Japan
Local time: 13:30
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jessica Aug 22, 2009

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Armorel has some very good points about the use of KudoZ. However, Yasutomo is saying that her "stalker" enters KudoZ *through her profile*. The answerer is not posting these neutrals and disagrees as he or she comes across interesting terms to discuss, but is rather, if I understand it correctly, deliberately selecting Yasutomo's answers for criticism. This is a personal attack, and should not be allowed.

Thank you Jessica, for your comments. You are on the right track. This stalker is deliberately selecting my answers for criticisms. That's why I started this forum in the first place and to see if anybody had the same experience in the past or experiencing it right at this moment.

P.S. I'm a "he".

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've never invited this stalker to stalk on my KudoZ contributions Aug 22, 2009

Helen Shiner wrote:

You have expressed it all very cogently and kindly, Armorel. I can only concur with everything you say. The only other thing I would wish to add would be that, unpleasant as the effect might be, I doubt that this is stalking per se. People can legitimately choose to track another peer or, indeed, a forum topic or a Kudoz question on this site. I have never tracked another peer in this way, so I do not know quite how it works when someone choses to do so, but I have recently been asked if I would mind someone tracking me - the system permits me as the trackee to choose if I will allow it. [I get the impression, however, that it used to be possible to track someone without asking him/her for permission. I may be wrong - it is just an impression, but it may be what has happened in your case, Yasutomo.] Generally I believe this is done to permit the tracker to learn from a particular peer's responses or because there is a genuine interest in them.

Equally one can check a peer's answers to Kudoz questions via his/her profile without the formality of the tracking process. Again, I am aware that others check my profile/Kudoz answers in this way. I am sure it is a wide-spread practice. People are busy and choose these short-cuts.

I hope this might throw some light on what is happening together with what others have said here, and I also hope you continue to contribute to, and benefit from, the Kudoz process. There are a lot of excellent professionals out there.

Hello Helen,

As written in my title to your reply, I've never allowed or invited this stalker to keep track of my KudoZ contributions. That's why I am calling "A" a stalker, and is the main topic and issue of this forum.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is that all you have to say? Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
Thank you for your comments, Armorel

Honestly Yasumoto, after describing your concerns as "stalking" and accusing someone of deliberately chasing you around, and seeing Armorel's very sensible and well-explained reply, I think you should say more than a thank you. I would expect you to tell us what you think of what Armorel has taken the time to explain to you.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Express your concerns to the A person! Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I have submitted a Support Ticket in the past, but since A's comments adhere to site rules and are not broken, Proz cannot do anything about this issue. I want A to get off my back and leave me alone, but any ideas to solve this problem?

Something I wanted to ask you: Have you written to this person you believe is stalking you? I sincerely feel there is some misunderstanding and that you might be misinterpreting the situation. Most probably this person wants you to be aware that you could be too confident in your knowledge in one or several language pairs to suggest solid and good Kudoz answers.

I encourage you to email this person via Proz and describe your feelings about the situation.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Tomas, for the confusion. Aug 22, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
Thank you for your comments, Armorel

Honestly Yasumoto, after describing your concerns as "stalking" and accusing someone of deliberately chasing you around, and seeing Armorel's very sensible and well-explained reply, I think you should say more than a thank you. I would expect you to tell us what you think of what Armorel has taken the time to explain to you.

After seeing Armorel's explanations and the detailed comments, I've written my replies to her, but somehow I posted my comments to her in the same "Quote" section, making it hard for people to read my comments. Would you kindly go through once again my reply titled "Thank you for you comments, Armorel"?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've thought about that Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I have submitted a Support Ticket in the past, but since A's comments adhere to site rules and are not broken, Proz cannot do anything about this issue. I want A to get off my back and leave me alone, but any ideas to solve this problem?

Something I wanted to ask you: Have you written to this person you believe is stalking you? I sincerely feel there is some misunderstanding and that you might be misinterpreting the situation. Most probably this person wants you to be aware that you could be too confident in your knowledge in one or several language pairs to suggest solid and good Kudoz answers.

I encourage you to email this person via Proz and describe your feelings about the situation.

Tomas, I've already thought about what you suggested.

But I still have one doubt. Is this kind of thing allowed at Proz? What I mean is that Proz is a site for translators, agencies and interpretors working in this industry to promote and collaborate to make the industry better, and the question is that if I'm allowed to send a "personal" message via Proz regarding my concerns and to ask the real intentions of "A". Would that be categorized as "personal" or "public"?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I meant Proz's email function Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
But I still have one doubt. Is this kind of thing allowed at Proz? What I mean is that Proz is a site for translators, agencies and interpretors working in this industry to promote and collaborate to make the industry better, and the question is that if I'm allowed to send a "personal" message via Proz regarding my concerns and to ask the real intentions of "A". Would that be categorized as "personal" or "public"?

What I meant was to go to this person's profile and use the Proz email function to write to this person directly, in private. A polite description of your concerns to this person is bound to get a polite reply and explanation of this person's motives.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe a bit off-topic, but Aug 22, 2009

I'm amazed at how many people have accessed my profile in the past 16 hours or so. I've posted this topic about 23:00 JST (15:00 CET) yesterday, and I think this clearly proves that the topic I posted was a "hot" one.

Just for your information, while browsing who's been accessing my profile from yesterday, I accidentally found out that A has accessed my profile twice until this moment, coming from KudoZ and not from the Forums section. I believe A is preying on my contributions, wh
... See more
I'm amazed at how many people have accessed my profile in the past 16 hours or so. I've posted this topic about 23:00 JST (15:00 CET) yesterday, and I think this clearly proves that the topic I posted was a "hot" one.

Just for your information, while browsing who's been accessing my profile from yesterday, I accidentally found out that A has accessed my profile twice until this moment, coming from KudoZ and not from the Forums section. I believe A is preying on my contributions, which incidentally, lucky me, I have only contributed to my working pair yesterday, which gives A no toys to play with.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know what you meant Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

What I meant was to go to this person's profile and use the Proz email function to write to this person directly, in private. A polite description of your concerns to this person is bound to get a polite reply and explanation of this person's motives.

Hi again Tomas,

I knew what you meant.

For my own sake, I would take your suggestion under advice and get in touch with A (if that's allowed, seems like there are strict rules using the Proz Email system, so I'll get in touch after I ask a site staff if sending such email is allowed, since I don't want any trouble). Thank you for the input.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
German to English
Proz is a public arena Aug 22, 2009

Anyone who posts information on Proz, whether in Kudoz, in the forums or in their profile, is putting this information in the public arena and accepting that it is now there for anyone who so wishes to view (and to comment on, through the appropriate channels). If someone chooses to repeatedly access that information(and comment on it, in keeping with the rules), I'm not sure you can class that as stalking.

I think that by focusing on the language of "stalking" you run the risk of
... See more
Anyone who posts information on Proz, whether in Kudoz, in the forums or in their profile, is putting this information in the public arena and accepting that it is now there for anyone who so wishes to view (and to comment on, through the appropriate channels). If someone chooses to repeatedly access that information(and comment on it, in keeping with the rules), I'm not sure you can class that as stalking.

I think that by focusing on the language of "stalking" you run the risk of overlooking the other aspect of this, which is that A is trying to make a point to you and is presumably feeling frustrated that you aren't grasping it. You may not agree with A's implied point, but nevertheless A has a right to make it and it would be a sad day if the site were to clamp down on the right of either of you to continue expressing your opinions.
Collapse

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Stalking Aug 22, 2009

May be this person is in competition with you for jobs (in the same language pair) ?
or is it purely personal ?
If he sends you rude e-mails, you can block the access to your mailbox....

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Proz is a public area" yes, indeed Aug 22, 2009

Armorel Young wrote:

I think that by focusing on the language of "stalking" you run the risk of overlooking the other aspect of this, which is that A is trying to make a point to you and is presumably feeling frustrated that you aren't grasping it. You may not agree with A's implied point, but nevertheless A has a right to make it and it would be a sad day if the site were to clamp down on the right of either of you to continue expressing your opinions.

Yes, I agree to what you say. But a certain person accessing your profile once in 4 or 5 days cycle for contributed Kudoz answers and commenting on them, some totally out of linguistic nature let's you down, don't you agree? And this certain person is targetting only you, not other translators, but just you.

I know that it's totally acceptable to access one's profiles and see how many KudoZ points one has earned; this is also done by agencies or end clients who are thinking of outsourcing a job to you, and that's totally understandable.

If A is trying to make a point, then why doesn't one do so? If A is frustrated that I am not getting A's message, A should send me a short email or using other means to make me understand his intentions. And of course, whether I agree to A's real intentions after hearing them, that's another story. It's just creepy that the same person is accessing your profile regularly, and posting negative and discouraging comments, and never an encouraging or "agree" even if my answer is correct. Is A trying to tell me "don't press your luck" just because you answered one question correctly?

[Edited at 2009-08-22 12:25 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Aug 22, 2009

GILLES MEUNIER wrote:

May be this person is in competition with you for jobs (in the same language pair) ?
or is it purely personal ?
If he sends you rude e-mails, you can block the access to your mailbox....

No, this person does not work in the same language pair or is in competition with me, except that we share the same source language but to a different target language, and in my opinion, I take it personally.

A has never sent me any rude emails (if A had, I would have reported it as abuse to the Site Staff).

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
- Aug 22, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

But a certain person accessing your profile once in 4 or 5 days cycle for contributed Kudoz answers and commenting on them, some totally out of linguistic nature let's you down, don't you agree? And this certain person is targetting only you, not other translators, but just you.

[bold emphasis by me]

That's the only thing where you might have a point. But as long as the person's comments are of linguistic nature, I can't see anything wrong with his visiting your profile and checking your answers.

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

If A is trying to make a point, then why doesn't one do so? If A is frustrated that I am not getting A's message, A should send me a short email or using other means to make me understand his intentions. And of course, whether I agree to A's real intentions after hearing them, that's another story.

I think the ball is in your court here. Why don't you ask him?

You might as well consider the unpleasant possibility that this person's disagrees might be justified. Ad hominems are a different story, of course, but as long as the comments are of a linguistic nature: no problem.

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:30
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Not only KudoZ and not really stalking, just monitoring Aug 22, 2009

For some reason, I get 3-4 visits from the same IP address every single day for the past 2 and a half years. The person is probably not a registered user of the site. I am also 98% sure about her identity.

Exactly 2 and a half years ago, I translated a book for somebody who managed to trick me into not waiting for an advance payment on the work I did. So... here I am today, with a fully translated version of a book the author of which is constantly monitoring my activity on the site
... See more
For some reason, I get 3-4 visits from the same IP address every single day for the past 2 and a half years. The person is probably not a registered user of the site. I am also 98% sure about her identity.

Exactly 2 and a half years ago, I translated a book for somebody who managed to trick me into not waiting for an advance payment on the work I did. So... here I am today, with a fully translated version of a book the author of which is constantly monitoring my activity on the site. At the beginning, I felt terribly angry, but it taught me a good lesson. Good thing I only turned in the first page. At least I have something that she wants, but will never obtain except for the case in which she is prepared to pay the equivalent amount for the work and penalties too.

Ana
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever been stalked at KudoZ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »