Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Off topic: What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Bottomneck Nov 20, 2008

My colleague in the ofiice suggested that we read each other's translations of economic research to check for any typos etc and when reading her translation I felt that the word 'bottomneck' looked strange. It took me a while to realize that it should have been 'bottleneck' instead.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
the missing letter in the word "public" Nov 20, 2008

which gave "in the pubic interest".....
Need I say more?

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 21:42
English to German
One of my own ... Nov 20, 2008

... that was thankfully caught in time:

I was translating a list of items and characters in a videogame. In the middle of a list of characters, the term "hatchback" appeared:

granny
cop
business man
hatchback
jock
male teenager
female teenager

A "hatchback", of course, is a type of car. The list of cars came at a later point in the file and I was still so focused on characters that I somehow I misread the term as "hunchba
... See more

I was translating a list of items and characters in a videogame. In the middle of a list of characters, the term "hatchback" appeared:

granny
cop
business man
hatchback
jock
male teenager
female teenager

A "hatchback", of course, is a type of car. The list of cars came at a later point in the file and I was still so focused on characters that I somehow I misread the term as "hunchback" and translated it into German accordingly ...
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
One of my own in Latin Nov 20, 2008

(Going back about 65 years)
As a schoolboy, I was asked to translate "sheep lying in the fields" into Latin.
I came up with "oves mendaces in agros", which means "sheep telling lies
in the fields".

Ulgen Unaldi
Ulgen Unaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Here is another one Nov 20, 2008

I was proofreading a medical article and read something like 'patients with fever experience this' in Turkish, which at that moment sounded correct without giving it a second thought. Then I looked at the original document and saw that it actually said 'fewer patients experience this'

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A bilingual secretary... Nov 20, 2008

She was not soooo bilingual, but amazingly fast in finding any word in the EN-PT & PT-EN Michaelis dictionary of the 1960s, the most misleading such publication ever. It listed translations from the least to the most commonly used meaning, when it got as far as the most common meaning. AFAIK the current edition of the Michaelis is not that bad.

The company we worked for, the subsidiary of an American group in Brazil, manufactured among many other things, slurry pumps, which w
... See more
She was not soooo bilingual, but amazingly fast in finding any word in the EN-PT & PT-EN Michaelis dictionary of the 1960s, the most misleading such publication ever. It listed translations from the least to the most commonly used meaning, when it got as far as the most common meaning. AFAIK the current edition of the Michaelis is not that bad.

The company we worked for, the subsidiary of an American group in Brazil, manufactured among many other things, slurry pumps, which were named bombas de lama in Portuguese. While translating a technical report into English, she stumbled on those bombas de lama, and translated them literally into mud bombs (which would also be translated as bombas de lama in Portuguese).

The fact that both pump and bomb are translated into Portuguese as bomba often causes trouble. Apparently one Brazilian was arrested by airport security in the USA because he explained in his flawed English that he had a "gasoline bomb" (bomba de gasolina) in his luggage. Actually it was a fuel pump for his motorcycle.
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:42
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
The ad was right! Nov 20, 2008

I once saw a college newspaper ad calling for proofreaders. Right below was an advetisement for "Buttucks Wilshire" - The store is called Bullucks Wilshire, but apparently was a pain in the .... In any case, the ad was correct.

Stephen Rifkind

Óscar Delgado Gosálvez
Óscar Delgado Gosálvez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
UFO (Unidentified Flying Octopus) Nov 20, 2008

I was proofreading film subtitles.
The original was a father concerned about his daughter hitchhiking in California.

- You will be beaten to an unrecognizable pulp
by some unknown surfer.

Translation:
Te golpearán con un pulpo desconocido
hasta dejarlo irreconocible.

I was working late at night. Everybody else in the house slept. I can't remember where the surfer ended up in the translation, but I can remember that my mouth dropped
... See more
The original was a father concerned about his daughter hitchhiking in California.

by some unknown surfer.

Translation:

I was working late at night. Everybody else in the house slept. I can't remember where the surfer ended up in the translation, but I can remember that my mouth dropped wide open and then I had to laugh so hard that I woke my wife up.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hatchback Nov 20, 2008

Johannes Irmer wrote:

granny
cop
business man
hatchback
jock
male teenager
female teenager

A "hatchback", of course, is a type of car. The list of cars came at a later point in the file and I was still so focused on characters that I somehow I misread the term as "hunchback" and translated it into German accordingly ...

Oh dear, I would probably have made the same mistake.
Gerard

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Nov 21, 2008

Óscar Delgado Gosálvez wrote:

by some unknown surfer.

Translation:

I was working late at night. Everybody else in the house slept. I can't remember where the surfer ended up in the translation, but I can remember that my mouth dropped wide open and then I had to laugh so hard that I woke my wife up.

I'm not suprised that your laughter woke up you wife. I very nearly spewed coffee all over the screen when I read this just now, and I didn't even experience ir firsthand!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited at 2008-11-21 00:29 GMT]

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wonder... Nov 21, 2008

ariffo wrote:

by some unknown surfer.

Translation:

I'm not suprised that your laughter woke up you wife. I very nearly spewed coffee all over the screen when I read this just now, and I didn't even experience ir firsthand!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If being beaten with a "pulpo conocido" (a known octopus, for non-Spanish speakers) would be anymore enjoyable.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mas vale pulpo conocido que pulpo que conocer, digo.... Nov 21, 2008

Juliana Starkman wrote:

ariffo wrote:

by some unknown surfer.

Translation:

If being beaten with a "pulpo conocido" (a known octopus, for non-Spanish speakers) would be anymore enjoyable.

Andy

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
One of my own from long ago Nov 21, 2008

In my first job as a bilingual secretary in a merchant bank long years ago, I caused great mirth by typing "revolting letter of credit" instead of "revolving letter of credit". I still remember my shame!
Jenny

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
Delighted to share a similar past with Jack! Nov 21, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

(Going back about 65 years)
As a schoolboy, I was asked to translate "sheep lying in the fields" into Latin.
I came up with "oves mendaces in agros", which means "sheep telling lies
in the fields".

For my mock Latin O level I translated “the soldiers took off their sandals to climb barefoot up the cliff” to “the soldiers climbed naked up the cliff”!

They must have been having fits in the staff room!

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
The trouble with birds... Nov 21, 2008

A few months ago, an agency (that I regularly work for) asked me to translate some menus for a high-end Parisian restaurant. Realising that I was rather busy and fairly confident of their English skills, they thought they would translate the "easy" bits to save me time!!

Well, the restaurant had decided to give each of its set menus the name of a bird, so there were things like "The Sparrow Menu", "The Eagle Menu", and so on. That's all very well, until the agency had a stab at tran
... See more
A few months ago, an agency (that I regularly work for) asked me to translate some menus for a high-end Parisian restaurant. Realising that I was rather busy and fairly confident of their English skills, they thought they would translate the "easy" bits to save me time!!

Well, the restaurant had decided to give each of its set menus the name of a bird, so there were things like "The Sparrow Menu", "The Eagle Menu", and so on. That's all very well, until the agency had a stab at translating the mésange menu. A mésange is a (blue)tit… you can probably see where this is going! As you can imagine, I creased up when I saw "The Tits Menu". I dare say such a menu exists if you go to certain seedy tourist resorts, but not some swanky Parisian restaurant!

Simon
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »