Proofreading a large volume book.....any idea about rates ?royalties?
Thread poster: Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2010

Hello ,
I would like your help regrading a book(in pedagogy/teaching) that has been translated from a standard language x into a local language (in a developping country).

Volume ...about 500 pages.

Delivery : 2 wks

What would be your suggestions please .What is the best price I should be placing for them ?

Many thanks

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
from.. Feb 25, 2010

0,03 - 0,05 Eur per word because it is large project

[Edited at 2010-02-25 10:38 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hourly rate Feb 25, 2010

I have no idea on royalties and the like, but regarding the rate, I would charge my hourly rate.

At least for me, the deadline is too tight, so I would have to work over the weekend. My weekend hourly rate is at least 30% higher than my regular rate.

Have you had a chance to take a look at the translation? Do not accept the job if you have not seen it, the translation might not be good. In that case, I woudn't accept the proofreading job.
... See more
I have no idea on royalties and the like, but regarding the rate, I would charge my hourly rate.

At least for me, the deadline is too tight, so I would have to work over the weekend. My weekend hourly rate is at least 30% higher than my regular rate.

Have you had a chance to take a look at the translation? Do not accept the job if you have not seen it, the translation might not be good. In that case, I woudn't accept the proofreading job. In my experience, I do both translation and proofreading, the quality of the translations I am receiving lately has dropped considerably. Probably, one of the reasons being that translators are reducing their rates and have to work double to make ends meet, so they cannot pay as much attention to each job as they used to. Before, I used to charge per word even when it was a proofreading job, but given the quality issues I am seeing lately, I have decided to charge an hourly rate.

My regular hourly rate (proofreading) is about 55/60 €/hour
Collapse

Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 25, 2010

Hi Penelope!

Many thanks for the input.Noted.

The client had sent me the doc in advance.I took a look at it and it looks fine.
This book is about teaching a dialect (x) for English speaking students in country(x).It is a didactic document .Lots of grammar texts,syntax ,terminology,transliteration..ect.It is a laborious doc.

I found out that Copy editing was already done.So , I will be only checking and proofreading (spelling/grammar/punctuation) using
... See more
Hi Penelope!

Many thanks for the input.Noted.

The client had sent me the doc in advance.I took a look at it and it looks fine.
This book is about teaching a dialect (x) for English speaking students in country(x).It is a didactic document .Lots of grammar texts,syntax ,terminology,transliteration..ect.It is a laborious doc.

I found out that Copy editing was already done.So , I will be only checking and proofreading (spelling/grammar/punctuation) using tracks.

Client insists on project based quote.I still think the hourly rate is sound, but am trying to find out how to quote this doc.

As per the deadline , I was thinking of extending it a bit .It sounds tight to me as well.

We see.

Thanks
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
rates Feb 25, 2010

I think Karletto's estimate would be okay (I'd go with 3.5 euros, due to the complex nature of the text), if you can't give an hourly quote. But it does sound like parts of the book will be quite laborious. You might give yourself a test: proofread a couple of random parts, including some difficult and some not-so-difficult, and time yourself. See what it comes out to and charge accordingly.

Estimating how long something is going to take is VERY difficult (for me, anyway)!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading a large volume book.....any idea about rates ?royalties?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »