Off topic: Translated sth in my free time, original author wants to buy the translation. What should I ask for?
Thread poster: Niels K.
Niels K.
Niels K.
Germany
Nov 22, 2021

Hi,

I am translating an indy-tabletop-role playing game for my son as a present during Christmas time from English to German. I offered the original author the translation because “why not”. The translation is done anyways.

I am not a professional translator; I only have some experience because I had to do a lot of translations (another language pair though) while studying.
The translation feels like translating a short novel and I don’t have to really trans
... See more
Hi,

I am translating an indy-tabletop-role playing game for my son as a present during Christmas time from English to German. I offered the original author the translation because “why not”. The translation is done anyways.

I am not a professional translator; I only have some experience because I had to do a lot of translations (another language pair though) while studying.
The translation feels like translating a short novel and I don’t have to really translate cultures or subtleties. Thus it is actually pretty easy compared to what I had to translate in the past.

The original author wants to pay me for the translation. I wonder what the right price would be. Even $0.08/word which I found as the lower bound for translations seems to be a lot for something they might not have done in the first place and I am not a professional. And I won’t do more translations in the future. At the same time I know that translations are often under appreciated from people who don’t do translations and I don’t want to undercut the professionals by too much.

It was suggested to me by a professional translator to ask here what other people think the right price would be. Thanks for any replies.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why not? Nov 22, 2021

Hi Niels,

There is actually a 'why not?' that you may not have thought of. If the translation turns out to be inadequate and the game owner has gone to a lot of expense for publication, distribution, etc. you may be liable for the costs. A lot of translators have insurance to cover them for such claims.

So you should definitely charge a rate that compensates you for taking that risk. If you are selling your work then you ARE a professional and will be expected to provid
... See more
Hi Niels,

There is actually a 'why not?' that you may not have thought of. If the translation turns out to be inadequate and the game owner has gone to a lot of expense for publication, distribution, etc. you may be liable for the costs. A lot of translators have insurance to cover them for such claims.

So you should definitely charge a rate that compensates you for taking that risk. If you are selling your work then you ARE a professional and will be expected to provide a professional product, even if you don't see it as your main occupation.

I'm afraid I don't know this field well enough to know what a normal rate would be. I hope someone else will be able to help with that.

Rachel
Collapse

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Emanuele Vacca
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 18:49
French to Italian
+ ...
Average rate: 8-11 cents per word Nov 22, 2021

According to the page below, the average rate for English to German games/gaming translation is EUR 0.08-0.11.

https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=eng&target_lang=deu&disc_spec_id=54¤cy=eur&submit=Submit

Niels K.
Niels K.
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 22, 2021

Thanks a lot for your help. I thought a bit about liability but you are right Rachel - if I sell it I get into pro-town and that's not where I want to be.

Ian Mansbridge
Ian Mansbridge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Professional revision Nov 23, 2021

Could you find a professional translator to revise it, and agree a price together?

Christine Andersen

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Don't underestimate yourself Nov 23, 2021

Niels K. wrote:

Hi,

The translation feels like translating a short novel and I don’t have to really translate cultures or subtleties. Thus it is actually pretty easy compared to what I had to translate in the past.

The original author wants to pay me for the translation. I wonder what the right price would be. Even $0.08/word which I found as the lower bound for translations seems to be a lot for something they might not have done in the first place and I am not a professional. And I won’t do more translations in the future. At the same time I know that translations are often under appreciated from people who don’t do translations and I don’t want to undercut the professionals by too much.

It was suggested to me by a professional translator to ask here what other people think the right price would be. Thanks for any replies.

Without going into a long list of examples and counter-examples, "being a professional (whatever)" is at times grossly overrated, so "not being a professional" and "it's my first translation" in itself doesn't necessarily mean "this is not good as any other average translation"

If, being honest with yourself, you are fairly sure that you didn't miss anything in the English version, and that your translation is "fit for purpose" (as in: you can play the game the same way as in the EN version) there is absolutely no reason not to charge an "average price" - somewhere in the middle of the usual price range.

You or the game author could ask for "a second opinion", but that is a double-edged sword, a kind of linguistic "Russian roulette". A "reviewer" might spot genuine omissions OR might start nitpicking and "improving downwards" just to prove its own usefulness.

As for the typically UK obsession with having "insurance" to cover your ***, you didn't translate some manual for operating dangerous machinery or handling explosives, so that aspect is for you irrelevant.

IOW either keep it as a "personal gift" to your son or if you sell it, sell it at a "normal" price.

[Edited at 2021-11-23 18:06 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
IrinaN
Robert Rietvelt
Korana Lasić
Christel Zipfel

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fair point Nov 24, 2021

Daryo wrote:

Niels K. wrote:

Hi,

Without going into a long list of examples and counter-examples, "being a professional (whatever)" is at times grossly overrated, so "not being a professional" and "it's my first translation" in itself doesn't necessarily mean "this is not good as any other average translation"

If, being honest with yourself, you are fairly sure that you didn't miss anything in the English version, and that your translation is "fit for purpose" (as in: you can play the game the same way as in the EN version) there is absolutely no reason not to charge an "average price" - somewhere in the middle of the usual price range.

You or the game author could ask for "a second opinion", but that is a double-edged sword, a kind of linguistic "Russian roulette". A "reviewer" might spot genuine omissions OR might start nitpicking and "improving downwards" just to prove its own usefulness.

As for the typically UK obsession with having "insurance" to cover your ***, you didn't translate some manual for operating dangerous machinery or handling explosives, so that aspect is for you irrelevant.

IOW either keep it as a "personal gift" to your son or if you sell it, sell it at a "normal" price.

[Edited at 2021-11-23 18:06 GMT]

This is a fair comment and I didn't mean to put Niels off. I was really just making a point that once you do make the switch from doing something as a hobby to taking money for it other things come into play that you need to think of, such as tedious stuff like invoicing and possible liability - you just need to take the job seriously, basically. All this needs to be factored in to your pricing so I wouldn't recommend selling at a low price because of being 'not a professional translator'.

expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:49
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
If I were you Nov 25, 2021

I would just ask them to add something to their credits, like "German localization provided by [your kid's name]'s dad Niels". Way cooler, if you ask me...

[Edited at 2021-11-25 08:27 GMT]

Rachel Waddington

Niels K.
Niels K.
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
no Nov 25, 2021

Ian Mansbridge wrote:

Could you find a professional translator to revise it, and agree a price together?

I don't know any professional translators - at least not for English-German; only for Japanese-German and this is then probably in the end more work and time consuming than the payout I would get.

Niels K.
Niels K.
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
adding attribution Nov 25, 2021

Recep Kurt wrote:

I would just ask them to add something to their credits, like "German localization provided by [your kid's name]'s dad Niels". Way cooler, if you ask me...

[Edited at 2021-11-25 06:37 GMT]

That's a good idea. And I got already promised a layouted version - so like the original one. Thus it will be better looking then what I would produce.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated sth in my free time, original author wants to buy the translation. What should I ask for?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »