how to set subtitling rates with a rush fee, no script
Thread poster: Julia Courtney
Julia Courtney
Julia Courtney
United Kingdom
May 1, 2023

Hi all,

I have been invited to join the translation team for a Danish language services company and asked to provide them with information regarding my rates. I have scoured the forums and found some valuable info but still unsure what to charge as there is no script and they want a quick turnaround for these projects. Thus they are asking for my "rush fee". I am new to subtitling and have no experience in setting rates, much less "rush fees". I am certainly willing to work for lowe
... See more
Hi all,

I have been invited to join the translation team for a Danish language services company and asked to provide them with information regarding my rates. I have scoured the forums and found some valuable info but still unsure what to charge as there is no script and they want a quick turnaround for these projects. Thus they are asking for my "rush fee". I am new to subtitling and have no experience in setting rates, much less "rush fees". I am certainly willing to work for lower rates as to gain experience. But at the same time, I am keenly aware of the importance of not underselling chronically undervalued language services and thereby fostering the culture of unliveable translation/ subtitling rates.

Here are the specs they gave me, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Duration: approx. 35-45 min
Task description: German transcription to English Close Caption file. Please deliver a text transcription in German too.
Platform: Apple Music
Materials: No script available only video.
Delivery file: CEA 708 Standard SCC
Rate per min: What is your rate for this kind of work? I need rush fee and normal fee
Deadline: 24-48 hours from you get the task
Guidelines to follow: Netflix TTSG.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to set subtitling rates with a rush fee, no script

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »