Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:01
German to Spanish
Sep 29, 2022

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what advantages I could have if I buy the latest version?
I do NOT work in a team, I simply receive orders, I translate them and send them back, so far I do not see what reason I could have to buy the software again, because honestly, I do not see what I could improve. It works good.

Thanks

Omer Dasbilek
Hans Lenting

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:01
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
There's a page for that on memoQ's website Sep 30, 2022

Here is the link to a page on memoQ's website called "memoQ features you missed": https://www.memoq.com/memoq-features-you-missed?v=8.3

I am in the same situation as you. The last version I bought was 8.3 in 2018 and I have only used memoQ very rarely since then. Now, after 5 years of using Trados Studio, I would like to go back to memoQ, because RWS has already started
... See more
Here is the link to a page on memoQ's website called "memoQ features you missed": https://www.memoq.com/memoq-features-you-missed?v=8.3

I am in the same situation as you. The last version I bought was 8.3 in 2018 and I have only used memoQ very rarely since then. Now, after 5 years of using Trados Studio, I would like to go back to memoQ, because RWS has already started breaking things (as I expected them to).

However, I am quite reluctant to pay 620 EUR. It does not make sense that I need to pay for all those years during which I did not use the tool. If an old client sends me new work after several years, will I make him pay for the years he did not use my services, just because I was in business and kept improving my skills and competences? I don't think any client will accept that. Most tools offer either a perpetual license or a subscription (monthly or yearly). memoQ offers what essentially is a yearly subscription but with retrospective payment on top of that, which is like imposing a sanction on people who happen to not use the tool for some time.

[Edited at 2022-09-30 07:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-09-30 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
See nothing necessary for my case Sep 30, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I see nothing that I could use. The only 2 things I would like to change is bigger check box (4k Monitors) and that if a warning appears in a segment and I mark it as irrelevant that this warning will propagate and it is also deleted in all the other segments where this supposed " error " appears.

However, I am quite reluctant to pay 620 EUR. It does not make sense that I need to pay for all those years during which I did not use the tool.

exactly, and after updating from 7 each new version is fixing bugs... that were introduced in the previous version... Anyway.. I like MemoQ and wil (have to) use it in the future, I hope they will maintain compatibility with the higher versions of my clients.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Five years Sep 30, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
The last version I bought was 8.3 in 2018 ... However, I am quite reluctant to pay 620 EUR. It does not make sense that I need to pay for all those years during which I did not use the tool.

True, but it's normal for the upgrade fee to increase the further away your existing version is from the latest version. With MemoQ, the price of the upgrade increases by 20% of the list price each year. So in your case, it's 5 years away, which means that even if MemoQ used an upgrade model similar to that of Trados, you would have had to buy the latest version at full price anyway.

Most tools offer either a perpetual license or a subscription (monthly or yearly). memoQ offers what essentially is a yearly subscription...

I know of no paid tool that offers a perpetual license AND perpetual free upgrades. Trados used to offer a perpetual license but they recently changed their policy retroactively.

Anyway, thanks for that wonderful link where one can see what has changed since one's own version. I wish other CAT tool vendors had something like that.

Epameinondas Soufleros

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:01
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Logic trap Sep 30, 2022

I think I was too quick to complain about the asking price, and I think I have fallen into the same trap as others before.

When you buy a tool with a perpetual license, say Microsoft Office 2021, you can use it for as long as you need, indefinitely, but when Office 2023 comes out and you want to benefit from its features, you will have to pay the full price again.
When you buy a tool with a subscription plan, say Microsoft Office 365, you can only use it for the subscription t
... See more
I think I was too quick to complain about the asking price, and I think I have fallen into the same trap as others before.

When you buy a tool with a perpetual license, say Microsoft Office 2021, you can use it for as long as you need, indefinitely, but when Office 2023 comes out and you want to benefit from its features, you will have to pay the full price again.
When you buy a tool with a subscription plan, say Microsoft Office 365, you can only use it for the subscription term: when this period ends, you can no longer use the tool.

So, yes, all things considered, memoQ might have a point there. In any case, I am sure the memoQ sales team would be happy to offer a reduced price to a long-time user. Or not. Just ask.

As for the benefits of upgrading from 8.3 to 9.12, they would mainly be 'quality of life' features, like the RegEx assistant, file filter improvements (I adore cascading filters), highlighting search terms in the grid so you can quickly locate where exactly the thing you are searching for is hidden in long-winding sentences, and others.

What I would like to see are the following, among others:
— complete overhaul of the extremely inconsistent GUI
— a faster grid, which does not lag when scrolling
— more straightforward handling of XLIFF files
— a better terminology tool
— access to memoQ Web and Qterm, so one can work from a Mac or Linux computer too
— a reworked LanguageTerminal or none at all (integrated with the web-based tools described above)
— making light resources more robust so that you don't lose data all the time (or just do away with the concept of resources, which create no end of complexity and confusion and pollute the GUI with long lists of micro-settings that were particular to a single project)

[Edited at 2022-09-30 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using version 8.3.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »