Konudaki sayfalar:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Off topic: What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?
Konuyu gönderen: Paul Dixon
canaria
canaria
Birleşik Krallık
Local time: 03:18
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Thanks May 5, 2009

Óscar Delgado Gosálvez wrote:

I was proofreading film subtitles.
The original was a father concerned about his daughter hitchhiking in California.

- You will be beaten to an unrecognizable pulp
by some unknown surfer.

Translation:
Te golpearán con un pulpo desconocido
hasta dejarlo irreconocible.

I was working late at night. Everybody else in the house slept. I can't remember where the surfer ended up in the translation, but I can remember that my mouth dropped wide open and then I had to laugh so hard that I woke my wife up.

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
Amerika Birleşik Devletleri
Local time: 22:18
Fransızca > İngilizce
Unknown octopi May 5, 2009

Among fans of the Detroit Red Wings (hockey team), it's a custom to throw octopi onto the ice when the team wins an important game. I have no idea why they do it, but it's quite possible for a Red Wings fan to hit a player from the other team "con un pulpo desconocido"!

Kathryn

bowmanrich (X)
bowmanrich (X)
Local time: 04:18
İngilizce > Fransızca
+ ...
Drag and drop Jun 3, 2009

Drag and drop...translated to

Draguer et laisser tomber

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Almanya
İngilizce > Arnavutça
+ ...
Miss translation of movies Jun 3, 2009

I recall a situation of watching a movie on TV.

In one moment there was a sentence like this "Thanks for your hospitality".
And in Albanian it was translated as "Faleminderit për spitalin tuaj" that means "Thanks for your hospital".

abehrens
abehrens
İngilizce
Battle caps Jun 3, 2009

When my children were young, their grandparents sent them a "save the earth" board game with multi-lingual instructions. If your piece landed on a square with litter (discarded cigarettes butts, old newspapers, bottle caps), you gained points by picking it up and carrying it to another square for recycling. Whoever had translated the instructions into English wrote "battle caps" instead "bottle caps".

And best of all, the French translator had apparently worked from the English rath
... See more
When my children were young, their grandparents sent them a "save the earth" board game with multi-lingual instructions. If your piece landed on a square with litter (discarded cigarettes butts, old newspapers, bottle caps), you gained points by picking it up and carrying it to another square for recycling. Whoever had translated the instructions into English wrote "battle caps" instead "bottle caps".

And best of all, the French translator had apparently worked from the English rather than the original German, so those instructions referred to "mégots, journaux, casques militaires...".
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
A lecturer-friend of mine Jun 3, 2009

marks dissertations by linguistics students.

His favourite was the one about Jamaican patios.

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Hollanda
İngilizce > Hollandaca
+ ...
In a scanner manual Jun 8, 2009

When replacing the feed roller:
"At this time, ensure that the notched end mates with the shaft in the scanner."

If I do this, will I get little scanners?

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
Birleşik Krallık
Üye (2003)
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
Popular with female drivers Jun 9, 2009

On some cars, one safety feature is that the driving seat vibrates when you veer out of the lane you are driving in.

One translator called this feature: under-seat vibrators.

If I hadn't corrected it, maybe that car would have sold particularly well among women.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
Rusça > İngilizce
+ ...
A military one Jun 9, 2009

This happened years ago, when I was checking the work of a junior enlisted soldier. He had just finished the Bulgarian course at the Defense Language Institute and was assigned to us as a translator.

He was given a short magazine article on the Soviet BM-21 multiple rocket launcher to translate. I glanced at his translation, and one sentence jumped right out at me. He said that the it was "rubber-band powered." What the original really said was that it had rubber tires.
<
... See more
This happened years ago, when I was checking the work of a junior enlisted soldier. He had just finished the Bulgarian course at the Defense Language Institute and was assigned to us as a translator.

He was given a short magazine article on the Soviet BM-21 multiple rocket launcher to translate. I glanced at his translation, and one sentence jumped right out at me. He said that the it was "rubber-band powered." What the original really said was that it had rubber tires.

I asked him what made him conclude that the BM-21 was a rubber-band powered rocket launcher . . . and he really couldn't say.
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Almanya
Almanca > İngilizce
+ ...
Jamaican patios Jun 9, 2009

OMG!!!! Took me a few seconds, dying of laughter here....

Anne-Marie Grant wrote:

marks dissertations by linguistics students.

His favourite was the one about Jamaican patios.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Almanya
Almanca > İngilizce
+ ...
Breathing the ghost of Goethe Jun 9, 2009

Very early on in my career, I proofread a brochure for a university which will remain nameless. But needless to say, Goethe played a big role there. I didn't actually have the German text, but I stumbled across:

"In (unnamed city) we breathe the ghost of Goethe".

Of course it's from the German "In xxxx atmen wir den Geist Goethes", meaning xxxx is characterized by the spirit of Goethe, but literally: In xxx we breathe the ghost of Goethe. In fact I didn't even know th
... See more
Very early on in my career, I proofread a brochure for a university which will remain nameless. But needless to say, Goethe played a big role there. I didn't actually have the German text, but I stumbled across:

"In (unnamed city) we breathe the ghost of Goethe".

Of course it's from the German "In xxxx atmen wir den Geist Goethes", meaning xxxx is characterized by the spirit of Goethe, but literally: In xxx we breathe the ghost of Goethe. In fact I didn't even know the meaning of the actual German phrase, so I wondered how it would be to breathe the ghost of Goethe. I figured it smelled like old farts, and that's become the inadvertent metaphor for farting in our house: "Hey, is that the ghost of Goethe I detect?"

[Edited at 2009-06-09 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosna - Hersek
Üye (2009)
İngilizce > Hırvatça
+ ...
Literal translation and newbies Jun 9, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:

Of course it's from the German "In xxxx atmen wir den Geist Goethes", meaning xxxx is characterized by the spirit of Goethe, but literally: In xxx we breath the ghost of Goethe.

A typical mistake by a newbie or semi-translator- literal translation. I sometimes review subtitles on TV shows, movies ( but mostly shows), and literal translations or unskillful solutions for incompatible linguistic structures are an instant signal it's been done by a complete newbie.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Üye (2002)
İngilizce > İspanyolca
+ ...
She is pregnant, and that's my fault! Jun 9, 2009

That happened to one of my English teachers. He, a real English gentleman, had met a young lady in a party in Venezuela. Apparenty he had said something that disturbed her and wanted to apologize to her. Her parents were also at the same party, and my teacher decided to talk with them:
- Su hija está embarazada, y es por mi culpa- he said to the astonished parents. (Your daugther is pregnant, and that's my fault). In fact, he wanted to say: "She is embarrased".

Yeah, this i
... See more
That happened to one of my English teachers. He, a real English gentleman, had met a young lady in a party in Venezuela. Apparenty he had said something that disturbed her and wanted to apologize to her. Her parents were also at the same party, and my teacher decided to talk with them:
- Su hija está embarazada, y es por mi culpa- he said to the astonished parents. (Your daugther is pregnant, and that's my fault). In fact, he wanted to say: "She is embarrased".

Yeah, this is not a mistake found when proofreading, but I really like it.
Collapse

Julia Boerlin
Julia Boerlin  Identity Verified
İsviçre
Almanca > Yunanca
+ ...
Instructions... Jun 10, 2009

My favorite - I read it on a camping chair:

English: Don't stand on the chair.

Greek: Μην καθίσετε στην καρέκλα.

(Which means: Don't sit on the chair...)

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japonya
Local time: 11:18
Japonca > İngilizce
Muddled coeds Jun 10, 2009

I always enjoy it when codes get scrambled into coeds. I must confess to being unclear exactly what a 'coed' actually is, but from casual reading, I've come to the conclusion it means 'innocent yet slutty young female', so it always piques the interest slightly when one turns up unexpectedly in an otherwise boring IT text.

As for the rubber-band propelled missile gaffe, we had a saying for times like that when I was serving my own august Queen. "Sir, I believe you've mistaken me for
... See more
I always enjoy it when codes get scrambled into coeds. I must confess to being unclear exactly what a 'coed' actually is, but from casual reading, I've come to the conclusion it means 'innocent yet slutty young female', so it always piques the interest slightly when one turns up unexpectedly in an otherwise boring IT text.

As for the rubber-band propelled missile gaffe, we had a saying for times like that when I was serving my own august Queen. "Sir, I believe you've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit".
Collapse

Konudaki sayfalar:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »