Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Feedback requested: Would you transfer your grading rights to the whole community?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Back to topic, please Jun 15, 2009

I hate to be the one to say it, but as Attila asked in the original posting, this thread should focus on answering the specific question he asked (answer is either A or B).
Discussion about the feature itself should take place in the original t
... See more
I hate to be the one to say it, but as Attila asked in the original posting, this thread should focus on answering the specific question he asked (answer is either A or B).
Discussion about the feature itself should take place in the original thread, which is here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/136495-askers_should_wait_24_hours_before_grading_or_transfer%20_the_grading_rights_to_the_community.html

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
French to English
+ ...
You're right, Jun 15, 2009

Sorry. I'll go to the original thread.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:51
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Same as everybody so far, Jun 16, 2009

I would definitely go for a).

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Results after 24 hours Jun 16, 2009

Thank you very much for the feedback.

24 hours after the thread has been opened, 34 users expressed their views. 33 replied explicitly to the opriginal question (I will add Anne-Marie Grant as 34th if she formulates her (otherwise fairly clear) preference explicitly.)

The users’ unanimously stated that they would never use option b). Some of them provided further explanation; it may be worth to collect the main points. (If I omitted some, lease let me know; I can edi
... See more
Thank you very much for the feedback.

24 hours after the thread has been opened, 34 users expressed their views. 33 replied explicitly to the opriginal question (I will add Anne-Marie Grant as 34th if she formulates her (otherwise fairly clear) preference explicitly.)

The users’ unanimously stated that they would never use option b). Some of them provided further explanation; it may be worth to collect the main points. (If I omitted some, lease let me know; I can edit my post for 24 hours). The other thread contains more feedback. So, here are some arguments against using option b):

b) doesn't make sense at all! (Aniello)

Who is the community and what ability does it have? (Jerzy)

You don't know who "the community" is. (Ruth @ MW)

I can't understand why anyone would select the answer and then not grade it themselves, it doesn't make any sense. (Daniel)

Much as I respect many of the members and users of this site, I never know which of them are on line at any given moment. (Christine)

I wouldn't want to insult anyone that has helped me by choosing b. (Nikki)

Don't really see any logic behind [b)] (Christel)

I don't see the point in option b (Marie-Céline)

B is simply daft – I couldn't take that option seriously if I wanted to. (Kevin)

Why would I chose B, where a robot does the grading with an algorithm that is faulty? (Katalin)

Not sure what purpose 'B' would serve. If I want the community to choose, I don't need to bother closing the question, do I? I just leave it, and it will eventually be closed and points will be awarded. (Kitty)

B is just stupid. See more details (Susan)

I'd never use b - how can a community possibly know which answer was the most helpful to me? (Alessandra)

I think this option [b)] is completely wrong (Tina)

I would always opt for a), unnecessary though I find it. (Alan)

The amount of 'agree' posted on wrong or not so good answers is amazing and should never be the reason for grading an answer See more details (Anne-Marie)

No, the community does not have my document so I don't believe that they know the best answer better than me, the Asker. Also people tend to think in their own dialect of the target language which may not be correct in my context, either. (gad)

The thread continues, others are welcome to express their opinion.

The present thread deals with users’ preference concerning their own questions. I would be equally interested to know what advice users would give to others about option b). For the sake of tractability, I opened a new thread, Feedback please #2: Would you advise anyone to transfer their grading rights to the entire community. Please consider contributing to it so that we can provide a detailed feedback to ProZ.com on users’ preferences.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their contribution and for keeping the thread so well on topic.

Kind regards,
Attila

*** Edited to add link to other thread ***

[Edited at 2009-06-16 07:21 GMT]
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
With apologies for coming to this so late... Jun 16, 2009

...A, most definitely. Never B.

Quite apart from the fact that the members of "the community" who chose to grade it may not, necessarily, be the ones to whom I would turn for advice if uncertain, would it not simply be downright rude not to grade for myself and, at the same time, thank everyone who had given of their time to help me?

A - every time.

Caryl

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
a), never b) Jun 16, 2009

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
always a) Jun 17, 2009

Never b).

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Practical example of this absurdity Sep 14, 2022

I came across a question which had only one answer when the asker chose to opt for community grading. Later on, a second answer was posted which got one agree (the first one got no agrees). The robot "chose" the first answer, though "based on peer agreement (or, if there were too few peer comments, asker preference)".
Which clearly is the demonstration of the complete absurdity of this option, if still any were needed: the asker didn't know the second answer when he/she "preferred" the fir
... See more
I came across a question which had only one answer when the asker chose to opt for community grading. Later on, a second answer was posted which got one agree (the first one got no agrees). The robot "chose" the first answer, though "based on peer agreement (or, if there were too few peer comments, asker preference)".
Which clearly is the demonstration of the complete absurdity of this option, if still any were needed: the asker didn't know the second answer when he/she "preferred" the first and only one at that time, opting for community grading.
So, couldn't we get rid of this nonsensical option altogether? Why on earth an asker would choose an answer and give the community the right to grade it? I really don't get it!

In this thread everyone had stated they would never use this option. So why is it still there?

(I'm sorry I haven't seen the OP for a long time... I hope Attila is fine.)
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Jo Macdonald
Susanna Martoni
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More concerned Sep 14, 2022

I'm more concerned about people cheating Kudoz by asking really easy questions and then awarding points to the people who *instantly* reply.

expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Daryo

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
a) Sep 18, 2022

I choose a)
I chose b) maybe once because I was a newbie here and did not understand clearly how the Kudoz system worked.

Option a) forever

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback requested: Would you transfer your grading rights to the whole community?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »