Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:34
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
#1 or #2 Mar 27, 2009

Acceptable: #1 and #2
Not acceptable: #3 and #4

KudoZ points: 4473 Pro points: 3031

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Maybe... Mar 27, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I am categorically opposed to the violation of (my) privacy!

Yeah, I keep hearing this.
All that is being added at this stage is easier access to the same information. Or have I missed something?

You will hear it again and again, Charlie. I do take care of my privacy (!) and data protection (!) and I kindly ask you to respect my concerns. If privacy is not (so) important to you, that's ok, I have no problem with that.

By the way, Henry asked us not to discuss the survey while it is underway.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
French to English
Genuine question Mar 27, 2009

italengger wrote:
You will hear it again and again, Charlie. I do take care of my privacy (!) and data protection (!) and I kindly ask you to respect my concerns.

It is not a question of respect, or lack of it. It is firstly a question of attempting to understand what those concerns actually are. Which is why I said twice in my post that I may have missed something. It was an open invitation to tell me what I may have missed.
If privacy is not (so) important to you, that's ok, I have no problem with that.

It is more a question of degree.
If Proz were proposing to make public information about me, or information I had provided, that had hitherto been private, then I too would be protesting. That would be what I would call a privacy issue.
But Proz is not.
It is proposing to provide easier access to information that we have all willingly provided entirely of our own free will, and which is already in the public domain(*). That is all. I do not see this as a data privacy issue. The data isn't private anyway, which we have all always known, and the source of that data is freely available to those who care to find out.
And that is why I am happy enough to see this feature; there is no fundamental change to anything, that I can see, although I repeat, I would be happy to listen (and respect and even accept and change my opinion) to any differing viewpoint that went into marginally more depth than the word "privacy" in isolation.

There may well be concerns with how this faster access route to publicly available data is used. But this in itself is not a privacy issue, to my mind.

(*) I'm not actually sure if use of the past tense if right here - perhaps that should be "...info that we will have all willingly provided.... and which will already be..." Implication being, with or without this feature, if you don't want people to read what you have to say, stop posting answers !

Lucica Abil (X)
Lucica Abil (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:34
Italian to Romanian
#1 Mar 27, 2009

First choice: #1
Also acceptable: #2
Not acceptable: #3 & #4

(Pro-level KudoZ: 2601)

Lucia

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
only 3 digits here, but lots of browniz Mar 27, 2009

First option # 1 - scrap

Acceptable # 2 - opt in

Not acceptable # 3 and 4

I only have 524 Pro points, but I participate regularly in the Kudoz by reading, tracking, voting and adding references.

Aniello's summary of the topic is perfect, and I'm glad you asked, Attila.

Lucía

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Charlie Mar 27, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

It is not a question of respect, or lack of it. It is firstly a question of attempting to understand what those concerns actually are. Which is why I said twice in my post that I may have missed something. It was an open invitation to tell me what I may have missed.

You can find your answers in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/130070-it_is_now_possible_to_flag_kudoz_answerers.html

I too would like to ask we respect the format Attila has suggested -and we seem to have accepted- and post our preferences in this thread, while posting discussions in the other one. (With cross-linking, if you like.)

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
French to English
Jump to other thread Mar 27, 2009

Özden Arıkan wrote:
You can find your answers in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/130070-it_is_now_possible_to_flag_kudoz_answerers.html

I too would like to ask we respect the format Attila has suggested -and we seem to have accepted- and post our preferences in this thread, while posting discussions in the other one. (With cross-linking, if you like.)

The quoting wasn't easy - but my response is there, as requested

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am already using the feature. Mar 27, 2009

#4 is my pick.
#3 or #2 is acceptable.
#1--not acceptable.

741 Kudoz

I don't see what the flap is about, but by all means, if others are bothered, make it possible for them to choose not to be tracked. Just don't give me a useful learning tool and then snatch it away, please.

[Edited at 2009-03-27 17:23 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Either clearly offered opt-in, or... Mar 27, 2009

italengger wrote:

First choice: #1
Also acceptable: none
Not acceptable: #2, #3, #4

Not enough Pro-level points to be worth mentioning them.

Laurent K.

Isabelle Berquin
Isabelle Berquin  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
#1 Mar 27, 2009

Preferred option: #1.
Also acceptable: #2.
Not acceptable: #3 and #4.

ProZ points: 398

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
SURVEY, and significance of Kudoz points Mar 27, 2009

Henry D wrote:

To gather additional data, I also posted a survey. It will appear on the home page to people who have KudoZ points. (I wanted to get feedback specifically from people who answer KudoZ questions.) I invite those who have posted here (and have KudoZ points) to complete it.

I'll post the results here in a few days.

I noticed the survey around 13.00 GMT+1, and filled it in around 18.00 GMT+1
Now I notice that it is no longer there. Is this because I have already responded? Was it made available to everyone I wonder?

Which leads me to the point Lucía Colombino brought up in passing, which is that although she has "relatively" few Kudoz points, she is a very active member of the community in this respect, and follows and comments on other people's answers assiduously, whilst not posting many answers herself. So she is the kind of user whose opinion on this subject should indeed have bearing.

Saskia Ponzi
Saskia Ponzi

Italian to German
+ ...
#1 Mar 27, 2009

Preferred option: #1
Also acceptable: #2
Not acceptable:#3 and #4

Kudoz: 737

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
#2 - others are free to opt in as long as I am left alone Mar 27, 2009

#1 - no I cant force my opinion on others
#3 opt-out has generally a bad record
#4 no

Whoever has not received (like me) the invitation to fill out the survey, it's still open afaik

http://www.proz.com/phpQ/fillsurvey?sid=221

Regards

[Edited at 2009-03-27 19:48 GMT]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
To answer a couple of questions... Mar 27, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

I noticed the survey around 13.00 GMT+1, and filled it in around 18.00 GMT+1
Now I notice that it is no longer there. Is this because I have already responded? Was it made available to everyone I wonder?

The same thing happened to me, so I assume that once you've responded, the survey invitation is removed from your home page. And no, it was not made available to everyone, per Henry. See below:

Vito Smolej wrote:

Henry said:To gather additional data, I also posted a survey. It will appear on the home page to people who have KudoZ points.

I was not contacted afaik.

Vito, try going to the home page; look at the top center of the page. There should be a white box (if I remember correctly) telling about the survey. Just click and answer.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No white box in my case Mar 27, 2009

JaneTranslates wrote:
Vito, try going to the home page; look at the top center of the page. There should be a white box (if I remember correctly) telling about the survey. Just click and answer.

Thank you Jane, but no, Jane, no white box

Otoh, after doing this, and editing that, I found the ref in some of the posts. By the way, would it not be more natural to send Emails? - we do get our (opted-in) trickle of mails from ProZ regularly. This "white box" is a rather unusual - kind of "a-violet-by-the-mossy-stone" - way of getting attention.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »