how is note taking in simultaneous interpreting?
Thread poster: pradityar
pradityar
pradityar
Local time: 08:17
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2013

I need some explanation about notetaking in simultaneous interpreting. thanks for your appreciation

Muhammad Said
Muhammad Said  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:17
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Consecutive needs note taking Apr 1, 2013

pradityar wrote:

I need some explanation about notetaking in simultaneous interpreting. thanks for your appreciation

Dear Sir,

you only need to take notes in consecutive interpreting, but it will be difficult to take notes in simultaneous because this could lead to some sort of lagging behind the speaker.

pradityar
pradityar
Local time: 08:17
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how how is it going if it possible Apr 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply, sir..
I do agree with your opinion. But, my lecturer says that there is note taking in simultaneous interpreting. and she ask me to find the complete explanation about it.

[Edited at 2013-04-01 15:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-01 15:31 GMT]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
You might want to read further on the subject Apr 1, 2013

Hello, and welcome. Here's a website for interpreter training that might help you:

http://interpreters.free.fr/

Hugo Martínez Andrade
Hugo Martínez Andrade  Identity Verified
France
French to Spanish
+ ...
Note-taking in simultaneous Apr 1, 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure of what you mean about note-taking in simultaneous, but it might be the notes you take when working with someone in the booth (e. g.: words that may be difficult for your colleague, numbers, names, etc.).

I hope this helps.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:17
Russian to English
+ ...
There is no time in simultaneous interpreting to take any notes. Apr 1, 2013

This is why it is quite a difficult profession. Sometimes you maybe able to take down a name, or a number, if you really need it, but I would not recommend it because you may get totally lost in the context. Getting lost is the worst thing.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Notes during simul Apr 1, 2013

Generally, people write very little during simul. Colleagues will often try and help each other out by writing down short items (acronyms, names, key terms the other is struggling to find etc.) because it's less intrusive than saying it out loud - but that's a different kettle of fish.

The only thing that interpreters tend to note down for themselves during simul is numbers. A lot of people find it easier to jot down a number or a date as they hear it and then read it off the paper
... See more
Generally, people write very little during simul. Colleagues will often try and help each other out by writing down short items (acronyms, names, key terms the other is struggling to find etc.) because it's less intrusive than saying it out loud - but that's a different kettle of fish.

The only thing that interpreters tend to note down for themselves during simul is numbers. A lot of people find it easier to jot down a number or a date as they hear it and then read it off the paper when they get there in the sentence. I rarely do this because I tend follow the speaker very closely so by the time I could write it down, I probably will have said it anyway. But I do find myself doing it occasionally, and some colleagues seem to do it with every single figure or date.
Other than that, people tend to write little, and generally not for the "current sentence", but for later reference (hard-to-remember names, acronyms; terms that you may struggle to instantly recall when you need them).

This is all individual preference. Through experience, people find out what works for them and develop a basic style or habit. There is no need for a rigorous system like the one some people advocate for consecutive.

[Edited at 2013-04-01 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Tell Apr 1, 2013

Tell your lecturer (obviously unqualified) that there is little or no note taking in simultaneous interpreting. Like everyone says, there is no time, although you can take some notes to help a colleague, but not yourself.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Or Apr 3, 2013

Ask the lecturer how he would like to reconcile SIMULTANEOUS interpreting with taking notes, which result in the loss of simultaneity of the interpreting process...

Having said that, I only deal witch chuchotage these days, but I have a notepad and pen ready anyway to scribble something down in case I need to. But it's nothing like taking notes for consecutive interpreting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how is note taking in simultaneous interpreting?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »