Thread poster: S_G_C
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:46
Italian to English
You are right Oct 10, 2023

IrinaN wrote:

Can you imagine any other reasons to stay out of people's view other than "camera shy" or "anxiety?" I can, and due to some personal exchange I know that being shy is not the reason.

I now realise that asking why was ableist, intrusive, and frankly none of my business.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Consistency Oct 10, 2023

The translation industry has changed so much since I first started translating in around the year 2000. While work itself is often not consistent, our marketing efforts need to be. As someone wiser than me said, "it's all about the follow-up". It's no longer really enough to contact an agency once - we need to keep gently prodding until they give us work, or tell us they're not interested. It's also important to remember that not hearing from an agency doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to... See more
The translation industry has changed so much since I first started translating in around the year 2000. While work itself is often not consistent, our marketing efforts need to be. As someone wiser than me said, "it's all about the follow-up". It's no longer really enough to contact an agency once - we need to keep gently prodding until they give us work, or tell us they're not interested. It's also important to remember that not hearing from an agency doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to work with us... we need to appear on their radar at the right time. When contacting direct clients, we need to contact them an average of four times before they take notice. Nudging dormant agencies can also be a good strategy if there's an agency we enjoy working with but haven't heard from in a while.Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorana Oct 10, 2023

S_G_C wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I vaguely remember that a colleague based in France offered you a job here, but if I'm not mistaken, you turned it down or that colleague couldn't help because of VAT.

On the other hand, in one of your many threads some members have already offered you some solutions, tips and good advice, but it seems that nothing is suitable.

[Edited at 2023-10-09 15:45 GMT]

I didn't turn anything down, but it's true that I do not hold an international tax code. I've explained why elsewhere.
The fact that it seems I am not considering or applying people's suggestions doesn't mean I truly do nothing. I just didn't publicly detail what I tried/did so far.

I didn't say anything for sure and I don't "memorise" what other people do with their lives. I just knew it had something to do with VAT, and probably that was the reason to decline it.
Also, I didn't say that. Please don't twist what I said.
If you're already making efforts then you're on the right track!
Yes, I agree with some views here, it's nobody's business...
There's one thing I can't stand, and that's people poking their noses into my life. But if they do that, it's because I've given them a reason to do so, i.e. disclosing details of my personal or professional life.
I sympathise with your problems, but have you ever wondered how many of your colleagues face or faced the same situation and haven't had the same help as you here?
A few years ago, technology was still in its early stage and there wasn't much we could do, beyond what was available to us. There wasn't even Proz or other communities alike...
Today, technology is on your side.

Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
On rudeness Oct 10, 2023

IrinaN wrote:

How rude and how judgemental

I can agree. Unfortunately, the world doesn't have a lot of good manners.
And we can see it here too, when we've spent a part of our time helping colleagues with various issues, both technical and non-technical, and we don't get a simple "thank you".
Being polite means that too: showing the listener or reader your gratitude and respect. We can express it here with our agree.

Lingua 5B
Helena Chavarria
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Public post Oct 10, 2023

Public posts are everybody's business, that's why they are public and a question has been addressed publicly, personal information shared publicly (about her personal life etc.). Mind you, there are 20 or more such public threads. Yes, they become everybody's business unfortunately. Some people tried to help, then they had been swiftly dismissed, but that's not rude of course.

She said she can afford to work for free, do many free tests, share free tips and educate others for free.
... See more
Public posts are everybody's business, that's why they are public and a question has been addressed publicly, personal information shared publicly (about her personal life etc.). Mind you, there are 20 or more such public threads. Yes, they become everybody's business unfortunately. Some people tried to help, then they had been swiftly dismissed, but that's not rude of course.

She said she can afford to work for free, do many free tests, share free tips and educate others for free. For instance, I cannot afford that. I need to make money in order to make a living.
Collapse

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:46
English to Turkish
Where is the UK when you need it? Oct 10, 2023

Reading the OP's posts and learning of her woeful situation with her young daughter, I can't help but think back to the mid noughties when Romanians and other Eastern Europeans were flocking to the UK to avail themselves of the many benefits that the British taxpayer so kindly bestowed upon them...
Given the urgency of her situation, I sincerely believe that hers would've been one case where the distribution of such funds were truly justified (as opposed to that fat Romanian gypsy with 14
... See more
Reading the OP's posts and learning of her woeful situation with her young daughter, I can't help but think back to the mid noughties when Romanians and other Eastern Europeans were flocking to the UK to avail themselves of the many benefits that the British taxpayer so kindly bestowed upon them...
Given the urgency of her situation, I sincerely believe that hers would've been one case where the distribution of such funds were truly justified (as opposed to that fat Romanian gypsy with 14 children who helped himself to thousands of pounds in benefits to build himself a mansion in Romania!) But, alas, that ship has long since sailed for her! The Tories, chavs and football hooligans saw to that (rot them!), leaving the freeloaders and Turks (who were pinning their hopes on the so-called 'Ankara Agreement') in the lurch...
Considering how immediately she needs financial safety, I think it's clear that freelance translation is not for the OP. It takes years to establish yourself and time seems to be one luxury that the OP can't afford right now. It took me almost 3 years to have a steady stream of clients, and by that time I was making something like 15 to 20k a year, which is an absolute joke in any EU country.
So I'd advise Sorona to put her energy into something else, and look for a 9 to 5 job with a fixed income in a department store, office or school (I believe she is also giving language lessons in addition to translation).
Collapse

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Emails Oct 11, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

If you're already making efforts then you're on the right track!

If only people read their emails...

expressisverbis

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Others do it too Oct 11, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

She said she can afford to work for free, do many free tests, share free tips and educate others for free. For instance, I cannot afford that. I need to make money in order to make a living.

It's something that other Romanians do too, share free tips and educate others for free. There are several FB groups dedicated to the Romanian translators.
I've been helped by other translators, including here, on this forum. They didn't charge me a fee for their help. So why shouldn't I return the favor if and when I can?
Yes, I've been told that selfishness would serve me better. That it's a dog eat dog kind of world. However, that's not what I'm made of. It's not my nature.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Yup Oct 11, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

So I'd advise Sorona to put her energy into something else, and look for a 9 to 5 job with a fixed income in a department store, office or school (I believe she is also giving language lessons in addition to translation).

Trying that too, actually (that's what I'm doing right now).

[Edited at 2023-10-11 06:45 GMT]

[Editat la 2023-10-11 08:25 GMT]

Baran Keki

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Funny logic Oct 11, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Some of my nearby neighborhoods are populated with people living on very modest incomes in inexpensive older houses, some live on just social security or work the not-so-well-paid jobs. But they share and help each other every way they can when the need comes or just because they are neighbors. Does this mean that they are all secret millionnaires?

P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is this a joke? Oct 11, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Stuff

Tom in London
Zea_Mays
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't know where to start Oct 11, 2023

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Stuff

There's so much racism, sexism, and God knows what else in that post that I hope it's all a sick joke. The OP is in Romania. Remarks like "fat Romanian gypsy with 14 children" are completely unacceptable.

[Edited at 2023-10-11 06:52 GMT]

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Rachel Waddington
Rita Translator

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Joke and no joke Oct 11, 2023

P.L.F. Persio wrote:
Is this a joke?

If you're referring to my last post, I was being mostly serious, just alluding to the process of Brexit and the golden age that preceded it. But my previous posts in this thread about online classes, conning willing translators etc. were meant to be a joke. Though, oddly enough, they were taken quite seriously by some people (just shows you how the 'Translation Masterminds' of this world stand to make good money by tapping into your commonsense). Btw the OP knows I'm being sarcastic, she has taken no offense by my posts.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How do you know? Oct 11, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

...w the OP knows I'm being sarcastic, she has taken no offense by my posts.

How do you know?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
I know Oct 11, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
How do you know?

I've been communicating with her by email. She's not a paid member, thus her posts are being vetted and it takes a long time for them to appear.
Here is the 'overweight Romanian person' (I should've known calling somebody fat was politically incorrect, racist and sexist in western Europe, my apologies).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4z238OM8Bs
I know that some people here are ready and willing to take offense at the slightest opportunity, but I believe I've made a valid point in that post. There are ****s like that person who abuse the system, and then there are people like the OP who are genuinely in need of the benefits provided by that system. Life is unfair sometimes...

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work through fellow translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »