What training should I take to become a competent Transit user?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
German to English
Aug 12, 2010

Hi everybody,
I have just had an enquiry from an agency asking for transit. Which version should I go for Freelance or FL Pro? Does anyone offer training courses (I am an experienced Trados user)? I'd like to know what training I would need to be a competent Transit user - how long would it take? how much would it cost?
Thanks
Gillian

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:50
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
try first Aug 12, 2010

AFAIK, you can get a 30-day full trial version. Then, a favoured one-year rental, with the rent deducted from the license fee if you buy it after that year. The actual purchase prices may depend on the country you buy it in. The differences between version are various, but perhaps the most significant one depends on whether you will only recieve projects from project managers (the least expensive), create projects for yourself only, create projects other people would work on (the most expensive)... See more
AFAIK, you can get a 30-day full trial version. Then, a favoured one-year rental, with the rent deducted from the license fee if you buy it after that year. The actual purchase prices may depend on the country you buy it in. The differences between version are various, but perhaps the most significant one depends on whether you will only recieve projects from project managers (the least expensive), create projects for yourself only, create projects other people would work on (the most expensive).

Regarding the learning curve, there is the beginnig stage in which you have to get into the "philosophy" of language pairs, which is a bit different from Trados (in a way, the translated texts are the TMs themselves as understood by Trados); the technique of translating itself is about the same in all CAT tools, with different approaches to user firendliness, ergonomy, etc. These are highly subjective, but IMHO the money and effort spent on Transit are worth it.

Antonin
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 21:50
German to Arabic
+ ...
Transit & Training Aug 13, 2010

Hi Gillian,

You need to ask your client about the Transit version he uses.

1- If he uses Transit NXT, you have to have either a Transit XV version or a NXT version.
2- If he uses Transit XV, you can think about the very old free version Transit Satellite PE.

As for training, as you know, Transit includes lots of very useful, advanced features and it all depends on:
- the version you need to use,
- the tasks you want
... See more
Hi Gillian,

You need to ask your client about the Transit version he uses.

1- If he uses Transit NXT, you have to have either a Transit XV version or a NXT version.
2- If he uses Transit XV, you can think about the very old free version Transit Satellite PE.

As for training, as you know, Transit includes lots of very useful, advanced features and it all depends on:
- the version you need to use,
- the tasks you want to master.

Custom Transit Training can be provided if needed.

Best regards
Arabic Translation Team
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
STAR Exhibiting at the virtual event Aug 13, 2010

STAR will be exhibiting at this year's virtual conference - http://www.proz.com/translation3 (free to attend) and will have representatives at their booth. I assume you cannot wait until then to make a decision, but you will have an opportunity to communicate with representatives from STAR and certainly ask many of the same questions.

Most software companies will be offering discounts sur
... See more
STAR will be exhibiting at this year's virtual conference - http://www.proz.com/translation3 (free to attend) and will have representatives at their booth. I assume you cannot wait until then to make a decision, but you will have an opportunity to communicate with representatives from STAR and certainly ask many of the same questions.

Most software companies will be offering discounts surrounding the virtual conference as well.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What training should I take to become a competent Transit user?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »