Thread poster: Alex Wang
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Both at fault Oct 15, 2021

I agree with the others that you should have specified you wanted Full MTPE. Your translator, on the other hand, should have asked you too. Leaving mistakes in it is a no no, even when performing MTPE. Finally, asking people to perform MTPE is - erm - asking for trouble.

Kay Denney

Alex Wang
Alex Wang
Local time: 02:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really? Oct 15, 2021

Hello Giovanni,

I want to thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

However, I really don't understand how it is possible that I could be at default. Try to imagine this: If you have a client who sends you a Google translation file to be edited/translated without saying anything and ask you how much you would charge, you tell that client that you would charge $0.04 per word. Neither of you said anything about "light" or "full" MPTE editing.

What woul
... See more
Hello Giovanni,

I want to thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

However, I really don't understand how it is possible that I could be at default. Try to imagine this: If you have a client who sends you a Google translation file to be edited/translated without saying anything and ask you how much you would charge, you tell that client that you would charge $0.04 per word. Neither of you said anything about "light" or "full" MPTE editing.

What would you deliver? Would you feel justified about delivering translation full of errors? And if your translation has numerous errors left from the Google translation, would you tell the client that your client should bear part of the responsibility?

I would have serious doubts that your client would buy that argument. The reason is simple, for me at least: Since neither of you said anything about the delivery quality, you should bear the full responsibility. When you proposed a rate to do the job, it is implied without saying that the translation will be up to the accepted standards of the industry. If you assume that you can deliver a defective product just because the client did not say anything, you will be absolutely wrong, for me at least. This is true for every single service and product. If you order a dish at a restaurant and that dish smells like a dead rat, could've the restaurant tell you that you have to take part of the responsibility because you did not say you do not want to dish that smells like a dead rat? No, I will buy that because we all know that, whether it tastes good enough or not, that dish should not smell like a dead direct. Period. The case is over.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment Dispute

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »