Working part time as a freelancer
Thread poster: John-Paul Greco
John-Paul Greco
John-Paul Greco  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2021

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on this site. Years ago I was trying to start a business as a freelance Italian/English translator and I eventually stopped accepting work and went into another industry because I felt overwhelmed and stressed as a result of having to manage a business while doing translation jobs at the same time. I've been thinking lately about trying to get back into it part time though, and it's nice to see that my Proz profile still exists. I wasn't sure if... See more
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on this site. Years ago I was trying to start a business as a freelance Italian/English translator and I eventually stopped accepting work and went into another industry because I felt overwhelmed and stressed as a result of having to manage a business while doing translation jobs at the same time. I've been thinking lately about trying to get back into it part time though, and it's nice to see that my Proz profile still exists. I wasn't sure if it still would as it's been many years since I last logged on lol. But I would like to know if there is anyone out there who works as a freelancer focusing mainly on the translation jobs while having someone else handle the business side of things- a partner perhaps? Is it possible? Difficult to achieve? I'd be interested in getting people's thoughts on thisCollapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What do you mean by “business side”? Dec 3, 2021

If you mean accounts and billing, yes an accountant could handle all of that if you just send in your receipts etc. That’s commonplace.

If you mean marketing, well that’s the tough one for everyone. I’m not sure how you could outsource that though, other than a website maybe.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nena Perovic
Tina Vonhof (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@John-Paul Dec 3, 2021

When I started translating some 40 years ago it was part-time as a way of complementing my income. I was a single mother of 3 and had a full-time job. Of course, it was hard and stressful but I managed. A few years went by, I gained experience and one year before Portugal's adhesion to the then European Community I decided to go to Brussels. A friend of mine had started translating for the Commission and she needed help, so we teamed up and formed a translator’s cooperative with her husband (a... See more
When I started translating some 40 years ago it was part-time as a way of complementing my income. I was a single mother of 3 and had a full-time job. Of course, it was hard and stressful but I managed. A few years went by, I gained experience and one year before Portugal's adhesion to the then European Community I decided to go to Brussels. A friend of mine had started translating for the Commission and she needed help, so we teamed up and formed a translator’s cooperative with her husband (a lawyer). Translation work and administrative work was “brotherly” split. In the meanwhile, we both were selected as staff translators by the Commission. So, we had to leave the cooperative and our shares were bought by two colleagues. When in 2006 I retired from the EU I bought all the shares and decided to return to Lisbon and here I am. So, it’s possible, you just have to find the right partners (nowadays I work with my daughters). Hope this helps!Collapse

British Diana
Vanda Nissen

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:27
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
What do you mean by "business side"? Dec 3, 2021

If by "the business side of things" you mean things like accounting and taxes, many of us (although by no means everyone!) have an accountant for this.
I am pretty sure I could take care of this myself, but my accountant does it much faster AND he knows his way in the maze of tax rules, regulations and opportunities, so in addition to saving me time and frustration, he probably saves me money, too.

Or are there other business-related things you were thinking about?

Tina Vonhof (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The partner who handles the business side of things Dec 3, 2021

John-Paul Greco wrote:

But I would like to know if there is anyone out there who works as a freelancer focusing mainly on the translation jobs while having someone else handle the business side of things- a partner perhaps? Is it possible? Difficult to achieve? I'd be interested in getting people's thoughts on this

Hello John-Paul,

If I understand what you are asking, I think that partner you talk about has a name. They are called translation agencies.

At least this is my experience. They take care of finding and communicating with end clients, receiving, preparing and reviewing projects. I take care of translating them. Admin tasks (invoicing etc.) only take a tiny fraction of my working time. And repeat business means I don't have to dedicate much time to active marketing.

Didn't you work with translation agencies in your previous stint?

Welcome and good luck!

[Edited at 2021-12-03 15:55 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Marjolein Snippe
Rachel Waddington
Kristina SAT
Agneta Pallinder

Xiaodong Du
Xiaodong Du
Local time: 10:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't want to deal with client? Dec 3, 2021

Not sure what does "business side of things" mean specifically?
Do you mean you would like to focus on translation work only and all other things that require coming into contact with client like quoting price, negotating done by a partner?
If yes, such a partner is actually acting as an agent or a subcontractor.

Rachel Waddington
John-Paul Greco

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:27
French to English
. Dec 3, 2021

I'm not sure what you mean by "business side". If it's the billing and filing accounts, you can hire an accountant.
I have a simplified freelance status, and I hate doing the billing and accounts. My life partner works in accountancy, and he offered to deal with it for me. I realised that it's quicker to do it myself than explain it someone else. There were always little things that I hadn't bothered to write down, like the client who added a page after I'd done the estimate, and didn't a
... See more
I'm not sure what you mean by "business side". If it's the billing and filing accounts, you can hire an accountant.
I have a simplified freelance status, and I hate doing the billing and accounts. My life partner works in accountancy, and he offered to deal with it for me. I realised that it's quicker to do it myself than explain it someone else. There were always little things that I hadn't bothered to write down, like the client who added a page after I'd done the estimate, and didn't ask me to update the estimate, or the project where I asked for a higher rate than usual because I did it at the weekend. I also learned that it's easier to bill as I go, so often I'll do the bill before I've even started the translation. I've just checked the number of words and named my price and deadline, so I can just feed that same info from my (usually informal) estimate into a bill. Then I'll send the bill at the end of the month.
If you mean marketing, that's a different kettle of fish entirely. I didn't have to do very much at all, in that I already had loads of contacts when I started out.

I'm not sure how easy it is to do this part time. It depends what else you're doing. Clients generally need you to be available straight away, they often can't wait until your day off from your other job. You might find that deadlines are far more stringent than back in the day: I know that pre-internet, I would vaguely promise to hand something in by the end of the week, whereas now project managers will say they need it by 10.00 am pronto on Thursday. I have various other projects on the go, hobbies and volunteer work, but they are all things I fit in round my paid work.

[Edited at 2021-12-03 10:47 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Josephine Cassar
Florence Risser

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
What I think you mean Dec 3, 2021

Is that you want to find a hardcore translator who would hire you to cover overflow demand

Unless you have a very good relationship, expect them to gouge you on price. Also, unless you're usually immediately available and/or willing to work burst of nights overtime etc., don't expect much of it unless you offer ridiculously low prices. And be aware that most of this would be furtive and technically illegal, since just about everyone is under NDAs.

You might find some su
... See more
Is that you want to find a hardcore translator who would hire you to cover overflow demand

Unless you have a very good relationship, expect them to gouge you on price. Also, unless you're usually immediately available and/or willing to work burst of nights overtime etc., don't expect much of it unless you offer ridiculously low prices. And be aware that most of this would be furtive and technically illegal, since just about everyone is under NDAs.

You might find some success partnering with someone who specializes in the other direction of your language pair, but you'd have to be really good and VERY reliable if you want them to outsource work.

And even then... mostly, it'll be dodgy people. Because very few contractors are HEAVILY overbooked for long, since they just adjust rates up if that happens. The ones that stay overbooked and outsource instead are typically the equivalent of brazen builders who advertise as respectable licensed local professionals and then hire illegal immigrants or their junkie nephews to do the actual work.

Otherwise, they just become agencies. Which I guess you could say "handle the business side for you," but not really in the way you wanted... unless you're cheap and they have low standards, in which case, same thing as above.

[Edited at 2021-12-03 16:32 GMT]
Collapse

John-Paul Greco
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agents or Subcontractors Dec 3, 2021

Xiaodong Du wrote:

Do you mean you would like to focus on translation work only and all other things that require coming into contact with client like quoting price, negotating done by a partner?

Yes, this would be exactly what I mean. I find all else outside of the actual translation work unfavorable e.g. dealing directly with the customers, pricing, making invoices, collecting payments etc.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Minimising admin Dec 3, 2021

John-Paul Greco wrote:

Xiaodong Du wrote:

Yes, this would be exactly what I mean. I find all else outside of the actual translation work unfavorable e.g. dealing directly with the customers, pricing, making invoices, collecting payments etc.

If you can find a small number of reliable agency clients that will keep you busy then the business side of things can be reduced to a minimum (you'll still need to invoice but good agencies won't need chasing for payments).

This software might be worth a look, though I haven't tried it personally: https://www.to3000.com/

John-Paul Greco

John-Paul Greco
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did work with agencies Dec 3, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

John-Paul Greco wrote:

But I would like to know if there is anyone out there who works as a freelancer focusing mainly on the translation jobs while having someone else handle the business side of things- a partner perhaps? Is it possible? Difficult to achieve? I'd be interested in getting people's thoughts on this

Hello John-Paul,

If I understand what you are asking, I think that partner you talk about has a name. They are called translation agencies.

At least this is my experience. They take care of finding and communicating with end clients, receiving, preparing and reviewing projects. I take care of translating them. Admin tasks (invoicing etc.) only take a tiny fraction of my working time. And repeat business means I don't have to dedicate much time to active marketing.

Welcome and good luck!

I did work with agencies but still found myself having to deal with all that other stuff e.g. giving quotations, sending out invoices and even dealing with difficult customers (those being agencies) in certain situations.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
my 5¢* Dec 3, 2021

Apparently you need a part-time on-demand assistant, ready and willing to drop anything at any moment’s notice—because often clients need a swift reply—to provide quotations, negotiating fees and deadlines and all that other stuff that being a freelance translator usually entails.

In other words, you’re looking for the Holy Grail of freelance translating. But I’m also curious to know how much you w
... See more
Apparently you need a part-time on-demand assistant, ready and willing to drop anything at any moment’s notice—because often clients need a swift reply—to provide quotations, negotiating fees and deadlines and all that other stuff that being a freelance translator usually entails.

In other words, you’re looking for the Holy Grail of freelance translating. But I’m also curious to know how much you would pay somebody to only deal with the negative aspects of your job.

graal

*(to keep up with inflation)
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Adieu
Christopher Schröder
Vera Schoen
Kay Denney

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
"The business side of things" as you mentioned Dec 3, 2021

John-Paul Greco wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

John-Paul Greco wrote:

Hello John-Paul,

Welcome and good luck!

I did work with agencies but still found myself having to deal with all that other stuff e.g. giving quotations, sending out invoices and even dealing with difficult customers (those being agencies) in certain situations.

The things to do other than translating itself are just part of being a freelance translator. If you don't want to do any of the tasks mentioned so far, you may hire an assistant to work full time with you, but he or she could take away about half of your income from translating as their salary.

I remember a translator once said that he didn't even bother to turn on/off his computer at work, and someone in his office had to do that for him. He was an in-house translator, though.

[Edited at 2021-12-03 22:03 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
One caveat Dec 4, 2021

How could your excellent indentured serf accurately evaluate your availability and capabilities, especially if you want to be part time?

Unless you both decide to quote very high and only for very long and gentle delivery windows on super-easy jobs, in which case all y'all both gonna starve together.

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Kay Denney

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
admin Dec 4, 2021

John-Paul Greco wrote:

It sounds to me like you just don't want to work as a freelance translator (which is fair enough) because those tasks are part and parcel of our job. If you have very high-end, in-demand skills as a translator you may be able to justify hiring an assistant to help out with the admin or going into partnership, but at normal agency rates I can't see that working out financially. And you'd still have to deal with the admin of setting up a partnership agreement/paying your assistant, which would probably be more onerous than dealing with translation agencies in the first place.

For me, admin hassle has got less over the years as I have weeded out the clients who are a pain to deal with and focussed on the ones who are straightforward. And, of course, admin gets easier when you have been doing it for a long time and know what you are doing. Maybe what you need are some supportive translator friends who can give you moral support and advice when you are struggling with particular situations? Translation networks and associations can be helpful for that.

Adieu
Grace Anderson
Christopher Schröder
Jean Dimitriadis
Agneta Pallinder
Vanda Nissen

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working part time as a freelancer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »