Stephanie Ellenburg
Stephanie Ellenburg
United States
Local time: 09:21
Member (2021)
English to German
Sep 30, 2021

Hi all,

I've noticed that many of you use Paypal and so do I. They recently asked me for my SSN which I am hesitant to give them because, you know, identity theft and all. It seems like if you have a personal account you have to give them this piece of information as it's apparently required by the IRS.

So my question is, would you/did you guys keep your personal account and trust Paypal with your SSN? Or would switching to a business account and then give them the EIN
... See more
Hi all,

I've noticed that many of you use Paypal and so do I. They recently asked me for my SSN which I am hesitant to give them because, you know, identity theft and all. It seems like if you have a personal account you have to give them this piece of information as it's apparently required by the IRS.

So my question is, would you/did you guys keep your personal account and trust Paypal with your SSN? Or would switching to a business account and then give them the EIN be the smarter decision? Would a business account come with any major drawback?

Thank you all in advance,
Stephanie
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stephanie Sep 30, 2021

Stephanie Ellenburg wrote:
They recently asked me for my SSN which I am hesitant to give...

AFAIK it's reasonably normal for a financial institution to ask you for your SSN. And PayPal is as safe as any bank.

Adriana Costa
Adriana Costa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:21
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Paypal- Safe to add SSN Sep 30, 2021

Hello:
Please read this informative article.
It might help you to make your decision.
https://mollaeilaw.com/blog/paypal-ssn-information

Stephanie Ellenburg
Stephanie Ellenburg
United States
Local time: 09:21
Member (2021)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel and @Adriana Oct 1, 2021

Thank you for your responses. Although I still don't know what I'm going to do, I very much appreciate the input.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal - Safe to add SSN?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »