Thread poster: hfp
hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 06:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2009

What do you all use to record yourself or listen to yourself when you are interpreting or simply reading something? I am trying to find a program that will allow me to record myself as I study for the oral part of the Federal Court interpreting exam. I currently use Audacity, but that gives me errors sometimes.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try Speak-Write Feb 28, 2009

Speak-Write is a telephone dictation program, maybe this is what you are looking for. The website can be found at www.speak-write.com.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 03:21
English to Russian
+ ...
The old-fashoned way: a shoebox recorder and a tape Mar 1, 2009

I might be behind times - but this is what I do. I use a shoe-box recorder (bought on Amazon for under $30) and a tape (regular size, not micro).

It works just fine for me. I use it to record myself when I do exercises from ACEBO, and then listen to what I recorded and keep "score": the number of omissions, mistranslations, mispronunciations, grammatical errors, "um's" and "eh's", unnecessary pauses, etc. Thanks to this method, the number of all these flows consistently goes down
... See more
I might be behind times - but this is what I do. I use a shoe-box recorder (bought on Amazon for under $30) and a tape (regular size, not micro).

It works just fine for me. I use it to record myself when I do exercises from ACEBO, and then listen to what I recorded and keep "score": the number of omissions, mistranslations, mispronunciations, grammatical errors, "um's" and "eh's", unnecessary pauses, etc. Thanks to this method, the number of all these flows consistently goes down!

I'm sure a very sophisticated software for this exists, but I feel no need to invest in it.

I'm not sure it was the answer you wanted - but good luck in your studies, anyway!
Collapse

hfp
hfp
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Suzanne and Alexandra Mar 1, 2009

I appreciate your help, Suzanne and Alexandra. Lately I have been using Sound Recorder, which is the basic recording program that comes with any version of Windows I think. It works decently. A simple recorder might be a good idea. I'll look into it. Take care.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
AIMP player Mar 2, 2009

http://www.aimp.ru/index.php

It is free and has many tools.

Ilary (X)
Ilary (X)

Local time: 12:21
I used to record my voice with my cell phone's recorder... Mar 2, 2009

...then I bought a recorder, just because with a phone like mine (Nokia 7370) you can record max 5 minutes at a time. Sometimes, when I do interpreting practice and sight translations, I practice for more than 5 consecutive minutes. With a recorder, I can record myself practicing for more than 5 minutes. Everything is recorded in MP3 format, since it's a digital recorder.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
could do Mar 4, 2009

Hello hfp.

Did you know that M$ has a built-in 'Sound Recorder' ?
It's rather simple and has no special features but it's free. really small and quite handy.
Also check your soundcard CD for some software you may need too

Cheers.

Francesca Roiatti
Francesca Roiatti
Italy
Local time: 12:21
German to Italian
+ ...
audiograbber Mar 16, 2009

hi hfp,

I've been using this tiny freewar software over the years, it's called Audiograbber
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html

and once installed, go FILE> Line in sampling... and connect your headphones with mic.

I used to play speeches in mp3 on a music player or live sessions and start audiograbber to record my simultaneous.... See more
hi hfp,

I've been using this tiny freewar software over the years, it's called Audiograbber
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html

and once installed, go FILE> Line in sampling... and connect your headphones with mic.

I used to play speeches in mp3 on a music player or live sessions and start audiograbber to record my simultaneous.
efficient!!

best,
francesca
Collapse

hfp
hfp
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 17, 2009

Thanks, Sergei, Ilary, DZiW, and Frank. Your comments have been helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software to record yourself interpreting/reading/talking for studying purposes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »