Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:35
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
I had quite a few similar experiences Oct 28, 2021

Hi Ivona,

I hear you, absolutely. I know what it is like when no work is around and you are desperate. And I, too, accepted jobs with the lowest rates possible, only to get some money in. BUT: That's just not the way to go. We have to deal with a huge crowd of fake translators whose crap we have to fix in the end (some are willing to pay more because of that experience, or far less because they have already spent most of their budget on the crappy translation), we have to deal with
... See more
Hi Ivona,

I hear you, absolutely. I know what it is like when no work is around and you are desperate. And I, too, accepted jobs with the lowest rates possible, only to get some money in. BUT: That's just not the way to go. We have to deal with a huge crowd of fake translators whose crap we have to fix in the end (some are willing to pay more because of that experience, or far less because they have already spent most of their budget on the crappy translation), we have to deal with all those "professional" translators who work for ridiculously low rates. We have to compete with all of them. I find that since Corona things have got even worse. This has been the first year that I have almost zero work from August to October. I don't know where all this will end, but I'm no longer willing to accept jobs where I have to accept the company's conditions - they want me to do it? Accept my conditions. Rates too low? Okay, I'll plant some more veggies in my garden, so I don't have to spend money on buying them. Or I just go on a long walk with our dog. Time spent much more wisely and healthy. I have become much more unrelenting.
Collapse

Ivona Nováková

Ivona Nováková
Ivona Nováková  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:35
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 28, 2021

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi Ivona,

I hear you, absolutely. I know what it is like when no work is around and you are desperate. And I, too, accepted jobs with the lowest rates possible, only to get some money in. BUT: That's just not the way to go. We have to deal with a huge crowd of fake translators whose crap we have to fix in the end (some are willing to pay more because of that experience, or far less because they have already spent most of their budget on the crappy translation), we have to deal with all those "professional" translators who work for ridiculously low rates. We have to compete with all of them. I find that since Corona things have got even worse. This has been the first year that I have almost zero work from August to October. I don't know where all this will end, but I'm no longer willing to accept jobs where I have to accept the company's conditions - they want me to do it? Accept my conditions. Rates too low? Okay, I'll plant some more veggies in my garden, so I don't have to spend money on buying them. Or I just go on a long walk with our dog. Time spent much more wisely and healthy. I have become much more unrelenting.

Thank you! Answers and support from you all helps me to get up, respect myself and just say no.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unpaid hours of work / communication

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »