Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Jan 17, 2010

I've been a ProZian for many years now; today was the first time I saw an asker grade the answers he's received to his question. Interesting. I never knew an asker is able to grade answers. I find it a bit odd that while someone needs to post a KudoZ question because (s)he does not know how to translate a term, simultaneously (s)he is able to express her/his opinion about the proposed answers. Am I the only one to see contradiction here?

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Danish to English
askers grading answerers Jan 17, 2010

No, you are not alone. Actually, the idea is preposterous. But this whole kudoz business is strange. There are other topics regarding this on the forum. It would be better to do away with the point system completely. Then we could help each other without it turning into a point race.

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
There are several possibilities. Jan 17, 2010

If you go to one of the "bigger" language pairs, such as mine which is German-English, you will see that many Askers grade, however not all of them and not all the time. There are four things which may happen:

a) Although an "Asker" by definition does not know the answer him or herself, it may well be that he or she (=they) will recognise the right answer as soon as it is suggested. This is basically the "passive vs active vocabulary" phenomenen which we all know about. Then they c
... See more
If you go to one of the "bigger" language pairs, such as mine which is German-English, you will see that many Askers grade, however not all of them and not all the time. There are four things which may happen:

a) Although an "Asker" by definition does not know the answer him or herself, it may well be that he or she (=they) will recognise the right answer as soon as it is suggested. This is basically the "passive vs active vocabulary" phenomenen which we all know about. Then they can be confident about grading it. In fact the Asker often has quite a good idea as to what he or she would choose and is really only looking for confirmation by the peers.

b) Possibly the Asker really has no idea about the source term, which is often the case with technicalities. Then usually there are enough active peers who will discuss the suggestions and help the Asker to decide. This decision is made easier with the help of Discussion or Reference entries, as these often give a lot of useful background information from genuine experts.

c) The Asker may rely on the peers to vote for the right term, so he or she just awards points to whoever gets the most "Agrees" - but there is nothing automatic about this. Ocasionally the peers choose the "wrong" answer like this, but in the majority of cases the best translation "wins". And sometimes the Asker chooses - and awards the points to - an Answer which has not received many Agrees . This happens occasionally, because the Asker knows his or her source text and the client the best and thus can judge which answer will fit best.

d) The Asker can elect not to award points from the outset, then the question may be closed without grading, or the points are automatically given to the Answerer with the most "Agrees", so here the Asker does not need to grade any answer.

I must say I think that on the whole the present system for allocating points is fine.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Bewildering Jan 17, 2010

I see you have answered 540 questions and asked nearly 90.

So you want to tell us you have never closed your own questions nor the ones you have answered have ever been graded?

Really strange. Or am I missing something here?

Ildiko Santana
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
"grade" as in "Agree" / "Neutral" / "Disagree" voting + comments Jan 17, 2010

Christel Zipfel wrote:
am I missing something here?

I'm afraid you are. I was not referring to *selecting* an answer but *grading* the proposed answer(s). Below each answer you see a drop-down box for agree/neutral/disagree and a field where you can enter a brief comment. It would make more sense to me if askers didn't have the option to evaluate the answers they *receive*, just like it makes perfect sense that it is not possible to submit an answer to your own question. Sorry if my original post wasn't crystal clear.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same case in my language pair Jan 17, 2010

Recently I noticed that an asker had commented on an answer to his own question. "How is this possible, technically?", I asked, and a former moderator explained that the asker posted his question while not being logged in, then logged in to post an agree to one of the answers. It was a first-time user, so I shrugged it off. I am not too crazy about this practice.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Grading" vs. "peer commenting", and logged in vs. not Jan 18, 2010

I think the initial post was a bit confusing as it used the word "grading" while it was about peer commenting.
http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz.html#peer_commenting

I saw the same question, and noticed the same name, however the question had the name displayed in black, as a non-logged visitor, and the subsequent peer comment d
... See more
I think the initial post was a bit confusing as it used the word "grading" while it was about peer commenting.
http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz.html#peer_commenting

I saw the same question, and noticed the same name, however the question had the name displayed in black, as a non-logged visitor, and the subsequent peer comment displayed the name in red, as a registered user.

From this, I figured the person asked the question without logging in, and then probably decided to register. After registration, he went to check the answers to his own question. The system at this point did not recognize him as the asker, so he did not have an option to select the best answer, but he did have the peer commenting available. Since he did not know how to use KudoZ yet, did what he thought he should - agreed to the answer he liked. An other alternative is that he was a registered user before asking the question, he just forgot to log in, when asked it. Later on, he logged in.
In both cases I think it is not more than an inexperienced user, no ill will or anything is at play.

Katalin
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
strictly technical Jan 18, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

My apologies for any confusion.

In both cases I think it is not more than an inexperienced user, no ill will or anything is at play.

I did not even remotely suggest any ill will; the technical aspect had me puzzled a little bit. Thank you for the explanation.

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
wrong end of the stick Jan 18, 2010

Well, it seems that I got the wrong end of the stick here. My longish posting "there are several possibilities" refers to the fact that Askers eventually grade (i.e. give points to) one of the suggested answers, because I thought that Ildiko was questioning whether this was always a good idea.
No harm done!
Diana

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Issue confirmed and referred to internal developmentg to be fixed Jan 18, 2010

Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Apparently the system is allowing peer comments posted by non-logged-in askers of these questions (i.e. the system allows non-logged-in askers to peer grade answers to their own questions after logging in).

So, I am referring this to internal development to have it checked and fixed. In the meantime, would you mind, ildiko, submitting a support request to specif
... See more
Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Apparently the system is allowing peer comments posted by non-logged-in askers of these questions (i.e. the system allows non-logged-in askers to peer grade answers to their own questions after logging in).

So, I am referring this to internal development to have it checked and fixed. In the meantime, would you mind, ildiko, submitting a support request to specify the question in which you discovered this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Have a great week start!

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
New control added to questions posted by non-logged-in visitors Jan 21, 2010

Dear members,

Registered users will no longer able to post questions as non-logged-in visitors using the email addresses recorded in their profiles.

This should help prevent the kind of situations described in this thread.

Regards,
Enrique

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Only one side of the story Jan 21, 2010

Enrique wrote:

Dear members,

Registered users will no longer able to post questions as non-logged-in visitors using the email addresses recorded in their profiles.

This should help prevent the kind of situations described in this thread.

Regards,
Enrique

Hi Enrique,

Thank you for adding this feature but, as pointed out earlier in this thread, this is only one side of the story. The issue of non-logged in users that never registered with ProZ.com before but have so far been able to post peer comments to answers to their own questions after subsequent registration (i.e. registration after the posting of a question) needs to be resolved as well (IMHO). Is it correct that Lucia referred exactly this issue to the developers?

Regards,
Steffen

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The know problem has been addressed Jan 21, 2010

Steffen Walter wrote:

Thank you for adding this feature but, as pointed out earlier in this thread, this is only one side of the story. The issue of non-logged in users that never registered with ProZ.com before but have so far been able to post peer comments to answers to their own questions after subsequent registration (i.e. registration after the posting of a question) needs to be resolved as well (IMHO). Is it correct that Lucia referred exactly this issue to the developers?

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi Steffen,

In fact the issue addressed by Lucia was the one that has been solved now (registered non-logged-in askers able to peer grade answers to their own questions after logging in). The reported problems fell into this category (and the issue of registered users asking as non-logged-in visitors is not new at all).

While it would be possible for someone to ask a question as non-logged-in visitor, then create a profile and peer grade answers to the pre-registration question, there is no evidence that this has ever been a common practice.

In case instances of this are found, they should be submitted to staff's attention through the support system. If it is observed that this has become an issue, then it will be addressed.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

grading by asker

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »