Thread poster: Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
Local time: 13:50
German to English
Apr 27, 2018

Hello fellow translators and interpreters,

I have recently been officially appointed and sworn by a German court and can now affix my official seal and certification notice on my translations. Can anyone share with me their pricing approach for this "special" service? I was thinking of charging my usual rate plus a certification fee, maybe per page, but I don't know what's customary.

Many thanks for enlightening me about how you go about it.
Daniel

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Sent you a PM Apr 27, 2018

Prices for certified translations in Australia are far greater than most people would expect, with some charging over $0.50 per word or over $100/page.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Brazil Apr 28, 2018

This - http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/sworn-translation.html - is how sworn translations are done in Brazil, where they are an absolute requirement for documents in any foreign-language (i.e. other than PT) to be accepted for any legal/official purpose. The governing law was passed in 1943 and never amended to date, so anachronisms abound.

Just for reference.

Viviane Marx
Viviane Marx  Identity Verified
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Germany Apr 28, 2018

If you translate for the tribunal in Germany, you have to apply the JVEG for translations and you cannot charge for certification.
If you translate for private clients you can use your usual price or follow the JVEG plus certification (but not per page. Per document).
There are also several different approaches, i.e, if you receive the documents as word, as PDF and so on.
Good luck.

[Editada em 2018-04-28 12:12 GMT]

Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Apr 28, 2018

Many thanks Viviane, that is indeed very helpful. Do prices for private clients tend to be higher or lower than the regulated ones for official jobs?

Best,
Daniel

Viviane Marx
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Negociate Apr 29, 2018

Hi Daniel,
I don't know in your working pair. I use to charge the usual JVEG fees.
Sometimes we have to negociate (Students with low budget and so on). Menschlicher Verstand.
Good luck.

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
JVEG irrelevant Apr 29, 2018

Das JVEG sieht keine Zusatzgebühr für Beglaubigungen vor, der Preis ist immer gleich, egal ob beglaubigt oder nicht.

Ich persönlich berechne eine kleine Beglaubigungsgebühr pro Dokument, da der Aufwand ja nicht unerheblich ist. Erstens müssen sich die Kosten für die Ermächtigung (alle 5 Jahre erneut) und die Anschaffung des Stempels amortisieren, zweitens muss in ein zu beglaubigendes Dokument das Beglaubigungssprüchlein eingefügt werden, was bei sehr vollen Seiten manchma
... See more
Das JVEG sieht keine Zusatzgebühr für Beglaubigungen vor, der Preis ist immer gleich, egal ob beglaubigt oder nicht.

Ich persönlich berechne eine kleine Beglaubigungsgebühr pro Dokument, da der Aufwand ja nicht unerheblich ist. Erstens müssen sich die Kosten für die Ermächtigung (alle 5 Jahre erneut) und die Anschaffung des Stempels amortisieren, zweitens muss in ein zu beglaubigendes Dokument das Beglaubigungssprüchlein eingefügt werden, was bei sehr vollen Seiten manchmal recht aufwändig ist, dann muss alles ausgedruckt (im Gegensatz zu Versand per E-Mail) und geheftet werden. Bei dicken Dokumenten ist eine Bindung mit Amtsschnüre und Klebesiegelung notwendig. Also deutlich mehr Aufwand und Kosten als bei herkömmlichen Übersetzungen.
Collapse

Viviane Marx
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Ermächtigung erneuern Apr 30, 2018

Hallo German law1,
Wo muss man seine Ermächtigung erneuern?
In Rheinland-Pfalz nicht!

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Nordrhein-Westfalen Apr 30, 2018

Alle 5 Jahre muss ich meine Papiere erneut einreichen und eine kostenpflichtige Verlängerung beantragen.

Viviane Marx
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Ärgerlich May 1, 2018

Oh das ist richtig ärgerlich!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices for certified translation by sworn and officially appointed translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »