Looking for the right software
Автор темы: Viriato (X)
Viriato (X)
Viriato (X)
Local time: 12:27
Jun 16, 2012

Good morning/afternoon everyone,

I am new in this “show” so I believe that the best is to introduce myself:

I am Tino for all living creatures, I am pretty old, and due to a stroke while driving I cannot work going to work places anymore, so I am trying to start doing it from home. It is what the British Department of Work and Pensions calls “Remote Employment” but some online agencies confuse this term with “Employment Remote” and keep sending me nearly to
... See more
Good morning/afternoon everyone,

I am new in this “show” so I believe that the best is to introduce myself:

I am Tino for all living creatures, I am pretty old, and due to a stroke while driving I cannot work going to work places anymore, so I am trying to start doing it from home. It is what the British Department of Work and Pensions calls “Remote Employment” but some online agencies confuse this term with “Employment Remote” and keep sending me nearly to top of the Everest to perform an assignment. I have my own hand made “advertising” site and I am booked in several online recruitment Agencies and fingers crossed.

I live in the UK for the last 25 years but I was born in Spain and I was born speaking Spanish, French and Portuguese. My father was French, my mother was Portuguese, my sister is Italian and I am Spanish. Don’t you ask me, I have not a clue about what my father was doing.

For 10 years, while in London, I was Purchasing Manager for a group of silver service 4 stars Michelin French restaurants and I was talking in French all day but when I was purchasing and dealing with British and foreign customers.

Well… Enough lies…

And now I would appreciate very much indeed your advice as already very experience translators.

I would like to know about a translation software that is pretty good no also in spelling but also in grammar and using the right equivalent expression in the target language. Yes… And translating the right synonymous because I’ve seen a lot of funny translations. In Spanish “To cast off setting sails” is “Desamarrar izando las velas”, but Ah!!!! “Velas” in Spanish has two meanings: Sails and candles. So translating from Spanish to English a particular software did translate as “Did cast off setting the candles”… I don’t know, it is just an opinion, but a sail boat is not going to be too far trying to navigate alighting candles on the deck, to be honest…

Thanking you in advance for your kindness,

Tino.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Испания
Local time: 13:27
испанский => английский
+ ...
There ain't no such animile Jun 16, 2012

Viriato wrote:

I would like to know about a translation software that is pretty good no also in spelling but also in grammar and using the right equivalent expression in the target language. Yes… And translating the right synonymous because I’ve seen a lot of funny translations. In Spanish “To cast off setting sails” is “Desamarrar izando las velas”, but Ah!!!! “Velas” in Spanish has two meanings: Sails and candles. So translating from Spanish to English a particular software did translate as “Did cast off setting the candles”… I don’t know, it is just an opinion, but a sail boat is not going to be too far trying to navigate alighting candles on the deck, to be honest…

Thanking you in advance for your kindness,

Tino.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but AFAIK I'm afraid that machine translation hasn't quite reached that level of sophistication yet - and thank goodness say I !

Happy hunting

[Edited at 2012-06-16 17:33 GMT]

Viriato (X)
Viriato (X)
Автор темы
Nobody is perfect; I am Nobody; so I am perfect... Jun 16, 2012

Ta neilmac

Was just a nice try... I don't believe in miracles but sometimes... (I mean I am getting desperated... and lazy... Must be the age).

But I suppose that must be better pieces of software than others and is not the same to have to trasnlate the 100% of the text than just correcting and refining it; it takes a lot less time.

So far -while in London- I was using the old "L&H Simply Translating" and is not that bad, but does the kind of thing that I s
... See more
Ta neilmac

Was just a nice try... I don't believe in miracles but sometimes... (I mean I am getting desperated... and lazy... Must be the age).

But I suppose that must be better pieces of software than others and is not the same to have to trasnlate the 100% of the text than just correcting and refining it; it takes a lot less time.

So far -while in London- I was using the old "L&H Simply Translating" and is not that bad, but does the kind of thing that I said while choosing the synonyms, thought when you are fluent in the target language it is not a big issue, but takes time and time is money, specially whe you are in a very tight deadline. Imge now having to translate from one language to another one when both are not your native language. Unfortunately this happens to often.

Anyway, Thank you for taking the time to answer my S.O.S.

All the best.

Tino
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 07:27
Член ProZ.com c 2008
французский => английский
+ ...
"Correcting and refining" Jun 16, 2012

Viriato wrote:

Tino

With the current state of software, it is generally faster to translate 100% of the text than "correcting and refining" a machine translated text.

Have a look around the articles on this site, under the "Education" tab, and see if you could turn your language ability into an income.

But you would be well advised to only translate into your native language.

Viriato (X)
Viriato (X)
Автор темы
Easy to correct directly than the machine outcomne Jun 16, 2012

Ta John

So, I've been since I was 5 years old to 17 years old in a boarding French college speaking French all day all those years, at home speaking French with my father (He was from Bordeaux) and Portuguese with my mother (she was from Coimbra), I have been the first 12 years in the UK speaking and writing in French the 80% of the day and all the few interpreter and translator jobs that I did manage to get so far in Hastings to top up my State Benefits are English to French/Frenc
... See more
Ta John

So, I've been since I was 5 years old to 17 years old in a boarding French college speaking French all day all those years, at home speaking French with my father (He was from Bordeaux) and Portuguese with my mother (she was from Coimbra), I have been the first 12 years in the UK speaking and writing in French the 80% of the day and all the few interpreter and translator jobs that I did manage to get so far in Hastings to top up my State Benefits are English to French/French to English and an expericed translator advise me to stick to my native language, the Spanish...

Sorry, I do apologize for wasting the time of the Forum's members, I am trying to get into the wrong job. Time to start planning again. Back to IT... I did start in IT in 1973, so...

Thank you for your advise, brother.

Kind regards.

Tino

(By the way: I've been in Canada with my boat a couple of times or so, but was with the Celt community and we were speaking Gaelic. There are more Celt festivals in Canada than in all the Celt countries together)
Collapse

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 07:27
английский => голландский
+ ...
Is this serious Jun 17, 2012

or just a (failed) effort to be funny?

So you speak Gaelic, too? People should be lining up to have you work for them. And because you are obviously aware of the Internet, you wouldn't even have to leave your bed, or wherever you happen to be hiding.

[Edited at 2012-06-17 18:28 GMT]

Viriato (X)
Viriato (X)
Автор темы
Re: Is this serious Jun 17, 2012

Ta Benno.

I am only fluent in the family languages (Spanish, French and Portugese) so I am actually doing interpretations for an Agency in Rochdale, Lancashire, in those languages, but I can speak no too bad Italian and I can survive in German and Russian.

It is not a big issue when you are born in a multi nationality family. My Father was French (from Bordaux), my mother was Portuguese (from Coimbra) and my sister is Italian (from Messina).

I am doing only
... See more
Ta Benno.

I am only fluent in the family languages (Spanish, French and Portugese) so I am actually doing interpretations for an Agency in Rochdale, Lancashire, in those languages, but I can speak no too bad Italian and I can survive in German and Russian.

It is not a big issue when you are born in a multi nationality family. My Father was French (from Bordaux), my mother was Portuguese (from Coimbra) and my sister is Italian (from Messina).

I am doing only commercial translations in all the 7 languages but I can't acept all the jobs since there are subjects that I have not a clue about them in Italian, German and/or Russian.

After a stroke while driving 5 years ago, I can not leave my place so I am working from home using a 3 way conversation facility in my telephone line for interpretations. However the Agency tend to send me to local business and I do manage to go by taxi and using a stick.

The Gaelic I had not choice because until the very day of the accident I was living in my sailing boat in the Hebrides in a particular area where they do not speak English at all, but only Gaelic, so I went to the University of Glasgow to learn it.

And, Of course! I do speak Galician, the language of Galicia (the Spanish Gaicia...) where I come from. So I am Celt.

The main barriers are that I can not go to work places, I am not qualified, I am pretty old and I am a foreigner. While in London I was interpreting for the Metropolitan Police until the law did change and since then the interpreters must be qualified, si they put me out of business. The same problem as teacher of Commercial French and Spanish to Banks and Business in London until the law did change too.

I hope that this "lies" answer your comment.

Slàinte!

Tino
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for the right software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »