Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Agnès Levillayer
Agnès Levillayer
Italy
Local time: 08:34
Italian to French
+ ...
Preferred: #1 Mar 27, 2009

Preferred: #1
Acceptable: #2
Not acceptable: #3 & #4

Kudoz points: 20685 (PRO: 18640)

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:34
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for the feedback Mar 28, 2009

Thanks, everyone. In addition to the responses here, we have about 225 responses to the survey. I consider this sample representative.

I'll post early next week on the topic.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Editing possible? Mar 28, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Thanks, everyone. In addition to the responses here, we have about 225 responses to the survey. I consider this sample representative.

Hi Henry,

I did the survey, and now would like to reconsider, having thought about it further.

Can we edit our responses?

Cilian

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Not possible at the moment, technically Mar 28, 2009

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Henry D wrote:

Hi Henry,

I did the survey, and now would like to reconsider, having thought about it further.

Can we edit our responses?

Cilian

Thanks for completing the survey, Cilian.

Unfortunately, editing your survey responses is not something the system allows (technically) at this point. And of course, editing your survey is not going to affect the outcome appreciably, given the number of responses.

On the other, I can understand why you might want to clarify your positions and/or comments. In that case, I'd ask you to enter a support ticket.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Henry Mar 28, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Hi Henry,

As I understand, the survey has been closed. Do you consider reopening survey feedback thread? It would no longer influence the results of the survey.

And a request to others: please keep on providing your feedback here.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2009-03-28 09:42 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not representative Mar 28, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Hi Henry,

I am really surprised to learn that you have ONLY 225 responses to the survey.
It may sound harsh, I am sorry, but this sample is NOT representative at all.

Please correct me if I am wrong: there are 300.000 users (including members), is that right? In order to call a survey representative, you should have at least 3.000 responses (i.e. 1%, even that is not a lot).

Some people in the Italian forum did not even know that they can take a survey:
http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/131381-tracciare_chi_risponde_alle_domande.html

Even the opinions expressed in this thread are not representative. Participants in the thread are not opinion leaders, are they?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The survey, and this thread, have already provided sufficient information Mar 28, 2009

italengger wrote:
I am really surprised to learn that you have ONLY 225 responses to the survey.
It may sound harsh, I am sorry, but this sample is NOT representative at all.

OK, perhaps I should have avoided the use of the term "representative", as it can have scientific connotations. The survey was not meant to be scientific and in fact was not. It was meant only to obtain feedback in an efficient manner. For that, it has already served its purpose.

To put things in practical terms, the percentages did not move much after the number of respondents hit 100. In addition, as a result of the information gleaned, there and here, I developed some thoughts on what we will do next. (What I need to do now is have discussions with other staff members.) To continue running the survey would not be respectful of people's time.

We don't have a very convenient way of sharing the results of surveys yet. I'll try to take some screenshots later today and post them here.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I'll just post results Mar 28, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
As I understand, the survey has been closed. Do you consider reopening survey feedback thread?

No, Attila, I think we are past that point. I'll just post the results, and people can adjust their interpretation of them based on their opinions on the formulation of the survey.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for the feedback in this thread Mar 28, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
And a request to others: please keep on providing your feedback here.

Of course people are welcome to keep posting, but for my purposes, at least, we have enough data. (Again, just being considerate of their time, Attila.)

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
Haste Mar 28, 2009

Henry,
Why are you always in such a hurry?
Posting a survey in one language only is hardly the best way of obtaining a representative cross-section.
Or do you prefer to stop while you're still ahead?

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Necessary? Mar 28, 2009

As I said elsewhere, the beginner webmaster activates all possible functions, the experienced translator prunes all possible functions.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Who is "people"? Mar 29, 2009

Henry D wrote:

To continue running the survey would not be respectful of people's time.

Not to continue running the survey is not respectful of ProZ members/users opinions and needs.
I wonder why you are in a hurry. Perhaps "survey" is not the right term.

I am not sure who you mean by "people's time". Your time, your staff's time, my time, my colleages' time...?

Years ago, when I was a software developer, I learned one important thing: It is less expensive to avoid bugs (analysis/design) than to fix them (post-implementation). Involve your "customers" as early as possible (analysis/design) on a representative scale.

alessandra nespoli
alessandra nespoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
... Mar 29, 2009

First choice: #2
Also acceptable: #1 #3
Not acceptable: #4

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Please stick to the topic, polyglot45 Mar 29, 2009

polyglot45 wrote:
Why are you always in such a hurry?
Or do you prefer to stop while you're still ahead?

In general, polyglot45, we ask people to stick to the topic at hand, and to the substance of a given post, and not divert the focus of discussion to the person of a poster. (To put it differently, ad hominem commentary is discouraged here.) This helps to keep the tone constructive in the forums. I would appreciate your cooperation in this respect going forward.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Clarification for italengger Mar 29, 2009

italengger wrote:
Henry D wrote:
To continue running the survey would not be respectful of people's time.

Not to continue running the survey is not respectful of ProZ members/users opinions and needs.

To put it simply, based on the feedback received from a couple hundred people, I've formed an opinion on the situation. (I would say I've made a decision, but that would be subject to discussion with other staff members.) As I said, I'll post something within a few days.
Perhaps "survey" is not the right term.

Oh, it was definitely a survey. It wasn't a "vote", though. (ProZ.com is a business, as you recently pointed out.)
I am not sure who you mean by "people's time". Your time, your staff's time, my time, my colleages' time...?

I was thinking of survey respondents', ie. site users' time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flagging KudoZ answers - what's your choice?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »