Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:31
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2009

This thread is the follow-up of It is now possible to "flag" KudoZ answerers. The aim of the present thread is to select one of the solutions proposed to cure the problem.

I would like to ask those who wish to contribute to this thread to:

1.) First read the other thread, where the problems of flagging answerers is
... See more
This thread is the follow-up of It is now possible to "flag" KudoZ answerers. The aim of the present thread is to select one of the solutions proposed to cure the problem.

I would like to ask those who wish to contribute to this thread to:

1.) First read the other thread, where the problems of flagging answerers is discussed in detail. If you have any other insight, please share it in the other thread.

2.) Three solutions have been proposed for the problem -- see below. A fourth option -- leave KudoZ flagging as it is -- is also added, in order to reduce the possible bias of the answers. Please select one that is the best in your opinion, tell us what other solutions are acceptable for you, and which ones are not.

3.) Optionally, consider adding the number of your KudoZ points. A group of users with a couple of hundreds of thousands of KudoZ points could be considered as a group of experts in the KudoZ field, whose opinion is based on first-hand experience.

The problem of flagging KudoZ answerers was recapped concisely by Aniello here:

- it does not respect workplace privacy
- it is prone to abuse (e.g. hostile flagging)
- it reminds of cyber-stalking
- customers could register with ProZ.com and flag translators
- translators do not want to be automatically tracked by someone else without knowing the "tracker"
- can generate enormous quantities of email traffic

The proposed solutions are:
1.) Scrap it from public use
2.) Introduce an opt-in scheme -- i.e., only those can be flagged who expressly allow it this feature. A case-by-case decision should be made possible
3.) Introduce an opt-out scheme -- i.e., by default, everyone can be flagged. Those who do not want to be flagged can opt out.
4.) Do not change the current scheme -- i.e., flagging is allowed for everyone, without the consent of the person who is flagged. The flagged person does not know by whom his KudoZ activity is traced.

Attila
Collapse

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
#2 Mar 27, 2009

First choice: #2
Also acceptable: #1, #3
Not acceptable: #4

(Number of Pro-level KudoZ points: 3742)

Attila

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
#1 Mar 27, 2009

First choice: #1
Also acceptable: #2
Not acceptable: #3 and #4

(Pro-level points: 3872)

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2009-03-27 08:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-27 08:32 GMT]

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No implementation Mar 27, 2009

Not acceptable: #3 and 4

(Pro-level points: 1244)

Marie-Christine

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Opting IN - # 2 Mar 27, 2009

Hi Attila,

personally, I think that any option ought to be structured as an opt in option.

There are many features and options I am not interested in or don't need to have, but we are all so different, have different needs according to our background culture, field we work in, working methodology etc., so I understand perfectly the concept of variety.

What I cannot agree with is that one has to ask for an opt-out option. I do not wish to be treated
... See more
Hi Attila,

personally, I think that any option ought to be structured as an opt in option.

There are many features and options I am not interested in or don't need to have, but we are all so different, have different needs according to our background culture, field we work in, working methodology etc., so I understand perfectly the concept of variety.

What I cannot agree with is that one has to ask for an opt-out option. I do not wish to be treated as a standard I do not belong to. I'd like to join (opt in) something according to my standards.

1.) Scrap it from public use

I understand perfectly what you mean. I am against any "scrapping", for the reasons mentioned above, i.e. some colleagues might wish to opt in, so be it. I add this though, just to be 100% clear: the opting out has to cover the site at all levels. And I mean it, "architecturally" included All necessary info are displayed in my KudoZ history, no need to have the Inquisition breathing on my neck. There is no NDA coverage, so no way. No way I give my consent.

I think that a case-by-case in the opting-in procedure is not feasible (too much programming?) and I don't see the point: either I am favorable or I am not.

For the time being, I won't answer any KudoZ.

Giuliana

Addendum: good faith is presumed.
The issue has nothing to do with it though. Please no speculations

[Edited at 2009-03-27 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
#1 Mar 27, 2009

(Pro-level points: 4020)
Siegfried

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
NO implementation - only #1 is acceptable Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for following up, Attila!

Also acceptable: none
Not acceptable: #2, #3, #4

#2 sounds good in theory, but is probably difficult to implement (waste of resources?).

(PRO-level points: 7446)

Best, A.S.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Right on Giuliana! Mar 27, 2009

I will not be answering any KudoZ questions either. My privacy comes above everything else and I joined this meeting place for my personal reasons and not to be pushed into something I do not want or need.

1 is therefore my choice.

Véronique Le Ny
Véronique Le Ny  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
flagging en français, ça donne quoi Mar 27, 2009

Désolée d'intervenir en français.
J'ai tout compris à ton message sauf le sens donné à FLAG.
Quelqu'un peut me le traduire en français ? Merci.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Choice Mar 27, 2009

Only first choice (#1) - scrap from public use.
choices # 2,3 and 4 not acceptable.
1000+ pro points.
M.A.T.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-27 09:21 GMT]

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please mark your preferences clearly Mar 27, 2009

Thank you for the replies, keep them coming.

I would like to ask everyone to mark explicitly their choices, even if it is pretty obvious from the comments, as evaluating the results could otherwise be perceived as speculating on others' opinion, which is not allowed by site rules.

Also, if you want to add additional comments, please consider posting them in the o
... See more
Thank you for the replies, keep them coming.

I would like to ask everyone to mark explicitly their choices, even if it is pretty obvious from the comments, as evaluating the results could otherwise be perceived as speculating on others' opinion, which is not allowed by site rules.

Also, if you want to add additional comments, please consider posting them in the other thread and adding a link to your post in this thread to keep it concise.

To Véronique:
"Flagging" askers (rather than answerers) is described here: http://www.proz.com/faq/5017#5017 . This FAQ item has not been translated into French yet, so I don't know what word would be the best. "Signaler (avec une marque)" gives only a very rough idea.

Kind regards,
Attila
Collapse

Silvia Nigretto
Silvia Nigretto  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
#1 Mar 27, 2009

Total points: 1761
PRO points: 1673

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No 1 Mar 27, 2009

No. 2 only in a crunch if the site refuses to scrap the flagging.
3 and 4 unacceptable.

(PRO-level points: 6119)

lisa23
lisa23
Germany
English to German
+ ...
#1 Mar 27, 2009

Acceptable: #2

Kudoz points: 1724

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
#4 Mar 27, 2009

First choice: #4 (part of the rules of Proz is to assume good faith; please let's not get paranoic! AND if you suspect someone is chasing or bullying you in answers or anywhere else, simply report it to Proz's staff!)

Also acceptable: #3.

Not acceptable: #1 and #2.

Just my opinions buddies!

Edited to add the points (why are we adding the points?): PRO-level points: 5171

[E
... See more
First choice: #4 (part of the rules of Proz is to assume good faith; please let's not get paranoic! AND if you suspect someone is chasing or bullying you in answers or anywhere else, simply report it to Proz's staff!)

Also acceptable: #3.

Not acceptable: #1 and #2.

Just my opinions buddies!

Edited to add the points (why are we adding the points?): PRO-level points: 5171

[Edited at 2009-03-27 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »