Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My vote is for "PRO" + "Basic" Dec 31, 2010

Enrique wrote:
This classification was created to handle questions that could be answered in the context provided by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary.

Personally, I'm not bilingual. How do I know what a bilingual person knows? But it's the bit about "without the aid of a dictionary" that I object to. It turns those of us who know the answer into walking dictionaries. Personally, I think that even "general public" askers should be encouraged to look in a dictionary first.

To my mind a "non-pro" question is something you know is basic but you just can't find the answer. This could be "do you speak English?" in Turkish as you're going on holiday there (although I'm sure Google Translate could handle that). I asked a monolingual English question a while back regarding cd/CD/Cd - clearly non-PRO but as a proofreader you need to be 100% sure something is actually wrong.

Do you think that it would be better to replace the names of these categories with "standard" and "basic" instead of "PRO" and "non-PRO"? (other options possible, of course).

I'm quite happy with the "PRO" category, albeit with a change in the definition and a requirement to provide details. It fits well with the site.

For the other category, some possibilities have already been given: "Easy" is still used in the "my KudoZ" section - certainly a possibility. "Help" could be confusing since PRO questions are supposed to do that, too! "Gen Pub" suffers from the same problems as "non-PRO". I think your idea of "basic", Enrique, is the best. There isn't the stigma of having your question voted down to "easy".

Can I add another issue here?

The division of monolingual questions in any way seems absurd, as does including them in the glossary. There may be some exceptions to that, but most askers want a paraphrasing so they can understand the term enough to be able to translate it. I very rarely use a dictionary when answering monolingual questions but some of them are understandably difficult for a non-native speaker. It's often more a grammatical problem than terminology. The whole question needs to be handled differently.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Specialized and Basic terminology Dec 31, 2010

Take the word pro out of the equation because experience strongly suggests that it automatically makes people feel it refers to the person asking and not to the question itself.
Imo, by using specialized and basic as question/term categories, fewer feathers would be ruffled and it might even reduce the number of arguments.

[Edited at 2010-12-31 12:20 GMT]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I second this suggestion Jan 2, 2011

writeaway wrote:
Imo, by using specialized and basic as question/term categories, fewer feathers would be ruffled and it might even reduce the number of arguments.

Take the PRO out of it.

[Edited at 2011-01-02 00:51 GMT]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

"basic" and "specialized" Jan 2, 2011

by using specialized and basic as question/term categories, fewer feathers would be ruffled and it might even reduce the number of arguments.

Take the PRO out of it.

I think these are both very good and reasonable suggestions.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pro/non-Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »