

Dear @jyuan_us,

Yes, you are right, but I have either receive offers or found posted in Proz for the language pair DE>ES(ES) from countries like the US, Brazil, Italia, Poland and the United Arab Emirates.

Of course, is not that usual, but there are some of them.

Note: Would someone be so kind to teach me how to quote someone in my reply? I am not get used to use forums and I have tried with "
" and "
" and I think it doesn't work on
... See more
Dear @jyuan_us,

Yes, you are right, but I have either receive offers or found posted in Proz for the language pair DE>ES(ES) from countries like the US, Brazil, Italia, Poland and the United Arab Emirates.

Of course, is not that usual, but there are some of them.

Note: Would someone be so kind to teach me how to quote someone in my reply? I am not get used to use forums and I have tried with "
" and "
" and I think it doesn't work on the preview (of course, without ", like HTML tags).

Thank you and best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotes Dec 14, 2021

Ok, the HTML tags work on the final view, but not in the preview.

Thank you,
Jorge

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Amazing! (off topic) Dec 15, 2021

I love how Dutch sounds

Most foreigners I know close their ears when they hear my native language. Just try to pronounce this (nonsense) sentence correctly: Er liggen negen brullende brillen te gorgelen in de Scheveningse grachten. And you'll know exactly what I am talking about.

[Edited at 2021-12-15 16:24 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
philgoddard

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:52
English to Turkish
What's wrong with Dutch? Dec 15, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Most foreigners I know close their ears when they hear my native language.

It's a profitable language! I wish I knew it

expressisverbis
Tina Vonhof (X)
Robert Forstag

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US agencies' rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »