Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 12:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a good idea ... Jul 23, 2008

Henry D wrote:

... Perhaps Drew is running a bit here with crowdsourcing as a buzzword. I'll ask him to edit his post.

If Drew wrote it, then he presumably thinks it.

What's writ is writ - best let it stand and be answered.

MediaMatrix

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Please explain what the advantages are for us? Jul 23, 2008

Quote from the press release:

“We’ve pulled together some of the world’s leading translation technology companies to work on this mammoth translation project,” said Steve Desmeules, President and CEO, Accu Translations. “We’re very proud to have made this special project possible with the generous help from Clay Tablet, Across Systems and ProZ.com. All these companies will be providing technology and resources to help Accu Translations fund this worthwhile global project
... See more
Quote from the press release:

“We’ve pulled together some of the world’s leading translation technology companies to work on this mammoth translation project,” said Steve Desmeules, President and CEO, Accu Translations. “We’re very proud to have made this special project possible with the generous help from Clay Tablet, Across Systems and ProZ.com. All these companies will be providing technology and resources to help Accu Translations fund this worthwhile global project.”

I am convinced that Drew means what he said, and in my opinion this is supported by the links he provided in his post.

To clarify my position:

I have no problem that any outsourcer posts an project with religious/political/esoteric content.

I do have a problem with the fact that Proz is spending money/resources for a project to translate this type of content

I do have a problem with the fact that Proz is investing in technology that in my opinion weakens the position of the people that earn a living by getting paid for their translations.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:13
SITE FOUNDER
True Jul 23, 2008

What's writ is writ - best let it stand and be answered.

It reflected a misunderstanding about the industry, as you pointed out. Drew has a media background, not translation, and by the way he works remotely. I prefer to correct it here on the spot.
If Drew wrote it, then he presumably thinks it.

True. Drew and I will discuss internally.

I am closing the thread, as I believe the situation is probably pretty clear.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com to offer Connect platform for use in 100+ language project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »